4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Tommy
April 21, 2014, 5:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I was actually very disappointed with Thanoj today. Against a side like Hyde he should surely have been getting on the ball and dictating play. I thought he was pretty anonymous really.

For all the clamour for him to be in the team at the expense of Kerr/Disley, Thanoj arguably showed today why he hasn't been able to hold down a regular place in the side.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't terrible or anything, and he did fizz a few decent passes out to players in space. But I forgot he was playing for spells of that game.

It's almost like he ambled around wanting to be in the areas that Kerr was occupying, but Kerr was there first picking the ball up deep and directing the play. I hope Thanoj can learn from that aspect of Kerr's game - the way he gets players to give him the ball - and start to show it himself if he stays next season.

Him and Kerr are not a good partnership because we don't have good balance. They both want to play deep on the ball. Disley runs ahead of the play and could have got in on goal today against Hyde's high line. As much as people on here have wanted Disley out of the team, Disley with Kerr or Thanoj gives us a much better balance.

I like Thanoj and he's technically a good player, but for me he still appears unable to have a sustained impact on games for more than 20-minute spells. I was expecting a lot more from him today against a team that let us have a lot of the ball without putting us under great pressure.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
ackomariner
April 21, 2014, 6:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tommy
I was actually very disappointed with Thanoj today. Against a side like Hyde he should surely have been getting on the ball and dictating play. I thought he was pretty anonymous really.

For all the clamour for him to be in the team at the expense of Kerr/Disley, Thanoj arguably showed today why he hasn't been able to hold down a regular place in the side.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't terrible or anything, and he did fizz a few decent passes out to players in space. But I forgot he was playing for spells of that game.

It's almost like he ambled around wanting to be in the areas that Kerr was occupying, but Kerr was there first picking the ball up deep and directing the play. I hope Thanoj can learn from that aspect of Kerr's game - the way he gets players to give him the ball - and start to show it himself if he stays next season.

Him and Kerr are not a good partnership because we don't have good balance. They both want to play deep on the ball. Disley runs ahead of the play and could have got in on goal today against Hyde's high line. As much as people on here have wanted Disley out of the team, Disley with Kerr or Thanoj gives us a much better balance.

I like Thanoj and he's technically a good player, but for me he still appears unable to have a sustained impact on games for more than 20-minute spells. I was expecting a lot more from him today against a team that let us have a lot of the ball without putting us under great pressure.

Spot on for me

Give me disley any day of the week. Up for a battle and didn't turn up IMO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
Hagrid
April 21, 2014, 6:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,986
Gold Stars: 507
Said this when people first started questioning dis (yeah he has been poor) but he is a much more attacking player and we do miss him when he doesnt play
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
ginnywings
April 21, 2014, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Agree Tommy. Doesn't impose himself on a game. Pretty but ineffective. Game was crying out  for someone to run beyond the strikers from deep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Rodley Mariner
April 21, 2014, 6:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Disley's true value becomes even clearer when he's not there. Have said all season that he'd always be the first CM on the team sheet for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
ackomariner
April 21, 2014, 6:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Disley's true value becomes even clearer when he's not there. Have said all season that he'd always be the first CM on the team sheet for me.

This for me too

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
BIGChris
April 21, 2014, 6:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Agree.

I do wonder if his laid back style is holding him back. I seem to recall he has told people he won't be here next season, maybe that is why he isn't quite seizing his opportunities.

Arriving at 2pm won't have helped and gives the impression of couldn't care less attitude?

I do like him as a player, he has talent but looks like he needs a kick up the bottom imo
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
Teestogreen
April 21, 2014, 6:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Well, its nearly a 2 hours improvement on Alfreton  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
moosey_club
April 21, 2014, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Teestogreen
Well, its nearly a 2 hours improvement on Alfreton  

Quality

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
chaos33
April 21, 2014, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Agree with Tommy's post. I thought he could have done a lot better and needs to get about the pitch more for me. He was by no means alone in turning in a very average performance, but I agree that he and Kerr together are not balanced. I'd rather have Kerr and Paddy or Disley and Paddy.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
Rick12
April 22, 2014, 9:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from BIGChris
Agree.

I do wonder if his laid back style is holding him back. I seem to recall he has told people he won't be here next season, maybe that is why he isn't quite seizing his opportunities.

