Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ross Hannah!?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 342 Guests

Ross Hannah!?

This thread currently has 3,768 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
JMT
July 21, 2014, 10:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Honestly, do we really need a 20+ goal striker?

My opinion is we have got Hannah who can score goals and with him falling 5 short off 20 goals last season, especially with the service he got was pretty good i'd say.

But now we have got the added pace and a more attacking team surely he can push on and become our 20+ striker, even LJL may nick more goals with this team.

My opinion so don't hate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
July 21, 2014, 10:22pm
Guest User
See what you've done there mr optimistic, we've gone from getting a quality new signing that's gonna get us loads of goals, to trialling washed up never has beens, so to keep things nice and positive on here you've come up with this tripe!

Do you think we are flipping idiots
Reply: 1 - 27
The Singing Fisherman
July 21, 2014, 10:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Personally I think Hannah is capable of scoring 20 plus goals in a season. The guy is a natural finisher. With the right service and a decent run in the team he can defo get a good return this season. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Caesar
July 21, 2014, 10:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Well Hannah goes in flashes where he is unplayable, and then longer periods where he is very playable as he does not seem to understand the offside rule, so step out and bang threat gone.  I would love to be proven wrong but I do not think he is the man to get us 20+ goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
marinerdean
July 21, 2014, 10:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +23
I agree that he could get 20 goals a season. But I'd like a striker who can get 20 goal without penalties, like Hearn could.

Hannah scored 15 last season, but how many we're penalties?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
fiveallive
July 21, 2014, 10:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Jack Mackreth is great at getting players tap ins which is ideal for LJL,and Ross Hannah is one of the best strikers in the league he kept onside more we might some scouts looking at him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
JMT
July 21, 2014, 10:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from fiveallive
Jack Mackreth is great at getting players tap ins which is ideal for LJL,and Ross Hannah is one of the best strikers in the league he kept onside more we might some scouts looking at him.

With our added pace and more attacking approach i think we will see him onside alot more, as last season he was too eager in a team which liked to keep the ball back and intercourse around in midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
ScottyUTM
July 21, 2014, 10:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +11
Been saying this for a while now, I really do think hannah will have a big year this year. He is more than capable of scoring 20+ in this league, he shows glimpses now and again of brilliance, given the service and a good understanding with the other striker I really do think he will show his full potential this year and be a big player for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Tommy
July 21, 2014, 10:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I wouldn't say Hannah shows glimpses of brilliance.  He's a decent penalty-box finisher, but struggles to create chances for himself the way Hearn did, or shoot from range the way Connell did.

I'll be interested to see if any change in tactics or our pace in the team allows Ross more chances/service in the box. I think he probably could get 20 goals in a season, he got 14 being in and out of the team all year, so in a slightly more attack-minded side he could get more.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
brad_gtfc
July 21, 2014, 10:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
We need to play higher up the pitch and move the ball quicker to get the best out of Hannah, he's definitely got it in him to be 20+ goal a season striker. McKreth getting to the byline should help as opposed to Rodman who use to come inside more often than not. Also, think he needs to be told by Hurst that he's the man, he's the striker thats going to get us out of this league. Sadly, I don't think Hurst fancies Hannah that much for some reason, I wouldn't be suprised to see him start the 1st game of the season on the bench if we bring in another striker, me personally, I'd start him alongisde Lennie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
moosey_club
July 21, 2014, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from JMT
Honestly, do we really need a 20+ goal striker?

My opinion is we have got Hannah who can score goals and with him falling 5 short off 20 goals last season, especially with the service he got was pretty good i'd say.

But now we have got the added pace and a more attacking team surely he can push on and become our 20+ striker, even LJL may nick more goals with this team.

My opinion so don't hate!

Hannah does require service, wingers who can get to the by line and fizz a ball across, let him attack the near post. With the wing options we have that might just be the case this season.
The wingers running in behind should negate Hannah having to be on the shoulder and off side as much.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Tom13
July 21, 2014, 11:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from moosey_club

Hannah does require service, wingers who can get to the by line and fizz a ball across, let him attack the near post. With the wing options we have that might just be the case this season.
The wingers running in behind should negate Hannah having to be on the shoulder and off side as much.

You mean like the countless balls Thomas put in which were perfect for him to do this but he was still stood on the penalty spot?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
jaymariner
July 21, 2014, 11:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
Quoted from Tom13

You mean like the countless balls Thomas put in which were perfect for him to do this but he was still stood on the penalty spot?

It's ok because Dizza seemed to mop those ones up into the net on a few occasions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Harry Haddock
July 21, 2014, 11:33pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Providing he gets a good run in the team i can't see why he can't get 20 goals this season. When he's in form he's just as good as any other striker in this league (like when he was here on loan)

But to answer the original question. Yes I do think we need another 20+ striker, you never know what's going to happen this season.... injuries, form etc

I also believe we'll see a lot more goals coming from our midfield with some getting 10+ goals

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
July 22, 2014, 12:52am
Guest User
Quoted from marinerdean
I agree that he could get 20 goals a season. But I'd like a striker who can get 20 goal without penalties, like Hearn could.

