Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any Positives?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 160 Guests

Any Positives?

This thread currently has 1,986 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
April 16, 2014, 11:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
In the midst of the doom and gloom, was there any positives?

For me(all about opinions)
Mckeown, and the Pearson Boyce pairing were excellent, both Hatton and Thomas were good with the addition of Cook and Neilson, other than that the Tonk showed effort but thats it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Trawler
April 16, 2014, 11:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Scott Neilson staying on the pitch for another whole game
Only conceding to a wonder strike
No-one getting sent off in a game where there were loads of yellows

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Geordie Mariner 1980
April 16, 2014, 11:53am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
1) Until they scored I felt like we were the better side (and just seemed to run out of ideas in the last half hour)...
2) IF the corners were a little more challenging we'd have won on another night, seemed to get lots of set pieces...
3) They'll not score goals like that very often
4) I'd be more than confident playing them in the playoffs (assuming crowd is behind the players) - over 2 legs with a fit 11 I'd be surprised if we didn't come out on top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Tommy
April 16, 2014, 1:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
1) Keeping Gregory quiet.

After that I'm struggling and would be scraping the barrel with any suggestions. Pearson and Boyce did ok defensively but were awful with their distribution. I thought Tounkara was doing ok and should've been left on really.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
marinette
April 16, 2014, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
1) Until they scored I felt like we were the better side (and just seemed to run out of ideas in the last half hour)...
2) IF the corners were a little more challenging we'd have won on another night, seemed to get lots of set pieces...
3) They'll not score goals like that very often
4) I'd be more than confident playing them in the playoffs (assuming crowd is behind the players) - over 2 legs with a fit 11 I'd be surprised if we didn't come out on top

Nice one.  Wish I'd thought of all that.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Marinerdan
April 16, 2014, 1:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
We've learned a lot more about Halifax than they're learnt about us. Particularly there's no point trying to play long against them. If we get them in the play offs we have a massive point to prove and the players have no excuse to not be as fired up as they were for Scunthorpe and Huddersfield. If they're not then they will be gone in the summer.

If we play them again we have several gears to step up (we better have anyway)I doubt they do.

We missed LJL, Jennings and Rodman. This left us with very few attacking options on the bench.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Quagmire
April 16, 2014, 1:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43

Yep, I'd be surprised if we didn't come out on top if we played Halifax in the play offs considering we've only lost 5-0 on aggregate, are playing poorly, and can't seem to put the ball in the back of the net.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
FishOutOfWater
April 16, 2014, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Quagmire

Yep, I'd be surprised if we didn't come out on top if we played Halifax in the play offs considering we've only lost 5-0 on aggregate, are playing poorly, and can't seem to put the ball in the back of the net.

Didn't stop a Cheltenham side beating us at Cardiff after we'd beaten them twice comprehensively

Nothing suggests if we do play Halifax again that we cannot despatch them...all it needs is Rodman to do to them what they did to us last night and maybe they'd collapse
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 19
RonMariner
April 16, 2014, 1:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,535
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Didn't stop a Cheltenham side beating us at Cardiff after we'd beaten them twice comprehensively

Exactly, and the way Wrexham smashed Kiddi home and away in the semi after being thrashed by they at home in a league match a couple of weeks before the end of last season.

Play off games are a cup tie. And we have played some of our best stuff in cup ties this season, against far better sides than Halifax.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Geordie Mariner 1980
April 16, 2014, 2:16pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Genuinely thought we were better last night & on another day we might be talking about a 1-0 win (from Tonkura's one on one) & how well we'd done stopping them from looking at all threatening despite them having the best goalscorer in the league - I guess I'm a 'glass half full' person....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any Positives?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.