Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 267 Guests

Supporting the team

This thread currently has 4,418 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
April 16, 2014, 11:16pm
Guest User
Hi All,

Really interested in everyone s views on this...

Few players are contracted beyond this june/july-

Clearly the boo-boys are getting to them- scott kerrs tweet- Omg! Everton are losing at half time! Wonder if they get booed off? There excrement now, all of a sudden they've had a excrement season!!

if many fans are on their backs, professionals or otherwise, where is the incentive to play well??

Stevie Saunders
April 16, 2014, 11:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Booing is part and parcel of life at football matches - if you can't put up with it then you are in the wrong game
Personally, I've never booed a player or the team as I think it's moronic, serves no purpose and is pathetic to be honest
It's also part of the 'X-Factor vote them off' age we live in - instant gratification and instant success is the currency of life today.
Each to their own I guess but I hate booing of players and cheering when a player (LJL) gets substituted... sure, we all vent our spleen and get hacked off if a player can't make a simple pass (Paddy last night to Aswad) but just support your team and get behind them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 17, 2014, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Booing is part and parcel of life at football matches - if you can't put up with it then you are in the wrong game
Personally, I've never booed a player or the team as I think it's moronic, serves no purpose and is pathetic to be honest
It's also part of the 'X-Factor vote them off' age we live in - instant gratification and instant success is the currency of life today.
Each to their own I guess but I hate booing of players and cheering when a player (LJL) gets substituted... sure, we all vent our spleen and get hacked off if a player can't make a simple pass (Paddy last night to Aswad) but just support your team and get behind them

Maybe it's an age thing SS?

I always thought that you'd reserve booing for opposition players (as a way of putting extra pressure on them so as to make them lose their cool etc) but you're right, now it seems more like it's the done thing to go with booing your own

If people think this is likely to make our players respond positively I'd argue there's a lack of understanding of how human nature is....maybe it's a simplistic way of looking at it but between the carrot and the stick the former surely has to be the better way to support ( and note that all important word....it means giving help) our team

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 60
marinette
April 17, 2014, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
If anything positive does come out of booing your own players, I suppose it could be a siege mentality - us against them -  causing the players to knit more tightly together against the enemy (us).  Of course they are told to be professional, but on occasion their hostility might spill over (Danny North, Alan Buckley, that Scottish bloke whose name I can't remember... Are there any more who have given their own fans a b*llocking?).  But generally I think our players are professional and handle it very welll.  Nick Hegarty certainly did.  He was public enemy number one on here, after he had the temerity to laugh at a boo boy!  

It often seems that our players perform better away from home.  (Not looked at the stats, but that's the feeling I get).  If it's true it wouldn't be too surprising, as support from the away fans is usually more unconditional.

The whole thing is a bit weird to me - if we boo our own players, are we not doing a great job for our opponents, whoever they may be?

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
grimps
April 17, 2014, 8:58am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 46
Maybe the players should ask themselves if they would pay lots of money to go watch the football the produce every week ?
We have just about the best away support in the league and if they gave us something to shout about would have a 12th man at every game,If the players can think back to the Scunthorpe and Hudds games then they know what we the fans are capable of,We just need them to show us what they are capable of.I dont believe we have many bad players at our club at the minute they are just being poorly managed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
April 17, 2014, 9:07am
Guest User
I can see the viewpoints on us being poorly managed, people frustrated that we re still in the conference, that we havent seen a "second goal" that often and that our strikers are not "firing".... But I dont agree that we re poorly managed what-so-ever

This is our season in the league...

P       W      D      L      F      A      GD      POINTS
4     Grimsby     43     21     10     12     61     43     18     73

SO 31 out of 43 (or 72%) times this season we have taken points, or a point, in a match. On average we concede 1 goal a game but score 1.4 goals.

Manchester City, for example- who are still in the race to win the premier league- albeit dropping points last night, take points 79% of the time, and Pelligrini is no slouch...

