Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 381 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,595 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
brad_gtfc
April 14, 2014, 2:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I'll share my opinion on whether we are good enough after the play offs, at the minute, we are picking up points which is the most important thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 144
Abdul19
April 14, 2014, 2:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from brad_gtfc
I'll share my opinion on whether we are good enough after the play offs

We'll know the answer then anyway!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 144
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2014, 5:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Interesting that Steve Burr doesn't think Town are as good this season as we were last year. But the point is really - does it matter? Football is a results business and I'll take 1-0 scrambles and 3 points for any and every game to the end of this season then go from there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 144
RoboCod
April 14, 2014, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Interesting that Steve Burr doesn't think Town are as good this season as we were last year. But the point is really - does it matter? Football is a results business and I'll take 1-0 scrambles and 3 points for any and every game to the end of this season then go from there.

And last year we couldn't beat Kidderminster, League or Cup. At the end of the day if the players have given their all from kick off to the final whistle I can't complain. Some of the starts to games, and the frustrating lapses during games do throw up the question if this is always the case, however.
Fix that and we'll beat Halifax and have every chance of going up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 144
acko338
April 14, 2014, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Most if not all of this side can play a one off storming game - Colbeck, on his game, is unplayable, for example.

However, what we have not yet seen consistently is all 11 having storming games together.

There have been excellent games - the FA cup run - but the league seems to splutter along with the wins just enough to get us up to third currently.

We should be aiming for the three important games to be when the play offs and final are played.  

That's when the team must have total support, full shouting and encouragement, player praise and no negatives.

Just for all three matches hopefully, be the 12th player behind Grimsby Town - it's a chance to return once and for all back to the League - support Hurst... and whoever he chooses to play in those games !

No Newport out-thinking the team this time, no team physically playing us off the park, no more missed penalties if given, no one thinking that the players have not given their all !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 144
April 14, 2014, 6:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Trawler

What do you think we're being served up when we're away - champagne football?  No it's often dire and turgid - just like it is at home.  The difference is Grim74 that those supporters going away have made a conscious decision to give the team their backing.   Fans at home have a choice - either they do or they don't.  Regardless of the quality of the football being served up.

You also have a choice whether or not you retreat to the bar "well before half time" - it's your choice. But at this stage in the season?

The point being made by many on here is that we have reached the point in the season where the support at games home and away should be 'blind'.  Roar them on - win lose or draw.  Just get behind them whatever the quality on the pitch.  The famous 12th man - who knows - maybe, just maybe it will be enough to see us promoted.

I guess we'll never know if we all retreat to the bar.

There will be a time for post-mortems, where everyone can get out their daggers for the players, Hurst or Fenty, or none of the above.  The time in my view is not at BP, not now.

I agree regarding away support but you still can't blame the home fans, Gateshead seem do ok with no vocal support and playing attractive football by all accounts.
Reply: 135 - 144
mariner2000
April 14, 2014, 7:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3

I think this sums up totally what I've been saying, not a patch on last year.  Is it a poorer league?  Hopefully we'll still go up but is Hurst good enough on his own?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 136 - 144
sydney
April 14, 2014, 7:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Agree overall with the comments and fear as well if we do make playoffs it could be the same disappointment as last year but we have looked good in
Kidderminster Home
Cambridge away
Macclesfield away
Scunthorpe in the cup, both games
Northampton and Huddersfield in the cup
so we can do it, we have played well in some fixtures.
We just have to keep the faith..
Come on Town..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 144
ginnywings
April 14, 2014, 11:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from marinette

Just as you feel it is damned annoying to be labelled as a ‘doom–monger’, I’m equally sure Mr Hurst finds it damned annoying to be labelled as ‘dull and uninspiring’, and the less negative posters among us might also feel a little peeved at being called ‘happy-clappy’.  They are all opinions, and all derogatory.

It seems to me that we’ve got two factions going on here – those who predict the worst (let’s call them the Eeyores) versus those who live in hopeful expectation that ‘something will turn up ‘, (the Mr Micawbers).

I wonder if it might be more effective if we were all on the same side, rather than this non-stop bashing each other over the head as we approach the crucial, business end of the season.  My guess is, when the chips are down and it’s a really important game, we WILL be on the same side.  It’s just getting there that’s the problem.

I thought we were all on the same side. Some of us have different views on management and the team, but we all want the same thing, surely?

I'll eat my head if we don't.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 144
Sconeboy
April 15, 2014, 9:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
I rest my case.

Pluck the positives out of that one.

We are not even close to good enough and if anybody can give me a genuine reason to think otherwise then I'll gladly change my mind and say my original post was wrong.

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.