EY Mariner
April 13, 2014, 3:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from oldun
It is time some people came to terms with the fact that we are in The Conference and not the Championship.

With the greatest of respect to those with a more pessimistic view of things than either you or I, the time for that was nearly four years ago.

Yesterday's performance was not woeful. For half an hour or so, we were excellent and we should have been at least a couple of goals up. After that, I will readily accept it wasn't great, but we got the points and, at this stage of the season more than any other, that is what matters most of all.

I find the negativity of many of my fellow Mariners, on this forum and elsewhere, deeply frustrating. Having perhaps overachieved last season, a playoff place was my minimum requirement at the start of the season. We are on course to achieve that. We might want to see more attractive football, but surely we all want to see effective, successful, WINNING football. Don't we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 144
barralad
April 13, 2014, 4:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

Yes I do believe that people posting comments which don't necessarily conform with others views are both helpful and appropriate. Just because they don't coincide with the your view and that of others doesn't make them negative. In fact, they just might be more realistic.

For example, I don't think we'll get promoted this season because I don't believe we're good enough, often enough. This might not be a view shared by many other supporters but I haven't got a problem with that.

At the end of the day, we all want the same thing for this club, we just have different ways of expresssing it.

UTM

I confess to being intrigued. I was hoping that you would go on to explain exactly "how" your negativity is helping. Failing that a little bit of explanation as to why you think we are "not good enough-often enough".

Some people are living in a comic book land where their team play this marvellous attacking football-pressure doesn't exist and we rampage over the opposition who are after all only there to make up the numbers.
Ultimately you may well be proved right. That will be the time to "enjoy" your "I told you so" moment. Let's hope you are wrong.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 144
Caesar
April 13, 2014, 4:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from EY Mariner

With the greatest of respect to those with a more pessimistic view of things than either you or I, the time for that was nearly four years ago.

Yesterday's performance was not woeful. For half an hour or so, we were excellent and we should have been at least a couple of goals up. After that, I will readily accept it wasn't great, but we got the points and, at this stage of the season more than any other, that is what matters most of all.

I find the negativity of many of my fellow Mariners, on this forum and elsewhere, deeply frustrating. Having perhaps overachieved last season, a playoff place was my minimum requirement at the start of the season. We are on course to achieve that. We might want to see more attractive football, but surely we all want to see effective, successful, WINNING football. Don't we?

Agree with all of the above.  I am confused by the talk of us "being really poor".  As I said previously I may not have been to all our games this season and cannot get to Blundell Park very often but from what I have seen while we have not been magnificent we have been O.K. We have played some very nice stuff at times but on the whole we have played very average stuff, not fantastic football but not atrocious either.  Judging by comments on here you get the picture that we are the most dire team to watch and are making a Sam Allardyce team look like total football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 144
The Yard Dog
April 13, 2014, 4:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
I have been reading people's opinions regarding our performances and league position this season, here are a few stats
for you.

2010-11 finished 11th on 62 points scoring 72 and conceding 62 number of wins 15 leading goal scorer Connell (29)
2011-12 finished 11th on 70 points scoring 79 and conceding 60 number of wins 19 leading goal scorer Hearn (31)
2012-13 finished 4th on 83 points scoring 70 and conceding 38 number of wins 21 leading goal scorer Cook (16)
2013-14 currently 3rd on 73 points scoring 61 and conceding 40 number of wins 21 leading goal scorer Disley & Hannah (9) with 4 games to be played.

So in the first two seasons we scored more goals and conceded more goals but finished 11th.  Last season we scored less goals but conceded less but won more games and finished 4th and this season we are 3rd with 21 wins.
While I accept the performances since Christmas have not been convincing we have taken similar points this season during the same period as last season, with 4 games remaining.

As for team selection it's Hurst job on the line, to us the fans some of his decisions are strange, but he has his style of play and is reluctant to change especially at home, which frustrates us fans.

As for scoring more goals and been more entertaining look at Forest Green beat Hyde 8-0 & 6-2 but were are they in the league.  

Last season both us and Kidderminster went into the play-offs in good form and both teams lost.  We beat Newport in the last game of the season, but lost both legs.

At the moment we are strong position to finish in the play-offs, then it is down to which team has the desire and wants it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 144
pontoonlew
April 13, 2014, 4:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,724
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from barralad

I confess to being intrigued. I was hoping that you would go on to explain exactly "how" your negativity is helping. Failing that a little bit of explanation as to why you think we are "not good enough-often enough".

Some people are living in a comic book land where their team play this marvellous attacking football-pressure doesn't exist and we rampage over the opposition who are after all only there to make up the numbers.
Ultimately you may well be proved right. That will be the time to "enjoy" your "I told you so" moment. Let's hope you are wrong.

I don't think the negativity necessarily helps when it comes to being at the game but I speak for myself and maybe others when I say when I'm there, I'd never vocally boo or criticise the players. So saying it on a message board instead is relatively harmless in comparison.

