cmackenzie4
April 16, 2014, 9:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner
4th in the league with three games to play, I for one would have taken this at the start of the season.  To be talking about getting rid of PH now is ridiculous and will not happen or even be spoken of at the club until the season is over.  

No matter how much we are frustrated by recent performance's we have to be realistic, we are still in the play offs.

Some of the recent selections have been strange to say the least, but if we reach the play offs for me he has achieved what many on here would have put as the bare minimum requirement at the start of the season.  Where we go from there on is/will be up for debate then, all this Hurst out at the minute will be doing the team no good as I am sure some of the squad will read this.

Come on, we all went our team back in the football league.  We also want our opinions to be heard, especially after some of the recent performances.  Meets continue with the support for our club through to the end of the season and then assess our future.  THe league is where we belong and as a club we need to find our way back into it.

UTM

Exactly! - good post CM

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 167
Rick12
April 16, 2014, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It makes me laugh all this talk of how we play hoofball . It's not a tactic we choose to play , more a matter of our players being unable to get the ball down and consistently knock it around on the deck . It's a combination of the standard of football at this level and the standard of players available to us .
truth is I found that quite surprising.These players are playing for a full time pro club and I imagine are on one of the better salary's in this league.Hence they should at least be able to play it on the deck for sustained periods.If like you say there is a great deal of hoof ball I wonder whether that is more the mentality of the players and less of the ability eg team goes behind panic sets in and its route one stuff?

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 167
Tommy
April 16, 2014, 9:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Marinerdan

In some cases having a top five budget backfires, teams end up wasting their budget on ex league players who sometimes don't have the same commitment and aren't as willing to fight for a win. Teams also try and play a style of football that isn't that efficient.

Plenty of teams with small budgets do well by picking up players that haven't made it at this level and have a massive point to prove, they work exceptionally hard and work as a team. They play to the teams strengths rather than trying to play attractive football. Halifax last night is a case in point, Gregory managed a handful of starts for Mansfield, when they were crap, I can't recall any of their players having any league Experience, maybe Adam Smith who wasn't good enough for Lincoln.

Having a bigger budget often rules out these kind of 'unfashionable' players, whilst we've been in this league we've signed a few players with comparatively big reputations and salaries that haven't performed at the required standard, it's telling that our two best and most consistent players came from part time football with no league experience but the desire to take their chance at full time football.

You're right, but it is 100% the responsibility of the manager how the budget is spent.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 167
Madeleymariner
April 16, 2014, 9:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Tom13
I agree we have been very frustrating and disappointing recently although to play devil's advocate, negative teams aren't unsuccessful in knockout situations (such as the play offs). Mourinho's made a career out of it, Newport didn't exactly play beautiful, flowing football last season. Add to that the fact we've done quite well in the cup competitions this year - if we do make it to the play offs hope is not lost yet! Over a season it certainly can be dull, but it tight affairs such as the play offs, parking the bus may be what we need to do.

Didnt work against cambridge in the Trophy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 167
Tom13
April 16, 2014, 9:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Didnt work against cambridge in the Trophy

I never said it always worked, I said I was playing devil's advocate, saying that playing expansive football isn't always more effective than defensive football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 167
Mariner21
April 17, 2014, 8:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
It makes me laugh all this talk of how we play hoofball . It's not a tactic we choose to play , more a matter of our players being unable to get the ball down and consistently knock it around on the deck . It's a combination of the standard of football at this level and the standard of players available to us .

York???

It can be done if you have a manager with a bit more about him than a dull yorkshire accent
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 167
Mariner21
April 17, 2014, 8:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Also that's the point we don't go out with any tactics whatso ever !!!

Or we do but the players choose to ignore the little one because he's a pushover.

No excuses I'm afraid they train every fooking day but still seem clueless like they have never played together before.
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 167
barralad
April 17, 2014, 9:33am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ackomariner

Hyde is not a home banker I'm afraid mate, not the way were playing at home. As I said last night, that dartford game might just come back and haunt hurst

I cannot believe anyone is still banging on about the Dartford game. There was no guarantee that a tired first XI would have done any better. His choice was vindicated by the result against Chester. Move on FFS.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 167
ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 9:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,117
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

I cannot believe anyone is still banging on about the Dartford game. There was no guarantee that a tired first XI would have done any better. His choice was vindicated by the result against Chester. Move on FFS.

Apart from the fact that they are a dreadful side being beaten by all and sundry, and were there for the taking.

Still think it was the wrong decision and sent out the wrong message.

Opinions...................................
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 167
ackomariner
April 17, 2014, 9:49am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

Apart from the fact that they are a dreadful side being beaten by all and sundry, and were there for the taking.

Still think it was the wrong decision and sent out the wrong message.

Opinions...................................

This

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for this Clown to go

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.