ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 2:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

Expectations differ though. Some Grimsby supporters think we should be top of the league, play "entertaining" (whatever that is) football, and convincingly beating all these little sides whose level we have dropped to. This despite the fact one team in the division has over twice as many supporters as we do, others have a bigger budget and our support and budget is the same ball park as several other teams in the division.

Paul Hurst and the players are judged on their final position in the table and the results in the play-offs. That's what current and future employers will look at, that's what they'll ultimately judged by. By any objective analysis finishing fourth or above is a good season. We should be encouraging them to go the extra mile, it's often said one side "wants it" more than the other. That's what your support should give you, that's why you're strong at home. Instead some of us wallow in self-pity and point out all the negatives, and what should be a strength becomes a weakness. It all boils down to unrealistic expectations,

You can tell you are a gambler. All your arguments are based purely on statistics and win ratios. Football is about more than that.

Some judge more on their final positions. Some judge on how they achieved that final position. I'm one of those strange creatures who would rather we lost 4-3 than 1-0, and will quite happily applaud the opposition if they have scored a particularly good goal or put on a good attacking display.

I'm one of those that hated Slade. Others thought he did a good job. Hurst is another Slade in my eyes. Again, it's all about opinions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
grimps
April 17, 2014, 2:19pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GrimRob

The last three home results have been 1) a draw in which we came from behind (twice) and all the goals were late, 2) a win in which we scored early, added a second late on after missing quite a few chances, and conceded a fluke in injury time, 3) a game of few chances for either side, but the away team scored midway though the second half. A win, a draw and a loss. 1 game with 1 goal, 1 game with 3 goals and 1 with 4.

I'd be surprised if you could have predicted that after 20 minutes. Maybe you should consider taking up in-play betting.

Ok statto
The last 3 home games Ive been to ,Luton ,Woking and Halifax .
Luton we huffed puffed and they went on to win
Woking we huffed puffed and was lucky to get an 95th minute penalty which I missed as I knew we would have never have scored without the help of the ref.
Halifax we had one shot all game they went up the other end and scored which resulted in us giving up.
All 3 of these results was totally predictable by everyone sat around me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 17, 2014, 2:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Must be me but I have been going to BP for best part of 50 years and throughout if town were not playing well, or, and more likely fans thought players were not giving their all they have been given stick. I recall Mike Hickman getting loads of pelters in the early part of hgis career with town and under Buckley abuse would be heard when there was another pass rather than a shot on goal.

The letters page in the football telegraph on a Saturday night had plenty of moans & groans before social media came about and I do not see today's crowds as acting any differently. Lets be honest during the game it is mainly groans about "hoof ball" as it is caled or the failure to trap a ball or give  a simple 5 yaerd pass (a la Paddy on Tuesday) booing is pretty much at the end of the game after another abject display.

Best way to get rid of moans and groas in give 100% and complete the basics as I think 90% of fans accept players will have bad days, hence the respect on here for LJL when he took that penalty (despite our groans!!) and why I respect Kerr cos no matter how poorly he may be playing or how many mistakes he has made he does not hide. Does not mean I would pick him every game but appreciate the guy gives his all every game.

Fundamentally, I just do not think we are a good side, certainly not to watch, despite our league position & whatever the stats do or do not say but like all on the Fishy I hope that does not prevent us going up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
immariner
April 17, 2014, 2:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from ginnywings

But it doesn't, and that's my point.

A fan who has had a few beers and been working in a shitty job all week, or nagged by his/her other half isn't going to harness their positivity at a football match.

There were several drunken fans behind me at the game on Tues, having a right moan (when they weren't going to the bar or toilet) and i'm sure they would have been delighted for me to point out that their actions were doing nothing for the prospects of the team.

Or alternatively, they would have twatted me.

Haha in fairness Ginny, they're not the type I'm likely to reach out to. I think most people work in a shitty job they don't enjoy (I know I do) but not all go to watch a promotion chasing side and end up purple in the face most games. All would be fine if our home and away form were reversed. The salient point is that we look like we're going to make the play-offs which was the season's objective. Now is ever the time to try and be a bit more upbeat and supportive (if humanly possible) because we're going to need it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
GrimRob
April 17, 2014, 2:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

You can tell you are a gambler. All your arguments are based purely on statistics and win ratios. Football is about more than that.

Some judge more on their final positions. Some judge on how they achieved that final position. I'm one of those strange creatures who would rather we lost 4-3 than 1-0, and will quite happily applaud the opposition if they have scored a particularly good goal or put on a good attacking display.

I'm one of those that hated Slade. Others thought he did a good job. Hurst is another Slade in my eyes. Again, it's all about opinions.