Hannah scored 15 last season, but how many we're penalties?

So are we aiming for play offs and a 20 goal striker or the title and a 30+ goal striker?
Reply: 14 - 27
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 22, 2014, 6:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
To be fair, some of the balls into the box last season were utter garbage, and that's without mentioning corners!!!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
grimps
July 22, 2014, 8:45am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Hannah seemed o start scoring when Rodman and Nielson started playing well , He's a great finisher but unless he gets the service then he'll never score
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Garth
July 22, 2014, 8:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
To be fair, some of the balls into the box last season were utter garbage, and that's without mentioning corners!!!

Exactly,  and Hannah being flagged offside was caused by him making good runs but they were fowled up by a pedestrian midfield passes, Hannah is a goal poacher nothing else but is good at it  as his passed record shows. personally  I like him never complains or grouses and always a trier  like LJL we could do a lot dammed worse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Mariners_15
July 22, 2014, 9:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
As someone else said Ross goes through periods where he has a real purple patch but seems to follow that up by going on a massive goal drought which is not going to win us the league which is why I'd like to see us sign another goalscorer.

It would be interesting to see if we ever made contact with Brett Williams, surely a decent manager could have sold the club to him with probably a bigger wage that what he's on at Aldershot and a bigger chance of going up etc. I'd hope that we were on the phone to his agent a good few months ago being pro-active trying to tap him up so to speak rather, than just sat there waiting to see if he triggered an extension or not? And he just made his decision based on location etc rather than the fact we didn't really approach him!

Feel like if we'd have signed Williams we'd be favourites without a doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
July 22, 2014, 9:30am
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
Exactly,  and Hannah being flagged offside was caused by him making good runs but they were fowled up by a pedestrian midfield passes, Hannah is a goal poacher nothing else but is good at it  as his passed record shows. personally  I like him never complains or grouses and always a trier  like LJL we could do a lot dammed worse

I like Hannah too - works hard, decent finisher, with an extra yard of pace would be very dangerous.

If we play Hannah (alongside the Shop), we should recognize that he's the one who'll get us the goals - so we should set
out to get the ball to him in dangerous areas. Too often it looked like the only plan was to hoof it to the Shop and see
what happens. In general I felt our front two were too far apart.

As for this season, I think it could go either way - Hannah scoring 25+ goals if our midfield gives him the service, or him
losing his place to a quicker striker (Arnold, perhaps Pittnall) and generally being a supersub type. Time will tell...
Reply: 19 - 27
Maringer
July 22, 2014, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I actually think that Hannah's goalscoring suffered last season because of his high workrate. He really did work his socks off pressuring the opposition defenders but, in doing so, expended a lot of energy and also often found himself in wide areas when it would have been better for him to be more centrally positioned.

I'm hoping that the additional pace throughout the squad this season will mean Hannah doesn't have to do quite so much running for the team and can instead concentrate on getting into better goalscoring positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
July 22, 2014, 9:36am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
I actually think that Hannah's goalscoring suffered last season because of his high workrate. He really did work his socks off pressuring the opposition defenders but, in doing so, expended a lot of energy and also often found himself in wide areas when it would have been better for him to be more centrally positioned.

I'm hoping that the additional pace throughout the squad this season will mean Hannah doesn't have to do quite so much running for the team and can instead concentrate on getting into better goalscoring positions.

Agree 100%.
Reply: 21 - 27
chaos33
July 22, 2014, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I think Brown's game will be good for Hannah. He sees a pass or a run and moves it quickly and directly. If they can get their timings in sync Hannah ought to be offside less and in with a chance of scoring more.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
mariner91
July 22, 2014, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,244
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Maringer

Agreed. I'm hoping we'll have the ball more often as well which will save him haring around after defenders.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
oldun
July 22, 2014, 9:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Give him the ball in behind defenders to the left side of the area and Ross will do the rest. Also he is the best penalty taker. Without doubt he has the potential to get 20 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Jarmo.Is.God
July 22, 2014, 9:56am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Considering he didnt play every game, and had Tonk playing at times, he did very well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Cayman_mariner
July 22, 2014, 11:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
If PH sticks with him and let's him have a good run in the side he is more than capable but if he fannies about tinkering with the strikers in an out again this year then I think all our strikers will struggle again.

I hope this year he knows his best 11 and sticks with it. I think him being unsure of his best strike force hindered us at times last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 12:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from Maringer

Exactly, hopefully Lennie can do the running and Ross just stay in between the defenders and play on the shoulder. I know Gary Jones scored his fair share but when him and Reddy were up top. Jones worked incredible hard, dropping in and helping out and just left Reddy to do what he did best and terrorise defences.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ross Hannah!?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.