GrimRob
May 1, 2014, 1:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
Please sign this if you support the new ground

http://www.change.org/en-GB/pe.....lex-at-peaks-parkway

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Grimal
May 1, 2014, 2:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
Please sign this if you support the new ground

http://www.change.org/en-GB/pe.....lex-at-peaks-parkway

I've just tried signing from here Rob and it's not accepting my signature.Don't know if anyone else has had the same problem.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Marinerdan
May 1, 2014, 5:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Adam Richman from 'Man v's Food' shared the link on twitter, hopefully that will get a few more signatures given he has half a million followers!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
grimsby pete
May 1, 2014, 5:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I have signed it,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
cleefish
May 1, 2014, 6:44pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
signed  it on the way to  the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
BIGChris
May 3, 2014, 8:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
IMO it isn't enough just to sign it and think job done. Please encourage friends family and colleagues to do the same
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
MyDogsThoughts
May 4, 2014, 1:09pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Still only at 2427 (13:00 4th May). Maybe after today's win more will sign.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
ginnywings
May 6, 2014, 11:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIGChris
IMO it isn't enough just to sign it and think job done. Please encourage friends family and colleagues to do the same

At a family dinner tonight. Will get my brothers and sisters to sign it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
ginnywings
May 6, 2014, 11:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIGChris

At a family dinner tonight. Will get my brothers and sisters to sign it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
GiveUsAG
May 7, 2014, 12:30pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
2,838 signed so far.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2014, 3:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
As quoted by mark lever on Facebook......20 years too late

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
BIGChris
May 7, 2014, 4:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
As quoted by mark lever on Facebook......20 years too late

Oh, Ok we wont bother then!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2014, 4:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Don't you agree then it is too late chris?

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
GiveUsAG
May 7, 2014, 4:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
2,887 signed so far.

I can't help but think there's a lack of interest in the Community Stadium and Leisure Complex at Peaks Parkway.

I don't think people realize / understand how important it actually is for the club to get a new stadium.

Some ask the following questions quite often;

Why at that location? They ask, why not Great Coats, etc etc?

Why do we need a new stadium when we can't fill the one we have?

What's wrong with Blundell park?

Why don't the club use the money to buy better players?

Who's going to be paying for it? How is it going to be paid for?

This is just a few questions asked. All of these questions were asked by town fans, on Facebook. It's not the first time I've come across these questions, I've seen a few people who support the stadium, asked the same questions. Maybe the trust or club, could put a statement in the telegraph answering these questions and explain why it is important for the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes to back the community stadium and leisure complex. These questions might of been answered (I know the Great Coats one was), but I don't think the message is getting out there. I think people need to know more about it and the reasons as to why it's so important. I've signed and shared the petition to over 1,220 odd people and probably a quarter of that has signed it. I just know we can get more signatures, if we really push it out there and carry on pushing it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
BIGChris
May 7, 2014, 4:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from GiveUsAG
2,887 signed so far.

I can't help but think there's a lack of interest in the Community Stadium and Leisure Complex at Peaks Parkway.

I don't think people realize / understand how important it actually is for the club to get a new stadium.

Some ask the following questions quite often;

Why at that location? They ask, why not Great Coats, etc etc?

Why do we need a new stadium when we can't fill the one we have?

What's wrong with Blundell park?

Why don't the club use the money to buy better players?

Who's going to be paying for it? How is it going to be paid for?

This is just a few questions asked. All of these questions were asked by town fans, on Facebook. It's not the first time I've come across these questions, I've seen a few people who support the stadium, asked the same questions. Maybe the trust or club, could put a statement in the telegraph answering these questions and explain why it is important for the people of Grimsby and Cleethorpes to back the community stadium and leisure complex. These questions might of been answered (I know the Great Coats one was), but I don't think the message is getting out there. I think people need to know more about it and the reasons as to why it's so important. I've signed and shared the petition to over 1,220 odd people and probably a quarter of that has signed it. I just know we can get more signatures, if we really push it out there and carry on pushing it.

All of which are answered in the leaflet to be distributed around the area so the message gets to as many as possible.

Its a tough task delivering up to 66,000 leaflets though
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
BIGChris
May 7, 2014, 4:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Don't you agree then it is too late chris?

If i thought it was too late I wouldnt be giving up my time to try and make it happen!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
GiveUsAG
May 7, 2014, 4:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

All of which are answered in the leaflet to be distributed around the area so the message gets to as many as possible.

Its a tough task delivering up to 66,000 leaflets though

Ah right sorry. Send a big bunch to me, I'll post them round the Nunny, Bradley park, the Grange... Have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
BIGChris
May 8, 2014, 11:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Now over 3,000
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2014, 2:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

If i thought it was too late I wouldnt be giving up my time to try and make it happen!

I think you miss what am saying mate. I agree that it's never too late, but wish it could've been 20 years ago. That way we could be planning our second new ground  

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
BIGChris
May 8, 2014, 2:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I think you miss what am saying mate. I agree that it's never too late, but wish it could've been 20 years ago. That way we could be planning our second new ground  

you must have been in the SW too long!

when you posted that it was too late I thought you meant it was too late!!!

Silly me
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2014, 2:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

you must have been in the SW too long!

when you posted that it was too late I thought you meant it was too late!!!

Silly me

Arp!  

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
horsforthmariner
May 8, 2014, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,599
Gold Stars: 9
I work in political campaigning so I have a few ideas about how we can influence Grimsby’s politicians. Firstly this is not an issue like crime, tax, the NHS etc which involves ideology, they are going to vote on basically electoral advantageous – i.e. where are the votes in this.

