Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 312 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,594 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 14, 2014, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Not going to comment on our ability or inability to win the play offs, as i have had my say on other threads at other times, but i will once again mention that it's damn annoying that any dissenters against Hurst and the team are labelled as "doom mongers", "negative posters" and "moaning twits", whilst those with a more positive outlook on our chances are somehow deemed as "sensible" and "supportive".

I don't like the way Hurst sets us up to play the game and i think a team reflects it's manager. I think Hurst is dull and uninspiring and he will never be loved by all the fans, as previous managers have been. That's not negativity, that's mine and others opinions.

I also don't see how being all happy clappy and positive on a message board helps the team in any way, just as i don't think the opposite view hinders the team in any way. It's just words and opinions at the end of the day. Negativity in the crowd can affect the team, granted, but that is going to happen, whatever is said or not said on here or other outlets. It's up to the manager and team to dispel that crowd negativity with one or two convincing performances.

I sincerely hope that Town go up this year, but i feel a lack of the killer instinct will do for us like it did last season and in the Slade season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 144
FishOutOfWater
April 14, 2014, 12:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
Not going to comment on our ability or inability to win the play offs, as i have had my say on other threads at other times, but i will once again mention that it's damn annoying that any dissenters against Hurst and the team are labelled as "doom mongers", "negative posters" and "moaning twits", whilst those with a more positive outlook on our chances are somehow deemed as "sensible" and "supportive".

I don't like the way Hurst sets us up to play the game and i think a team reflects it's manager. I think Hurst is dull and uninspiring and he will never be loved by all the fans, as previous managers have been. That's not negativity, that's mine and others opinions.

I also don't see how being all happy clappy and positive on a message board helps the team in any way, just as i don't think the opposite view hinders the team in any way. It's just words and opinions at the end of the day. Negativity in the crowd can affect the team, granted, but that is going to happen, whatever is said or not said on here or other outlets. It's up to the manager and team to dispel that crowd negativity with one or two convincing performances.

I sincerely hope that Town go up this year, but i feel a lack of the killer instinct will do for us like it did last season and in the Slade season.

Don't intend to start nit-picking,  but do you mean we've actually had a manager who all the fans loved? Or am I reading your comment wrong?

If you do mean a manager that's a favourite of every fan, we have you might have to go back a long way to when that happened....20 plus years at least I'd say? Buckley's first spell maybe?

Even then I recall him and his players getting stick too...he had the temerity to bring in non-league players so an ex non-league manager was going to take us only one way, or so those moaners of years gone by used to say. Not quite how that panned out though as I remember things

Time will tell what will happen with Hurst I guess...might be here for another year or so but it depends on what he achieves here.

If he fails us, then he'll get the push in due course but if he does happen to succeed maybe he'll move on to bigger and better things than us, like Slade did
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 121 - 144
ginnywings
April 14, 2014, 12:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Don't intend to start nit-picking,  but do you mean we've actually had a manager who all the fans loved? Or am I reading your comment wrong?

If you do mean a manager that's a favourite of every fan, we have you might have to go back a long way to when that happened....20 plus years at least I'd say? Buckley's first spell maybe?

Even then I recall him and his players getting stick too...he had the temerity to bring in non-league players so an ex non-league manager was going to take us only one way, or so those moaners of years gone by used to say. Not quite how that panned out though as I remember things

Time will tell what will happen with Hurst I guess...might be here for another year or so but it depends on what he achieves here.

If he fails us, then he'll get the push in due course but if he does happen to succeed maybe he'll move on to bigger and better things than us, like Slade did

Yeah, possibly worded wrongly by me. Think McMenemy was held in high regard and possibly Kerr. Buckley had some opposition but won most around in the end. Dave Booth did a decent job but i can't really recall how the fans viewed him

I think Hurst is another Slade. Not liked by some but appreciated, if not loved, by others.

Him and his teams very rarely excite, but are efficient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 144
marinette
April 14, 2014, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Just as you feel it is damned annoying to be labelled as a ‘doom–monger’, I’m equally sure Mr Hurst finds it damned annoying to be labelled as ‘dull and uninspiring’, and the less negative posters among us might also feel a little peeved at being called ‘happy-clappy’.  They are all opinions, and all derogatory.

It seems to me that we’ve got two factions going on here – those who predict the worst (let’s call them the Eeyores) versus those who live in hopeful expectation that ‘something will turn up ‘, (the Mr Micawbers).

I wonder if it might be more effective if we were all on the same side, rather than this non-stop bashing each other over the head as we approach the crucial, business end of the season.  My guess is, when the chips are down and it’s a really important game, we WILL be on the same side.  It’s just getting there that’s the problem.

Private Message
Reply: 123 - 144
Garth
April 14, 2014, 8:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, possibly worded wrongly by me. Think McMenemy was held in high regard and possibly Kerr. Buckley had some opposition but won most around in the end. Dave Booth did a decent job but i can't really recall how the fans viewed him

I think Hurst is another Slade. Not liked by some but appreciated, if not loved, by others.