I accept there are a few people to whom attacking football is more important than winning, but they are a small minority. Both Slade and Hurst put bums on seats (and the average attendances prove it) by virtue of their win ratios because most fans are more likely to turn up if the team is challenging for promotion. Woods and Buckley espoused the beautiful game but they were sacked because of league position (and the consequent drop in bums on seats)

Personally I go home happier with 3 points however it is achieved than I do with 1 point and I never go home happy with no points. I'm happiest of all if the game has been end to end with lots of chances and we've won, but that's a nice to have. If I want to be entertained I watch something like 20/20 cricket where nobody gives a toss about the result but there's lots of twists and turns.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 60
Tom13
April 17, 2014, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from grimps
I have sat in the ground for the last 3 home games and after 20 minutes of each of them I have known exactly what was going to happen ,I knew we would huff and puff then they would go and score .
Am I supposed to take my shirt off bounce up and down waving it around my head in excitement  singing my head off when I know inside what is coming ?
Why dont the team try changing what they are flipping doing and see how we react ?

In fairness if all 3000 town fans did that it would certainly be a more entertaining game  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 2:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from immariner

Haha in fairness Ginny, they're not the type I'm likely to reach out to. I think most people work in a shitty job they don't enjoy (I know I do) but not all go to watch a promotion chasing side and end up purple in the face most games. All would be fine if our home and away form were reversed. The salient point is that we look like we're going to make the play-offs which was the season's objective. Now is ever the time to try and be a bit more upbeat and supportive (if humanly possible) because we're going to need it.

On some of that we are in agreement. I've thought we would make the play offs for weeks now and still think we will. I don't think we are the most likely team to prevail from the 4 but i live in hope.

The objective for me was to win the league with play offs as a secondary aim. We have been out of the title race for months now and that rankles a bit with me. Any sort of consistency, especially in the goal scoring department, would have seen us involved 'til the end. I blame Hurst for not giving it a good enough go with the resources available to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
ginnywings
April 17, 2014, 2:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

I accept there are a few people to whom attacking football is more important than winning, but they are a small minority. Both Slade and Hurst put bums on seats (and the average attendances prove it) by virtue of their win ratios because most fans are more likely to turn up if the team is challenging for promotion. Woods and Buckley espoused the beautiful game but they were sacked because of league position (and the consequent drop in bums on seats)

Personally I go home happier with 3 points however it is achieved than I do with 1 point and I never go home happy with no points. I'm happiest of all if the game has been end to end with lots of chances and we've won, but that's a nice to have. If I want to be entertained I watch something like 20/20 cricket where nobody gives a toss about the result but there's lots of twists and turns.

Yes, but winning with attractive football puts even more bums on seats. You can argue all day about Hurst and his win ratio, but lots of people find it boring as hell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
immariner
April 17, 2014, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Must be me but I have been going to BP for best part of 50 years and throughout if town were not playing well, or, and more likely fans thought players were not giving their all they have been given stick. I recall Mike Hickman getting loads of pelters in the early part of hgis career with town and under Buckley abuse would be heard when there was another pass rather than a shot on goal.

The letters page in the football telegraph on a Saturday night had plenty of moans & groans before social media came about and I do not see today's crowds as acting any differently. Lets be honest during the game it is mainly groans about "hoof ball" as it is caled or the failure to trap a ball or give  a simple 5 yaerd pass (a la Paddy on Tuesday) booing is pretty much at the end of the game after another abject display.

Best way to get rid of moans and groas in give 100% and complete the basics as I think 90% of fans accept players will have bad days, hence the respect on here for LJL when he took that penalty (despite our groans!!) and why I respect Kerr cos no matter how poorly he may be playing or how many mistakes he has made he does not hide. Does not mean I would pick him every game but appreciate the guy gives his all every game.

Fundamentally, I just do not think we are a good side, certainly not to watch, despite our league position & whatever the stats do or do not say but like all on the Fishy I hope that does not prevent us going up.

Good post. I'm not saying that it's completely different to how it always was but you must recognise the attitude towards instant success that has grown over the years and the lack of patience because of it? This season should be a bounty of joy considering what we have had to put up in previous years. Home form isn't great but we've only lost 5 out of 22. Could have been much worse. Should be better.

I think you're right about the basics thing too, to an extent. But we're in Division 5 now which I think some are still in denial about. Do fans believe the players aren't giving their all? I don't think so. Are we playing particularly well? Not really. Is our football exciting? Nope. Do we still have a chance of promotion? Yes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
GrimRob
April 17, 2014, 2:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes, but winning with attractive football puts even more bums on seats.  

Agreed, it's a nice to have.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporting the team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.