ponnyfan
August 21, 2011, 12:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from 1600
WHS is bullshit.

Today was always going to be about attitudes, effort and a solid defensive showing - how come myself + several others predicted a 0-0 (albeit with some luck but the principle of soaking up the pressure was always on the cards...)?

Look at the formation - 4-3-3 but easy to switch to a 4-5-1 with a 5 man midfield, does it get more obvious than that ?

Yes we could have gone a lot more attacking to try to create chances, but in light of Braintree was it really the best time to risk another collpase away from home if we conceded early ? How would that affect everyone's confidence from players to fans ? The effects could have been disastrous.

Whether you agree or like it or not, today was all about keeping a clean sheet and building confidence - job done !

Realitman you don't even understand the basic reality of the situation , let alone football.
You're so far up your own @rse you call others stupid but if brains were dynamite you couldn't blow your nose.
It's no suprise to see a complete tosspot who gets kicks out of seeing the club fail would be happy to risk a further demise of confidence before 2 important home games where the real tests start - I hope no-one gives you the time of day cos you're obviously not a GTFC fan at all...
Spot on ! 6 points off top ! UTM!

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 204
80sglory
August 21, 2011, 12:56am
Guest User

This is what they should have done last Saturday. You build a successful side from the back. I would take a load of 1-0 and 0-0 scorelines from now to the end of October if it meant we got points in the bag and grew some confidence.

So would I but don't think going defensive is necessarily any guarantee of a load of 1-0 scorelines.

Just look at all of Woodsy's away draws - the defence stopped leaking goals but we didn't win a thing on our travels until we HAD to attack (trying to survive relegation).
Then we started conceding again but we also started winning a few too !
Alas, the previous 25 match winless run left it all too late  
I think the truth is, he never really "sorted out the defence", we just stopped conceding because we got more men behind the ball to grind out draws.  

Don't think we did anything wrong whatsoever coming out on the front foot at Braintree, think it was a very good and positive thing.  
For one, we didn't take our chances - we could have been ahead.
Also 3 of the goals we conceded were from corners(Scott said we'd been working on them!) so don't think you can blame the 5-0 on gaps in defence from going attacking - it was just that players lacked concentration then the wheels fell off...

Generally I hate going defensive - 3 pts rewards attacking play.
But in light of the Braintree disaster, today was almost an exception to the rule - any repeat scoreline would have been disasterous for everyone !!!    
So we kept it tight.... ?
Confidence clearly needed rebuilding - you could almost call it a recovery mission or "stopping the rot" ahead of Tuesday.

I fully agree that you always need to be solid at the back.
But unless we attack to create enough chances and WIN games we're gonna be stuck at the wrong end of the table and no-one will be happy...

So I just hope we remain positive, attack, dominate and try to win our fair share of away games this season.
If we don't try then we might as well kiss any thoughts of promotion goodbye (if we still believe we can do it which I think we have to !)

I say onwards and upwards, show respect but let the opposition worry about us more than we worry about them.
Let's try to keep faith we can still be one of the top sides in this league.  
Reply: 191 - 204
Lew19
August 21, 2011, 10:36am
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
alot better game yesturday got copulated over by the ref and linesman but well done to the lads!. massive thanks goes to macca for that penno save justice was served the only thing i dont like is the 433 formation it does not work and the sooner S&H realise it the better. we are getting ripped apart down the wings i would like to see the team like this.

Hearn          Makofo

Eagle    Disley   Church     Coulson

Artus    Garner  Ianson     Wood

Mckeown

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 204
Abdul19
August 21, 2011, 12:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Can't see us ever playing that front 2. But yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see a return to 4-4-2 on Tuesday (especially if Church is fit).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 204
ginnywings
August 21, 2011, 1:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Lew19
alot better game yesturday got copulated over by the ref and linesman but well done to the lads!. massive thanks goes to macca for that penno save justice was served the only thing i dont like is the 433 formation it does not work and the sooner S&H realise it the better. we are getting ripped apart down the wings i would like to see the team like this.