Him and his teams very rarely excite, but are efficient.

Sounds sense but is it? in those days tinternet was not invented so no fans forum like the Fishy existed to air ones views, you either got a ten second spot on the radio or relied on the local paper to say your piece, its neither fair nor accurate to compare the views of the fans of Buckley, Booth and Hurst if the feedback options were not equal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 144
Trawler
April 14, 2014, 8:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from marinette

I wonder if it might be more effective if we were all on the same side, rather than this non-stop bashing each other over the head as we approach the crucial, business end of the season.  My guess is, when the chips are down and it’s a really important game, we WILL be on the same side.  It’s just getting there that’s the problem.

We win away - when fans are all on the same side - giving consistently loud vocal support.  By contrast I felt Blundell Park was like a morgue on Saturday.  We still won so I can't complain. At least there was not much barracking or booing of our own players. But I hope our fans are a bit more up for it at BP if we make the play offs.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 144
April 14, 2014, 9:04am
Guest User
Quoted from Trawler

We win away - when fans are all on the same side - giving consistently loud vocal support.  By contrast I felt Blundell Park was like a morgue on Saturday.  We still won so I can't complain. At least there was not much barracking or booing of our own players. But I hope our fans are a bit more up for it at BP if we make the play offs.

You can't just blame the fans for poor vocal support at home, watching Hursts dull sitting back tatics doesn't exactly inspire, many times this season I've found myself back in the bar well before halftime because sitting there in the cold watching hoofball is enough to send a glass eye to sleep.
hurst should be fireing the team up when they come out, playing at high tempo from the start none of this sitting back being cagey negative excrement, they start games at home as if we are playing Real Madrid sometimes, there is little difference between all the teams in this league from what I have seen, to win games in this league  the team with that bit of arrogance and belief just like fleetwood the other season, and just like luton this season will be the team that wins.
Reply: 126 - 144
Trawler
April 14, 2014, 9:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 2578

You can't just blame the fans for poor vocal support at home, watching Hursts dull sitting back tatics doesn't exactly inspire, many times this season I've found myself back in the bar well before halftime because sitting there in the cold watching hoofball is enough to send a glass eye to sleep.

What do you think we're being served up when we're away - champagne football?  No it's often dire and turgid - just like it is at home.  The difference is Grim74 that those supporters going away have made a conscious decision to give the team their backing.   Fans at home have a choice - either they do or they don't.  Regardless of the quality of the football being served up.

You also have a choice whether or not you retreat to the bar "well before half time" - it's your choice. But at this stage in the season?

The point being made by many on here is that we have reached the point in the season where the support at games home and away should be 'blind'.  Roar them on - win lose or draw.  Just get behind them whatever the quality on the pitch.  The famous 12th man - who knows - maybe, just maybe it will be enough to see us promoted.

I guess we'll never know if we all retreat to the bar.

There will be a time for post-mortems, where everyone can get out their daggers for the players, Hurst or Fenty, or none of the above.  The time in my view is not at BP, not now.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 144
RonMariner
April 14, 2014, 1:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,005
Gold Stars: 216
We are looking good for a play off place. Our opponents will be three out the following group of six teams ; Cambridge, Halifax, Gateshead, Braintree, Alfreton, or Kiddiminster.  We have in fact beaten five of those six teams this season.

So we are definitely good enough. That doesn't mean we will win the playoffs, but I think it wrong to say we are not good enough to stand a chance of doing so.

It is often said that the table does not lie. After 42 games we are right up there and have a small cushion over sixth place. We are one of the best handful of sides in this division.

If, as seems likely, we make it into the playoffs, we have as good a chance as anyone. And for those that think Cambridge will walk it, I would simply refer them to Kiddiminster last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 144
FishOutOfWater
April 14, 2014, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RonMariner
We are looking good for a play off place. Our opponents will be three out the following group of six teams ; Cambridge, Halifax, Gateshead, Braintree, Alfreton, or Kiddiminster.  We have in fact beaten five of those six teams this season.

So we are definitely good enough. That doesn't mean we will win the playoffs, but I think it wrong to say we are not good enough to stand a chance of doing so.

It is often said that the table does not lie. After 42 games we are right up there and have a small cushion over sixth place. We are one of the best handful of sides in this division.

If, as seems likely, we make it into the playoffs, we have as good a chance as anyone. And for those that think Cambridge will walk it, I would simply refer them to Kiddiminster last season.

Likewise when Wrexham beat Kiddy both home and away in the semi finals, I'd argue a majority would have thought that as they'd already beaten us at Wembley they would be the logical choice against Newport but that didn't happen

Whilst Cambridge are probably going to be favourites to go up via the play-offs there are no guarantees whatsoever

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 129 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.