Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Electricians..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 114 Guests

Electricians..

This thread currently has 637 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Neilo83
April 19, 2014, 4:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Any sparkies on here taking on work, I need a light switch taking off a wall and placing on another wall.. Probably a small job to someone that qualified.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
April 26, 2014, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I don't have any spare time to take on any work but it will be more work than you think.

1. Some of the floor boards in the room above the light will need to be taken up for access to the ceiling rose.

2. The wall were you want the light switch will need chasing out, or if it is a false wall, find the noggins for running the cable down.

3. You may be able to use the same cable if it is in good condition and correct length but more than likely it would be new cable.  Also if the ceiling rose and pendant needed replacing.

It would save you a lot of money if you did the labour work such as lifting floor boards, chasing out the wall and put back the floor boards then plastering the chased out wall after the electrician has wired up the light switch.  Not sure on price because it would depend on how long the labour side of the job would cost.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
Neilo83
April 27, 2014, 6:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Cheers for the post, much appreciated.. Not sure if this makes a difference but the wall that we want to put the new switch on (in the kitchen) has a switch on the other side of it (in the front room) so I assume the wall is already "ready" to have a cable put down it?

I hope that made sense lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
Caveman
April 27, 2014, 7:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Damn!

I thought someone was about to give us some new floodlights.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
Marinerz93
April 27, 2014, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Neilo83
Cheers for the post, much appreciated.. Not sure if this makes a difference but the wall that we want to put the new switch on (in the kitchen) has a switch on the other side of it (in the front room) so I assume the wall is already "ready" to have a cable put down it?

I hope that made sense lol

Happy to advise or give any information, I know what you are saying but again without pictures or looking at it, it can be hard to say one way or the other.

There are several ways that electricians work, for example some will chase out the wall, clip the cable to the wall then plaster over the cable. Some will put a metal cover over the cable to stop nails going through the cable.  With both of these you can not run more cables down due to the plaster covering any gaps.

If trunking was used then you should be able to run cable down it and the job becomes a little easier.

If it is a false wall, it will depend if there is insulation in it and where the noggins are.

From what you are saying, the light switch that is on the wall in the front room (other side of wall in the kitchen) controls the lighting in the kitchen.  If this is the case you should be able to drill through the wall and it will just be a case of connecting the cable up to the new switch.  If this is the case you could convert it to a 2 way switch so it can be switched either in the living room or kitchen (upstairs downstairs switch).  This way will also save lifting floor boards and chasing a lot of brick work out.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Electricians..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.