Hearn          Makofo

Eagle    Disley   Church     Coulson

Artus    Garner  Ianson     Wood

Mckeown

Depends what you define as 4-3-3.If the two forward wide men drop into midfield quickly,we then become 4-5-1 and the wingers of the opposition should be nullified.When we brought on Makofo,i was surprised to hear Tondeur commenting on his tracking back and tackling.At one point he ran 60 yards to get a tackle in.If you have forward players out wide with the energy to do this,then 4-3-3 works well.

Our attacking play will come into effect with a growth in confidence and that doesn't happen when you get a 5-0 battering at Braintree.When teams are struggling,the way forward is to keep it tight and look for clean sheets to give you the growing confidence to then go and impose yourself on the opposition.

I always thought that our start looked a very tricky one and so it proved.League favourites first up and then a trip to a newly promoted side playing their first home game against one of the bigger names in the division.Even then,we could have been out of site before they scored and the managers cannot legislate for defenders not doing the basics.Two goals just before half time was a crushing blow.Nearly all newly pomoted sides are full of confidence and momentum,no mattter what level they are at.

I think the point yesterday and surviving a sending off and penalty was just what we needed but we must build on that now and get at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

We also need to give the managers time before we start sharpening our knives.We can't keep hounding them out of the club and giving Fenty the green light to panic and get rid again.Someone has to be given the chance to build somewhere along the line.Buckley and Slade both took a while to get us going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 204
80sglory
August 21, 2011, 4:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Nearly all newly pomoted sides are full of confidence and momentum,no mattter what level they are at.

Very true.

Quoted from ginnywings
I think the point yesterday and surviving a sending off and penalty was just what we needed but we must build on that now and get at least 4 points from the next 2 games.

A win in the next 2 for sure.

Reply: 195 - 204
upthestripes
August 21, 2011, 4:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
After a poor start we will go on a long unbeaten run that will rocket us up the table, then we will go on to finish 3rd.
Marinette!!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 204
cmackenzie4
August 21, 2011, 5:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from upthestripes
After a poor start we will go on a long unbeaten run that will rocket us up the table, then we will go on to finish 3rd.
Marinette!!

Is that 3rd from top or 3rd from bottom Ian ?  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 204
upthestripes
August 21, 2011, 7:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Is that 3rd from top or 3rd from bottom Ian ?  

lol, I'd prefer not to say then I've doubled my chances of being right!
Nah 3rd from top, definitely 3rd from top

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 204
barralad
August 21, 2011, 7:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 1600
WHS is bullshit.

Today was always going to be about attitudes, effort and a solid defensive showing - how come myself + several others predicted a 0-0 (albeit with some luck but the principle of soaking up the pressure was always on the cards...)?

Look at the formation - 4-3-3 but easy to switch to a 4-5-1 with a 5 man midfield, does it get more obvious than that ?

Yes we could have gone a lot more attacking to try to create chances, but in light of Braintree was it really the best time to risk another collpase away from home if we conceded early ? How would that affect everyone's confidence from players to fans ? The effects could have been disastrous.

Whether you agree or like it or not, today was all about keeping a clean sheet and building confidence - job done !

Realitman you don't even understand the basic reality of the situation , let alone football.
You're so far up your own @rse you call others stupid but if brains were dynamite you couldn't blow your nose.
It's no suprise to see a complete tosspot who gets kicks out of seeing the club fail would be happy to risk a further demise of confidence before 2 important home games where the real tests start - I hope no-one gives you the time of day cos you're obviously not a GTFC fan at all...

I can go along with this so far. The worrying aspect for me is that had Newport scored (and you are right we did ride our luck and not only with the penalty) we would have been struggling to respond/react and push for an equaliser. It was most definitely not a calm, measured defensive performance. The defensive side was obviously 110% better than Braintree, thanks I believe to the inclusion of Kempson who brought the best out of Pearson-the latter having easily his best game in a Town shirt. The rest of it was decidedly no better. We didn't have any measure of control of the midfield although Thompson showed more bite than anyone else has this season. It was nice to see someone get amongst their players and unsettling them. We created zilch and on the basis that we have to score to get this seemingly elusive win the so called creative players need to get much more involved. There appears to be no identifiable tactics when we have the ball.
It was certainly "Job Done" at a ground where we got bullied out of a result last year. I join with you in hoping that the teams confidence levels rise on the back of it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 204
21 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Newport 0-0 Grimsby Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.