3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
N2K
April 22, 2014, 10:17pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +466
Gold Stars: 1
Just got thinking about the possibilities of what would happen if we don't go up. I was wondering whether Macca will want another year in the Conference when he could probably get into a League 1 club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
petethemariner
April 22, 2014, 10:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Its not so much a question of whether he would 'want' another year
in the conference, that i doubt very much, its whether there are any offers
on the table from league clubs to  make him their first choice - i think there
probably will be, but reckon if we go up he will want to stay here.
Very good keeper, tremendous potential, but not the finished article yet IMHO,
most keepers are at their best in late twenties/early thirties, so he has prob
got 3 or so years improvement  left in him yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
N2K
April 22, 2014, 10:44pm

Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner
Its not so much a question of whether he would 'want' another year
in the conference, that i doubt very much, its whether there are any offers
on the table from league clubs to  make him their first choice

Well there's been some scouts at recent games, so I imagine there will be offers in the summer, but not sure whether they'd make him first choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Tom13
April 22, 2014, 10:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Isn't there a similar thing to Pearson's renewal last year going on? I've read somewhere (on here I think) that it's pretty much done but hasn't been announced yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
N2K
April 22, 2014, 10:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Tom13
Isn't there a similar thing to Pearson's renewal last year going on? I've read somewhere (on here I think) that it's pretty much done but hasn't been announced yet.

hope so, we would do really well to hang on to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
StiggsGTFC
April 22, 2014, 11:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
I seem to be in a minority of one but he doesn't control his box enough for me. There are times when you need your keeper to come and take the pressure off the back four and he doesn't do it. This leads to the back four droping too deep.

Still learning and not sure he is good enough as first choice for a league club.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Tom13
April 22, 2014, 11:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from StiggsGTFC
I seem to be in a minority of one but he doesn't control his box enough for me. There are times when you need your keeper to come and take the pressure off the back four and he doesn't do it. This leads to the back four droping too deep.

Still learning and not sure he is good enough as first choice for a league club.....

He is young for a keeper though, and better coaching at a higher level would probably help him develop in this area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
petethemariner
April 23, 2014, 12:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

Fair point, i agree to a certain extent, but you see that at a much higher
level as well, keepers seem far less dominant these days to me, maybe its
the modern footballs i d'ont know, but every time i see Petr Cech concede
a goal its  seems to be him allowing his back four to drop far too deep and him
dithering  around in his 6 yard box - and he is far from alone in that, even at
the top level.
Macca  still has room for improvement IMO, but he has the ability to do it i feel,
hope it's with us..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
oldun
April 23, 2014, 6:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Being a second choice keeper can be a soul destroying place, probably only made bearable by the higher wages of a league club. Macca might get a number 1 slot in league 2 somewhere but any higher and he is likely to be second choice. If Town go up I think he will stay, but leave if not. I seem to think it has been said that the club have made him an offer at present, which he is thinking about. Agree with other posters, he has room for improvement but will probably do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
DocTower
April 23, 2014, 7:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

Said this , last season , was sat with friend who had brought his golfing partner , turned out he was ex Derby County goal keeper in the 60's . Really nice chap , pointed it out immediately to us , also that he was young to be first choice , decent shot stopper  .

Again what sort of coaching ?  Nothing against Croudson but he should be learning now after 3 seasons .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McKeown's Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.