Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for this Clown to go
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 302 Guests

Time for this Clown to go

This thread currently has 19,086 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
April 16, 2014, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from Tom13

No we can't have him because he doesn't play pretty football, we'd have the same complaints about him as we do about Hurst's team being boring!

Halifax have scored 81 goals this year and lay 3rd in the league on a fraction of our budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 167
Tommy
April 16, 2014, 1:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Some rational and irrational views in this thread.

Personally, I think it would be madness and pointless sacking Hurst now, as some are suggesting.

If we don't even make the play-offs, I think Hurst should be relieved of his duties at the season's end.

If we make the play-offs but don't win promotion, I could argue either way and am not fully committed to either yet. Much would depend on the nature of our failure in the 2/3 games. If it was a feeble surrender with seemingly no idea of how to outplay our opponents, a la Newport last year, then I'd have to think lessons haven't been learned and Hurst should go.

Hurst is a cautious personality and a cautious coach. His teams reflect this and we always edge towards the cautious option as opposed to a slightly riskier one. The selection of Colbeck for so many games points to this, as he can only make the team to provide defensive support on the flank as he offers little with the ball (no football brain as I've said elsewhere).

This is why I can agree with Ginnywings points about Hurst being an uninspiring manager having an uninspiring team. One that isn't capturing the imagination of fans.

I also agreed with points made by a caller to RH after last night's game, who said Hurst doesn't have a plan B anf doesn't seem to be able to make substitutions or tactical changes to positively effect a game.

All in all. Don't sack him now. Let him see out the season with his team. If we don't go up, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go but would thank him for his efforts and his reputation wouldn't exactly be too hurt. But then it comes down to Fenty/the Board appointing the right successor (another big ask).

One other thing. It's never helpful when the fans are split 50/50 on whether a manager should stay or be sacked. It doesn't create a good atmosphere and it usually eventually only ends up one way.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 167
Tom13
April 16, 2014, 1:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from pontoonlew

Halifax have scored 81 goals this year and lay 3rd in the league on a fraction of our budget.

Yes but that wasn't the point - they play hoofball just as much as we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 167
RichMariner
April 16, 2014, 1:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
This is an unusual position for us to be in - finally having some success in terms of the league table and number of wins in the season, but feeling (perhaps even 'knowing') that it's all going to be for nothing when the play-offs come around.

I do have some sympathy for Hurst because he'll no doubt look at this and think 'I've got them 4th in the table by winning around 50% of my games in charge, and even if the performances haven't been great lately I still get it in the neck'.

I don't like our incessant squad rotation or the fact that we've taken good strikers and turned them into ones that simply can't score. Yes, there's been an obvious drop in confidence and performance levels, yet we still manage to grind out enough wins to (probably) get us into the play-offs.

I think we all have different ideas of what success looks like, at this moment in time. The longer we stay in this division, the quicker and more intolerant we all become towards the manager, Fenty etc. 4th in any of our first two seasons (in which we finished 11th) would've been a dream!

But I share the worry that has come with our lacklustre performances. It feels like we've all been here before, 12 months ago, and although we wish for a more positive outcome this time round we've seen no evidence of that actually happening - and that's frustrating.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 103 - 167
Tommy
April 16, 2014, 1:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob
We have the third highest playing budget so if we finish around third he's done his job for part 1 of the season, with part 2 to follow.

A fair argument to counter that though Rob, is that there are other managers in our league who are leading their club to finishes a lot higher than their budget would suggest.

And given our "3rd highest budget", someone achieving that level of over-achievement here would probably take us to the title.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 167
grimps
April 16, 2014, 1:37pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Quagmire

"I'm not going to be critical if Oumare Tounkara but that was the best chance.  If that goes in, it changes it and they have to attack with a bit more quality, and we could perhaps just sit in there and be basic in our play" Paul Hurst GY Telegraph.

And people accuse the fans of being negative!  

So he's saying our one and only chance of the game didnt go in so thats why we lost .
Maybe Paul if we had more than one chance a game we wouldnt have to be in that position  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 167
GTFCNiles
April 16, 2014, 1:45pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +38
Gold Stars: 5
I'm amazed by the negativity on the fishy past few weeks.