Nor is Mourihno at Chelsea, who takes points around 80% of the time, ditto Martinez at Everton...

That said I return to my original point, if you re on the pitch and even 100 people are boo-ing would you feel inclined to play better than say if everyone was cheering.

Why not a campaign to kick the negativity out of blundell park- its only a few and if everyone just has a word when it happens, it will stop very quickly...

The choices are to stay on the players backs- and probably be here again next season... or to get behind them , as mentioned above help, support them and see what happens, being positive is a lot more pleasant/easy/enjoyable than negativity.

If theres no promotion, none of them will be here next season anyway, so its 10000000000000 times better to try to help them now rather than wait another year for this...
Reply: 5 - 60
ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 9:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 935
Hi All,

Really interested in everyone s views on this...

Few players are contracted beyond this june/july-

Clearly the boo-boys are getting to them- scott kerrs tweet- Omg! Everton are losing at half time! Wonder if they get booed off? There excrement now, all of a sudden they've had a excrement season!!

if many fans are on their backs, professionals or otherwise, where is the incentive to play well??

Pride, professionalism, getting a new contract ?

I'm afraid that what we are witnessing now toward the players and manager is frustration at years and years of failure and poor football.

We are desperate as fans to see a bit of spark and something we can rally to. What we are seeing at the moment is very reminiscent of last season, with a spluttering side inching their way to the play offs, playing mostly boring football. Only the away wins are keeping us in touching distance and fans are rightly asking why clubs like Gateshead and Halifax are top of the form guide despite having significantly less resources than ourselves.

If we have to put up with boring hoofball, then results have to be consistent and we don't seem to win with any regularity at BP. I'm not saying booing is right and i never boo at games, but is understandable given the poor displays at most games.

I personally can't wait for this season to be over and i now have to drag myself to BP to support what i hope will be a promotion season. If we manage to go up, then i would be ecstatic. If not, then i want to see a more progressive manager bring some spark and life to the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
April 17, 2014, 9:40am
Guest User
"pride, professionalism and a new contract"

Would you want to work somewhere where people give you abuse, because that is what boo-ing is, when you have a bad day at the office?? I definitely wouldn't...

As Tondeur/Buckley said the other night, most of the 1st 11 would walk into most teams starting line ups at this level, so I am quite sure that a new contract with a different team will not be a massive struggle for most.

I think Scott Kerr's tweet says it all, but that is my opinion.
Reply: 7 - 60
jonnyboy82
April 17, 2014, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
They can do what they like.

Its there future on the line..

Tbh I am bored shitless of the same topic but with a different way of putting it..

You have the ones on here who think they are the messiah of the fishy and their opinion is the only one that counts by not booing and spouting out the same old shite "we are 4th" "Hurst is doing an amazing job"  "Hurst should be backed"

Then you have the others who just have not taken to hurst and spout (me included) the same old shite "he is tactically inept" "Hurst is doing a decent job to mess it up" "Hurst has the personality of a nun"

If you pay £18 you have as much right to an opinion as the next man..

Its just football.

The booing depends on if we are losing away at braintree 5-0 or losing at home to halifax 0-1..

The clapping and the wankfest depends if we are beating kiddy at home 3-1 or beating cambridge away 1-0..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 9:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 935
"pride, professionalism and a new contract"

Would you want to work somewhere where people give you abuse, because that is what boo-ing is, when you have a bad day at the office?? I definitely wouldn't...

As Tondeur/Buckley said the other night, most of the 1st 11 would walk into most teams starting line ups at this level, so I am quite sure that a new contract with a different team will not be a massive struggle for most.

I think Scott Kerr's tweet says it all, but that is my opinion.

I don't work in an office and if i was crap at my job, i would be told in no uncertain terms and not employed by that person again. That's life.

Footballers have a privileged life and must take the rough with the smooth. They know that more than anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporting the team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.