Mariner Ronnie
April 21, 2014, 12:46pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
According to today's telewag, Pearson will only get banned for one game rather than three, does anyone know why this is?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
gaz57
April 21, 2014, 1:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
I think I just heard JT say 3 match ban if booked again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
immariner
April 21, 2014, 2:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
I find it ridiculous that a player should sit out 5 games in a season due to 15 bookings. Bookings are part and parcel of the game (admittedly a large amount of Pearson's are for dissent which is inexcusable) and they are for punishment at point of offence. Basically, a warning to say 'do that again and you're off and you'll get a suspension'. If you don't commit another offence worthy of a second yellow then that should be the end of it, unless it's for reoccurring offences such as 'diving' or dissent.

That's the thing with suspensions too. They're not only a punishment for the player and the club involved, they also give advantages to teams for whom no offences were committed against, whilst the player serves his suspension. This is why I'd be in favour of trialling sin bins for yellow cards, with no retrospective suspensions for accumulation of bookings. If the punishment was immediate I'm sure Shaun would keep his mouth shut more often.

Pearson hasn't been included in today's team to prevent him from picking up a yellow card. Now if we go to Braintree needing a result Hurst would probably bring Pearson back in. Imagine Pearson then picks up a yellow card for an innocuous foul and misses the play-offs. We'd have then essentially lost him for 4 out of the last 5 games in addition to the earlier served two match ban.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
GrimRob
April 21, 2014, 2:17pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
It's the same for everyone though. Not everyone gets that many bookings. A lot of them are to deny the opposition a chance on goal so failure to punish them would encourage even more cheating (which it is) then you get now.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 49
immariner
April 21, 2014, 2:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
To deny the opposition an immediate goal scoring opportunity is a red. All yellows are not for "cheating". So you agree that a player should miss 5 games for being booked, on average, every 2.5-3 games?

If the bans were explicitly for an accumulation of cards due to dissent then that would be a different matter. Need more respect in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
Rodley Mariner
April 21, 2014, 2:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
There's no justification for a player collecting 15 cards over a season. See no problem with that cumulatively leading to a player missing a decent few games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
immariner
April 21, 2014, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
There's no justification for a player collecting 15 cards over a season. See no problem with that cumulatively leading to a player missing a decent few games.

Not if they're largely for dissent, you're right. Which, as I said I would have no problem the player being 'cited' for, as long as it was explicitly for lack of respect to the referee. Most other yellows are par for the course in game situations, no? Cut dissent out and I imagine Pearson would have less than 10.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
RichMariner
April 22, 2014, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Are the bookings wiped clean for the play-offs? So, for example, if Pearson got booked at Braintree, would that suspend him for all (possible) 3 play-off games, or would he be ok?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
April 22, 2014, 12:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from immariner
I find it ridiculous that a player should sit out 5 games in a season due to 15 bookings. Bookings are part and parcel of the game (admittedly a large amount of Pearson's are for dissent which is inexcusable) and they are for punishment at point of offence. Basically, a warning to say 'do that again and you're off and you'll get a suspension'. If you don't commit another offence worthy of a second yellow then that should be the end of it, unless it's for reoccurring offences such as 'diving' or dissent.

That's the thing with suspensions too. They're not only a punishment for the player and the club involved, they also give advantages to teams for whom no offences were committed against, whilst the player serves his suspension. This is why I'd be in favour of trialling sin bins for yellow cards, with no retrospective suspensions for accumulation of bookings. If the punishment was immediate I'm sure Shaun would keep his mouth shut more often.

Pearson hasn't been included in today's team to prevent him from picking up a yellow card. Now if we go to Braintree needing a result Hurst would probably bring Pearson back in. Imagine Pearson then picks up a yellow card for an innocuous foul and misses the play-offs. We'd have then essentially lost him for 4 out of the last 5 games in addition to the earlier served two match ban.

It is an interesting argument. And not sure what side of it I sit in.

I agree with all your points, but The problem with yellow cards in football equalling a sin bin is that it is very easy to earn a yellow card- our game against alfreton, 6 players would of been sin bined. So you would then have to change what a yellow card offence was, which would be a big change in direction for the FA
Reply: 8 - 49
BIGChris
April 22, 2014, 12:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
It is perhaps slightly unfair that a booking in the play offs could mean a player missing the final.

If someone has 15 cautions in say, 25 league games he is going some but if he plays every league games, say 10 cup games and then gets in the play offs his record isnt nearly as bad but the punishment remains the same.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pearson's bookings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.