Arriving at 2pm won't have helped and gives the impression of couldn't care less attitude?

I do like him as a player, he has talent but looks like he needs a kick up the bottom imo
Agree with all of that Chris.The ability is there but the attitude may need improving.If he had a stellar attitude I think Thanoj could of been a league player now

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
davmariner
April 22, 2014, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from BIGChris
Agree.

Agree, was fairly underwhelmed by how he played yesterday. He had the opportunity to kick on after having a decent game against Alfreton but failed to take it.

I get the impression he thinks he's better than he actually is. If he wants to leave then good luck to him, but I'm not sure he's feature enough to be able to get another club in the Conference.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
chaos33
April 22, 2014, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Oh I think he'd get a decent conference club to take him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
GyMariner
April 22, 2014, 10:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
Conference players are at this level partly due to inconsistency as to why we struggle to pick our strongest starting 11

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
LongEatonMariner
April 22, 2014, 11:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
He'll probably be playing in La Liga in a couple of years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
TAGG
April 22, 2014, 11:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
He's a young man still learning. May be if silly b0llock had played him a bit more this season he would have been able to cope better in pressure games like Monday.
At least he can pass a ball forward to someone in a black & white shirt which is more than can be said of the others in CM.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
arryarryarry
April 22, 2014, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TAGG
He's a young man still learning. May be if silly b0llock had played him a bit more this season he would have been able to cope better in pressure games like Monday.
At least he can pass a ball forward to someone in a black & white shirt which is more than can be said of the others in CM.

Bloodyhell we were only playing Hyde who have been cr@p all season, him and most of the players should be ashamed of their performances yesterday.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
TAGG
April 22, 2014, 3:35pm

Vodka Drinker
yes they should so why pick out Thanoj for a bit of stick?????????????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
TAGG
April 22, 2014, 3:35pm

Vodka Drinker
yes they should so why pick out Thanoj for a bit of stick?????????????

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
MrsMariner
April 22, 2014, 4:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
I actually thought Thanoj was OK on Monday, I like his composure on the ball & how he looks to pick a pass, OK they didn't all come off against Hyde but no worse than any of the others or Disleys recent performances. Just wish he could add a few goals to his game, I would like to see him keep his place, just think are more positive with him in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
chaos33
April 22, 2014, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He was ok. I think that was the point - that he didn't seem to be able to raise his game to a level above 'ok'. Not on his own by any means.

Seems to me that, once Disley regains fitness, Thanoj will probably lose his place to him. Now, you could argue that this was always going to happen, but perhaps you could argue that Thanoj hasn't made that choice a major headache for the manager. Does he flatter to deceive a little bit? Seems the general feeling (and I agree) is that he looks a good player in lttle flashes but doesn't seem to be able to evolve that next step and learn to take control of a game, dictating play, creating and scoring goals in the way that we were all hoping he would. Not yet anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
Teestogreen
April 22, 2014, 9:45pm

Champagne Drinker
The future is Thanoj isn't it. You can see that PH  is using the experience of Kerr and Disley  to achieve  the seasons aim and someone  like Thanoj must get frustrated. He knows he will get dropped, whatever he does and in the long run, this is not good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
chaos33
April 22, 2014, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Same goes for Paddy, in the centre midfield position at least. At least Thanoj has had chances to play there and stake a claim.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
Rick12
April 24, 2014, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen
The future is Thanoj isn't it. You can see that PH  is using the experience of Kerr and Disley  to achieve  the seasons aim and someone  like Thanoj must get frustrated. He knows he will get dropped, whatever he does and in the long run, this is not good.
but if a player is good enough and the performances are good then in most cases a player will force his way in as its all about results.If Thanoj pushed himself more(like others have said) I think Thanoj could force his way in on a regular basis.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Grantham_Mariner
April 24, 2014, 12:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
He'll probably be playing in La Liga in a couple of years

And for Albania in the 2018 World Cup Finals.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
Teestogreen
April 24, 2014, 10:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
but if a player is good enough and the performances are good then in most cases a player will force his way in as its all about results.If Thanoj pushed himself more(like others have said) I think Thanoj could force his way in on a regular basis.