What you and others seem to be missing is that we're not saying it because we want to criticise. The fact is we pay money for something that isn't entertaining and is focused on being solid. The big problem is with that is when it goes wrong it's god damn awful and the games before it do not make up for it. I'm not coming on here and saying you or anybody else is wrong, the facts are there to see by the league table and points won. But I really think it's naive to think we can just keep doing what we're doing and be successful in the long term. The crowds are pretty poor this year, but were 3rd in the league, ask yourself why that is? What is the point of going up all the leagues when it's continually crap football? At what point do you need to be entertained? You may say if we entertain we won't win, go and tell Cambridge fans that. It's weak excuses for the fact we are boring as excrement to watch. What's frustrating, more than anything in the whole situation, is the fact we went through this last year. I stood at Newport after the game frankly embarrassed about what I'd just seen, I came on here and people were shocked. Couldn't believe we'd not shown, yet the signs were there for weeks!

One of the main points I and others were making was the situations of Cook not playing and Nielson not getting the time on the pitch. Lo and behold yesterday Nielson stays on the pitch for 90 mins for once and sets up Cook for what ended up as a vital goal.

It's of my opinion that a better side will show us up, we are doing the basics right which is fair enough. But we've never ONCE stepped it up a gear in a game this season. I keep asking for occasions when we have and nobody seems to be able to tell me. People say 'we were just in 3rd gear, we didn't need to step up' I've not seen one shred of evidence that we've got a 4th gear under Hurst. I accept we're not in the Championship anymore but I still expect a level of performance from time to time. My negativity stems from the feelings I had last April in Newport, I never want to feel like that after a football game.

Little stat for you. Since the play offs began in the conference in 01/02, ONE side have gone up having scored the least amount of goals of the top 5.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 144
wigworld
April 13, 2014, 4:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Caesar

Agree with all of the above.  I am confused by the talk of us "being really poor".  As I said previously I may not have been to all our games this season and cannot get to Blundell Park very often but from what I have seen while we have not been magnificent we have been O.K. We have played some very nice stuff at times but on the whole we have played very average stuff, not fantastic football but not atrocious either.  Judging by comments on here you get the picture that we are the most dire team to watch and are making a Sam Allardyce team look like total football.

This is my take on things as well. Whilst we might not be 'good', we are usually 'good enough'. I haven't seen anyone playing 'beautiful football' in the conference this year.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 95 - 144
oldun
April 13, 2014, 4:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from pontoonlew

I don't think the negativity necessarily helps when it comes to being at the game but I speak for myself and maybe others when I say when I'm there, I'd never vocally boo or criticise the players. So saying it on a message board instead is relatively harmless in comparison.

What you and others seem to be missing is that we're not saying it because we want to criticise. The fact is we pay money for something that isn't entertaining and is focused on being solid. The big problem is with that is when it goes wrong it's god damn awful and the games before it do not make up for it. I'm not coming on here and saying you or anybody else is wrong, the facts are there to see by the league table and points won. But I really think it's naive to think we can just keep doing what we're doing and be successful in the long term. The crowds are pretty poor this year, but were 3rd in the league, ask yourself why that is? What is the point of going up all the leagues when it's continually crap football? At what point do you need to be entertained? You may say if we entertain we won't win, go and [b][/b]tell the Cambridge fans that It's weak excuses for the fact we are boring as excrement to watch. What's frustrating, more than anything in the whole situation, is the fact we went through this last year. I stood at Newport after the game frankly embarrassed about what I'd just seen, I came on here and people were shocked. Couldn't believe we'd not shown, yet the signs were there for weeks!

One of the main points I and others were making was the situations of Cook not playing and Nielson not getting the time on the pitch. Lo and behold yesterday Nielson stays on the pitch for 90 mins for once and sets up Cook for what ended up as a vital goal.

It's of my opinion that a better side will show us up, we are doing the basics right which is fair enough. But we've never ONCE stepped it up a gear in a game this season. I keep asking for occasions when we have and nobody seems to be able to tell me. People say 'we were just in 3rd gear, we didn't need to step up' I've not seen one shred of evidence that we've got a 4th gear under Hurst. I accept we're not in the Championship anymore but I still expect a level of performance from time to time. My negativity stems from the feelings I had last April in Newport, I never want to feel like that after a football game.

Little stat for you. Since the play offs began in the conference in 01/02, ONE side have gone up having scored the least amount of goals of the top 5.

Yes but Cambridge only had 2000 there to see their victory.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 144
pontoonlew
April 13, 2014, 4:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,724
Gold Stars: 163
Lets not twist facts eh? 2,800 they had, with their average attendance being 3,000.

That's 33% up on last year, ours is down 12%.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 144
ackomariner
April 13, 2014, 4:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew

What you and others seem to be missing is that we're not saying it because we want to criticise. The fact is we pay money for something that isn't entertaining and is focused on being solid. The big problem is with that is when it goes wrong it's god damn awful and the games before it do not make up for it. I'm not coming on here and saying you or anybody else is wrong, the facts are there to see by the league table and points won. But I really think it's naive to think we can just keep doing what we're doing and be successful in the long term. The crowds are pretty poor this year, but were 3rd in the league, ask yourself why that is? What is the point of going up all the leagues when it's continually crap football? At what point do you need to be entertained? You may say if we entertain we won't win, go and tell Cambridge fans that. It's weak excuses for the fact we are boring as excrement to watch. What's frustrating, more than anything in the whole situation, is the fact we went through this last year. I stood at Newport after the game frankly embarrassed about what I'd just seen, I came on here and people were shocked. Couldn't believe we'd not shown, yet the signs were there for weeks!

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Good post  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 144
Roast Em Bobby
April 13, 2014, 5:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
@pontoonlew we were excellent at home to Kidderminster and scunny and Huddersfield and Cambridge away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.