Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24's Cancer Journey
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

MarinerMatt24's Cancer Journey

This thread currently has 47,688 views. Print
29 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMatt24
February 1, 2011, 1:41am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +34 / -9
Approval: -1
you all know me by my username, but my proper name is Matthew, but everyone just calls me Matty or Matt...  

well i've got alot of stuff on my mind at the moment and i thought i may share it with you all...

on May 1st 2008, i was diagnosed with a form of cancer called "RHADOMYOSARCOMA", complicated name, i know. i was 16 when i was diagnosed and to tell you truth, i couldn't believe it at the time, a normally healthy, slightly athletic person like me, to te be quite honest i couldn't believe it at the time. the fact is, it had been coming...

in november 2007 i was studying sport at my local 6th form college, when i started to notice something abnormal on a certain part of my anatomy, and it wasn't until the day after i broke up for the christmas holidays, 21st of december, when i mentioned it to my parents,. yeah i know it was stupid of me to leave it till that late to mention it to my mum n dad, but how else could i put it to them at the time  

well we had a family holiday to Florida coming up at the end of march, ironically we flew out while town were playing franchise at Wemnley, and i was damn well determined to go on this holiday at the time ...

so came back middle of april, went straight in hospital, and had this massive tumour removed. well a week and a half after being diagnosed i began a 6 month long course of really aggressive chemotherapy that left me really ran down and feeling awful, especially when i couldn't eat solid food for a long period. well all my friends from school and college were there, and they came over on my 17th in June

note how i look really gaunt there, that was just before my 3rd round of chemo

the highlight of my birthday was getting that seasons new home shirt, and a letter from Alan Buckley saying that "i hope you get well soon, and that your back at Blundell Park in the near future"   . in November i had a major operation to remove Lymph Nodes and other bits of tumour, aswell as the right spermatic chord   , and then in the middle of December i began a 5 week long course of Radiotherapy. The only Home game i made that season was the 5-1 win over Lincoln City   so it felt really good to be back at Blundell Park after missing the majority of the season, i did attend the scunny game in pre-season aswell as the paint trophy game against them, so 3 games in one season was about it...

then a week before my 18th, i got the phone call i'd been waiting for saying that they'd given me as much treatment that they could throw at me, and that they would take out the tubes that had been in me for the best part of 11 months   , of course that wasn't to happen until after going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. well i've had routine check-ups and chest x-rays since, and my recent scan a few weeks ago i'll be getting the results back thursday, but i'm god damn terrified about the results though  

but you look at me now, and i feel as good as i did this time 4 years ago  

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarinerMatt24

<*(((((>< <*(((((><

COMON YOU MARINERS!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Biccys
February 1, 2011, 9:27am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quite a journey you've had fella. Really hope things go well on thursday. Keep fighting.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 282
Rodley Mariner
February 1, 2011, 9:28am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Will be thinking of you on Thursday Matt - really hope it's good news for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 282
gobby
February 1, 2011, 9:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
So much Trauma for one so young, but keep fighting buddy, really hope Thursday brings the reults you want.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 282
Les Brechin
February 1, 2011, 12:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
All the best mate and I hope you get the results you want.

I also got a signed shirt and a get well card too from Mr Buckley when I was laid in in Hull Royal just after I had treatment to remove a brain tumour but I was lucky as it wasn't cancerous and I haven't had to have any chemo or radiotherapy.

Family will certainly help you get through this mate, I know I couldn't have got through what I did without mine.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 282
Brazilnut
February 1, 2011, 1:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
best of luck mate....try not top worry....you cant alter the results now .......it will be ok....sometimes you just know these things

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 282
dave12
February 1, 2011, 1:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
glad you've got a lot better mate.Having such a problem with your health for someone so young must have been really hard .Glad you feel much better  and I hope the test results bring good news for you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 282
mariner91
February 1, 2011, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
All the best and I hope it is good news.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 282
grimsby pete
February 1, 2011, 4:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Keep your chin up Matt you are a fighter,

You will beat this thing mate,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 282
MargeMariner
February 1, 2011, 5:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
I know  only too well, what you and your parents are going through,  people tell you to be positive, it's hard, but you have youth and fitness on your side. It's great you feel you can talk about it on here. Chin up and hope it's a good report on thursday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 282
29 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24's Cancer Journey

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.