He played really well in a great team performance at Wrexham (a 1-0 victory) and was dropped to sub for the next 2 games - Kidderminster and Woking - to make way for Kerr (who served a suspension for being sent off and letting his team down at Hereford) to return.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
bobbyturtle
April 25, 2014, 1:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
well done on young player of the year, keep learning

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Rick12
April 25, 2014, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

He played really well in a great team performance at Wrexham (a 1-0 victory) and was dropped to sub for the next 2 games - Kidderminster and Woking - to make way for Kerr (who served a suspension for being sent off and letting his team down at Hereford) to return.
If he keeps though putting in performances like the one he did against Wrexham week in week out chances are he will get more of a look in.Its ok playing really well in one game but consistency is the key in football(reason why Roy Keanes career was so successful according to Ferguson).

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
Teestogreen
April 25, 2014, 7:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
If he keeps though putting in performances like the one he did against Wrexham week in week out chances are he will get more of a look in.Its ok playing really well in one game but consistency is the key in football(reason why Roy Keanes career was so successful according to Ferguson).

No footballer will be consistent, if his reward for playing well is being dropped for the next game and games after, particularly if the reason for this is to re-instate a player, who almost cost his team the previous game with the manager ignoring the warning signs.

Presumably Clough kept selecting Roy Keane (not dropping him when he played well), which gave him belief that the manager did believe in him. The player would then believe in himself.
(Is this too deep for the Conference? )

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
GrimDan
April 25, 2014, 7:23pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +13
I hope Thanoj starts tomorrow, we always look better creativity-wise when Thanoj plays
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
Rick12
April 26, 2014, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Teestogreen

No footballer will be consistent, if his reward for playing well is being dropped for the next game and games after, particularly if the reason for this is to re-instate a player, who almost cost his team the previous game with the manager ignoring the warning signs.

Presumably Clough kept selecting Roy Keane (not dropping him when he played well), which gave him belief that the manager did believe in him. The player would then believe in himself.
(Is this too deep for the Conference? )
no  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
Mariners_15
April 26, 2014, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Quoted from GrimDan
I hope Thanoj starts tomorrow, we always look better creativity-wise when Thanoj plays

I think he will start tomorrow but sadly only because Hurst will be resting Kerr and Disley ready to put them both back in for the play off games...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
Rick12
April 26, 2014, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mariners_15

I think he will start tomorrow but sadly only because Hurst will be resting Kerr and Disley ready to put them both back in for the play off games...
Kerr and Disley are decent though .Potentially though if Thanoj keeps improving and working on his game I can see him becoming a better player than Disley

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
ackomariner
April 26, 2014, 12:08pm

Cocktail Drinker
Disley and Kerr for me every time if fit I'm afraid

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Madeleymariner
April 26, 2014, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from ackomariner
Disley and Kerr for me every time if fit I'm afraid

Yes, good as they both are, Kerr is not fit enough, he starts blowing by the 65th minute, look at 2 blatant occasions against Alfreton where they broke quickly and he is left sauntering back with Thanoj running twice the distance to get back and getting in a crucial tackle on the edge of the box on one those occasions. Sorry Thanoj every week with Dizza or Kerr.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Mariners_15
April 26, 2014, 12:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Yes, good as they both are, Kerr is not fit enough, he starts blowing by the 65th minute, look at 2 blatant occasions against Alfreton where they broke quickly and he is left sauntering back with Thanoj running twice the distance to get back and getting in a crucial tackle on the edge of the box on one those occasions. Sorry Thanoj every week with Dizza or Kerr.

Agreed. We drop too deep with 2, 32 year olds playing in midfield... Need a bit more energy in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
acko338
April 26, 2014, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
In midfield, we need a ball winner with brains for the first pass on, a grafter / runner with 90 full minutes in them, and two supporting widemen / pure wingers, and then both full backs being able to defend and over lap the midfiielders.

Easy to write down, not easy to find as players willing to come here at our money, and at whatever level we are in next year.

Could Walker be the next McDermott at right back, assuming Hatton goes?

Winfarrah as cover for the left flank positions as well?

I'd also like to see Paddy and Andi as the central midfield pairing today.

Be interesting to see who are the two wingers, and the two strikers for today as well?

By the way, has the team bus left yet ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thanoj

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.