We will make the play offs, will we go up, no one knows for sure, all it takes is one or two decisions to go in or against your favour.

The time is not to be calling for heads, we have been operating on a reduced budget this year, we haven't gone all out, which can only be a good thing for the sustainability of the club. Quite frankly the ones that are doing this should hang there head in shame.

Start of the year if someone had said you can make the play offs, we all would have taken it.

For Christ sake lets get behind the team, they will respond to us if we are cheering rather than jeering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 167
Marinerdan
April 16, 2014, 1:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Tommy

A fair argument to counter that though Rob, is that there are other managers in our league who are leading their club to finishes a lot higher than their budget would suggest.

And given our "3rd highest budget", someone achieving that level of over-achievement here would probably take us to the title.

In this league budget only really matters if you have a Crawley/fleetwood type budget that blows other teams out of the water.

Luton have spent getting on for 10m since they've been in this league and didn't even make the play offs last year. Looking at the squad they assembled this year their budget must be double ours.

Forest Green probably have the second highest budget and are nowhere, Wrexham have the fourth or fifth and are seventeenth.

In some cases having a top five budget backfires, teams end up wasting their budget on ex league players who sometimes don't have the same commitment and aren't as willing to fight for a win. Teams also try and play a style of football that isn't that efficient.

Plenty of teams with small budgets do well by picking up players that haven't made it at this level and have a massive point to prove, they work exceptionally hard and work as a team. They play to the teams strengths rather than trying to play attractive football. Halifax last night is a case in point, Gregory managed a handful of starts for Mansfield, when they were crap, I can't recall any of their players having any league Experience, maybe Adam Smith who wasn't good enough for Lincoln.

Having a bigger budget often rules out these kind of 'unfashionable' players, whilst we've been in this league we've signed a few players with comparatively big reputations and salaries that haven't performed at the required standard, it's telling that our two best and most consistent players came from part time football with no league experience but the desire to take their chance at full time football.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 167
Tom13
April 16, 2014, 2:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Marinerdan

In this league budget only really matters if you have a Crawley/fleetwood type budget that blows other teams out of the waster.

Luton have spent getting on for 10m since they've been in this league and didn't even make the play offs last year. Looking at the squad they assembled this year their budget must be double ours.

Forest Green probably have the second highest budget and are nowhere, Wrexham have the fourth or fifth and are seventeenth.

In some cases having a top five budget backfires, teams end up wasting their budget on ex league players who sometimes don't have the same commitment and aren't as willing to fight for a win. Teams also try and play a style of football that isn't that efficient.

Plenty of teams with small budgets do well by picking up players that haven't made it at this level and have a massive point to prove, they work exceptionally hard and work as a team. They play to the teams strengths rather than trying to play attractive football. Halifax last night is a case in point, Gregory managed a handful of starts for Mansfield, when they were crap, I can't recall any of their players having any league Experience, maybe Adam Smith who wasn't good enough for Lincoln.

Having a bigger budget often rules out these kind of 'unfashionable' players, whilst we've been in this league we've signed a few players with comparatively big reputations and salaries that haven't performed at the required standard, it's telling that our two best and most consistent players came from part time football with no league experience but the desire to take their chance at full time football.

Glennon in goal had played in the league before, and Scott Spencer played for Lincoln when they went down - other than those two I don't think there was much league experience in their team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 167
kingster72
April 16, 2014, 2:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Our only hope of winning the play offs is without Hurst in charge, anyone who thinks he will help us to promotion is deluded and deserves another year of non-league! He hasn't got the team playing (getting results just) and is so negative before games that he is handing the advantage to the opposition before a ball is kicked.  Before part-time Woking, he said that they were favorites! Before struggling Dartford, he said he felt his team might get a win.  Before Halifax he said a defeat would not be the end of the world.  Stating opponents are favourites, speaking of might and defeats is hardly going to motivate fans, or the players.  If Hurst is left to lead us through the play offs, it will be another stupid error by Fenty, but then would we expect anything else.  Sheff Wed's gambled by sacking Megson the other year with just about 4 games left and they got promoted, the same must be done at GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 167
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for this Clown to go

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.