1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
MeanwoodMariner
April 16, 2014, 9:33am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
We appear to be making hard work of finishing in the top 5 after it seemed pretty safe a week or so ago. Here are some combinations of results that will see us secure a playoff spot:

*Beat Alfreton & Hyde
*Beat Braintree
*Beat Alfreton or Hyde and draw with Braintree
*Beat Alfreton or Hyde plus Braintree lose against either Dartford or Barnet
*4 points from Alfreton & Hyde games plus Braintree fail to take 6 points from Dartford & Barnet games

*We could lose all 3 and still qualify if: Braintree lose their 2 other games, Kiddy lose a game, Alfreton & FGR drop points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner tommy
April 16, 2014, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
We appear to be making hard work of finishing in the top 5 after it seemed pretty safe a week or so ago. Here are some combinations of results that will see us secure a playoff spot:

*Beat Alfreton & Hyde
*Beat Braintree
*Beat Alfreton or Hyde and draw with Braintree
*Beat Alfreton or Hyde plus Braintree lose against either Dartford or Barnet
*4 points from Alfreton & Hyde games plus Braintree fail to take 6 points from Dartford & Barnet games

*We could lose all 3 and still qualify if: Braintree lose their 2 other games, Kiddy lose a game, Alfreton & FGR drop points.

I agree with everything you say, but I think the equation is more simple.
Going on the proviso that we will beat Hyde, and if we do then taking into account goal difference, Kiddy, Alfreton and FGR cannot overtake us, so all we need to do is not lose against Braintree, and that is only if they take six points from their next two games. If they lose one of them then our result against them doesn't matter.
So to sum up, if we lose to Alfreton and beat Hyde, then Braintree would need 7 points from their last three games, including beating us, and improve their goal difference because we are one goal better at the moment.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
DavidB
April 16, 2014, 11:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Thank goodness for a thread which looks objectively at the situation and puts last night's result into perspective (reading some of the posts anyone would think we were about to be relegated!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
chaos33
April 16, 2014, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Some people want to confront the realities of our performances, and some like to overlook them and rely on blind hope that they call 'positivity'. Even though I agree that verbally slating and scapegoating players is wrong, and people calling for Hurst to be sacked are ludicrous, remember; if you are one of those who moan at the so called 'moaners', that makes you one of them! Come on, be positive - live and let live!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
GrimRob
April 16, 2014, 8:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Of course a big win over Hyde could improve our goal difference and make it better than Braintree's.  At the moment we are +18 and they are +17. Since they'll have to beat us to go above us then if we could beat Hyde by 4 or more goals it could help us.

Concentrate on beating Alfreton first though!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 5
Brisbane Mariner
April 17, 2014, 1:30am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from GrimRob
Of course a big win over Hyde could improve our goal difference and make it better than Braintree's.  At the moment we are +18 and they are +17. Since they'll have to beat us to go above us then if we could beat Hyde by 4 or more goals it could help us.

Concentrate on beating Alfreton first though!

THIS! UTM!!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Playoff qualification combinations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.