But it is a little more complicated than this, because some votes are more important than other votes.  In Grimsby’s example (These numbers are hypothetical) there may be 750 voters in Park Ward that are opposed to the new stadium. Across NE Lincs there may be say 3,000 voters who are for  the stadium and whose votes can be influenced by this issue. So 4 to 1 in favour of the stadium, you would think would indicate to local politicians that they should be supportive. Except that across NE Lincs 15 wards that only works at 200 voters per ward. The 200 probably won’t be big enough to decide an Election, whereas 750 votes in Park would be big enough to decide the election. The electoral advantage would be to decide to vote against a stadium.

The second big problem, is that the type of person who is going to be against the stadium is probably your blue rinse brigade, the one thing about the older voters is that they vote (and on mass). Politicians look after this group of people it’s why pensions have gone up year after year as pensioners vote, whereas student fees have gone up year on year as students don’t vote.

So my first big piece of advice is that if you want a new stadium, make sure you go out and vote on May 22nd. One scary thing most people don’t know is that political parties know whether people have voted or not. When you vote and you hand over your polling card to the clerk at your polling station, the clerk draws a line through your name (so you can’t vote twice) on the register of electors that is infront of him or her. Politicians have access to this.  They put this information into a database So a politician at a few clicks of a button can see whether you vote or not. And trust me politicians do look at this and make judgement calls on whether to help/do something for an individual based on their voting record.
The goal then has to make our local politicians think that there are a huge number of votes in their patch up for grabs, and they could be swept from office if they don’t vote for the stadium.

My first suggestion is posters, Councillors are irrationally fearful of a good poster campaign. While they are delivering leaflets, going out around the ward if they keep seeing posters it visually re-enforces a message. Posters also make politicians think there is more support out there than in reality there really is. At the last local elections, an opposition party had spent their time signing up poster sites and they got our Councillor convinced he was going to lose. In reality he romped home, much to his surprise on polling day. So we need to get a poster to everyone who signs the petition, or at least one that people can download and stick in their window – Something like on “May22nd I’m voting for a new stadium” would be a good tag line. (We’ve got an advantage that our club colours are black and white!)

Secondly, the petition is a really good idea, but I’m fearful that it’s a bit too online. It needs to be more community based, so petition sheets need to be in newsagents, libraries, pubs, cafe’s, hairdressers, anywhere in fact where people congregate. Get a freepost address and leave an envelope with the landlord, newsagent etc and ask them to post it back. This will get the volume of numbers necessary. At the moment the online petition has got only 500 more signers than defreitas’s petition. It needs to get up to 25,000 at least. Also make sure there is a space for email addresses (and put a big arrow next to email bit with the words “We can only let you know about the campaign if you leave your email address”) It would need to have the data protection wording. By harvesting emails, you can engage with a large group of people pretty much for free. There does need to be a data entry job here of putting the details. You could either set up an access database or alternatively just use Excel.

Thirdly, politicians hold advice surgeries (well most do) make sure we get a fair few people attending these advice surgeries in the run up to any particular vote. If they are seeing person after person telling them the same thing then this may well sway them.

We’ve got one really big advantage that we must not waste and that is there are two highly marginal Parliamentary constituencies in North East Lincs. Grimsby was won by just under 300 votes by Labour, It’s a top UKIP target and the Tories may need to win it if they want to be in Government post 2015. If Labour want to win the next election, they must win Cleethorpes. While it is a Council decision, do not underestimate the power MPs have in influencing local Councillors decisions. Therefore it’s important that anybody who cares about this writes to their local MP. If lots of people are telling the MP the same thing then they are likely to be influenced one way or another. You can find out who your MP is at http://www.theyworkforyou.com. But google your MP and don’t use theyworkforyou directly to contact them. Email/write to them at whatever address is listed on their website (and get friends/families to do this as well). You can do this as well for the Cleethorpes Labour candidate. I don’t know who has been selected for any of the parties for Grimsby, but at the moment it’s worthwhile emailing Austin Mitchell. Also make sure you email your MP and not the Grimsby MP, as MPs can only do work for their own constituents. These letters need to be polite, simply stating you are for the stadium and you wondered what their position is.

In terms of online activity, there needs to be a campaign facebook page, a twitter account and a website. This will allow good communication about campaigning activities but also will allow people to find out a click of a button who is supportive of the campaign and who is not.

One final point, is that Councillors are human, so do not slag them off as it may well be counterproductive. Don ‘t forget they are also friends with other Councillors. Andrew Defreitas may be an exception though as I don’t think he is persuadable!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
GiveUsAG
May 17, 2014, 10:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
With Hull making the FA cup final, and knowing the backing they had by their council to get the KC stadium built, this would be a good time to start pushing this petition around on Facebook and really push it out there. I've noticed after talking about today compared to talking about it a week ago, the interest in the matter has grown. So I say take advantage of the sudden interest and get it out there. UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
forza ivano
May 18, 2014, 10:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
I think the trust, the club and or the campaign should get in touch with horse forth mariner. He talks an awful lot of good sense

Should be over 3500 by the end of the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
BIGChris
May 18, 2014, 5:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from forza ivano
I think the trust, the club and or the campaign should get in touch with horse forth mariner. He talks an awful lot of good sense

Should be over 3500 by the end of the day

Already been in touch.

Could do with a few more helpers with leaflet delivery this week. A couple of hours or so? E-mail enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk

Incidentally we will publish a list of  which standing councillors have indicated they are for, against or simply not responded prior to Thursdays elections
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New ground petition

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.