July 22, 2014, 10:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer

What an inane comment.

Anyway, otherwise, I think you have to take into account that Donny's No. 10 and No. 11 were both excellent - their best players - so it isn't too surprising that our full-backs struggled, especially as our central midfield might as well have not bothered turning up on that performance.

Ironside looked gangly, clumsy and slow. I'd hope we can do better than him unless he's signed as a cheap 5th choice striker!

You do realise it was a tongue in cheek comment.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
oldun
July 22, 2014, 10:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Bit unfair on Ironside, thought he was good, looks like a footballer!

Mmm a long way from being  that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from brad_gtfc
I've seen someone say on Twitter they'd sign Clay and Ironside after tonight, are they mad?

Was it themselves ?

Jesus, after seeing them their is hope for terry barwick.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Maringer
July 22, 2014, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
It certainly read as a negative dig at Hurst of the sort we see so often on here.

Regardless, I'm mostly in agreement with you about the players. No thanks to Clay (especially!) or Ironside, but possibly yes to Pittman.

I actually left the game feeling in a relatively positive frame of mind despite the heavy defeat as I think we already have a stronger squad than last season regardless of any future signings!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
Mighty_Mariner
July 22, 2014, 10:16pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'd like another look at Ironside as I think he showed some nice touches and might have something. Clay however was very poor IMO, decent workrate but displayed a poor touch and control, limited passing and no positional sense. Vertu much in the mould of Michael Leary and Anthony Church which should tell you ask you need to know!

There has to be better out there!

Pittman in the other hand was very good I thought. Very strong, good control and quick feet. I'd sign him tomorrow as I think he could score a load at this level!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I'd like another look at Ironside as I think he showed some nice touches and might have something. Clay however was very poor IMO, decent workrate but displayed a poor touch and control, limited passing and no positional sense. Vertu much in the mould of Michael Leary and Anthony Church which should tell you ask you need to know!

Pittman in the other hand was very good I thought. Very strong, good control and quick feet. I'd sign him tomorrow as I think he could score a load at this level!

I agree about pitman , you can just tell the lad has ability and would be happy if he joined us.

Is completely different to what we have, will score goals in this league for sure.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
Tommy
July 22, 2014, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I can't believe some the suicidal drivel from some posters on some threads tonight. Remember it was a pre-season friendly. And it was against a League One side, so of course they would outclass us at times.

In fact, although Donny were tidy in possession in the middle third, they didn't actually play through us and didn't create chances aside from the goals - all of which were very preventable on our part.

McKeown had a couple of shaky moments early on. Pearson and Toto won everything in the air and I can see them becoming a great partnership. Magnay is taking some stick but I thought he looked like a decent player with a football brain, who just got caught on his heels a couple of times that cost us.

Thought Clay didn't really have anything about him. Seemed to do a few tidy things and kept it simple, but didn't show much. Him and Paddy would definitely be too soft a centre-midfield partnership. I accept it's difficult to judge someone against that level of opposition but for me he didn't have enough in any aspect of his game.

Brown impressed me when he came on in the 2nd half. Very busy getting on the ball and linked well with Nielson.

Arnold and Mackreth will both destroy plenty of full-backs at our level for sure. Both clever players too, with good movement,  always looking to make angles to receive the ball to feet.

Pittman I would offer a permanent deal in the morning. Strong as intercourse and lightning quick too. Will be a real threat.

Ironside looks an intelligent player and I can see why we're interested in him. Holds it up, controls it well on the chest and to feet, and lays it off to others. A good alternative or competition for LJL for that role in the forward line.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
Hagrid
July 22, 2014, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Id sign clay, just because it would urine off so many on here! In all seriousness, and no disrespect to the lads as they gave effort, just technically not good enough- clay and iron- pitmann on the other hand worth another look
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
headingly_mariner
July 22, 2014, 10:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Teestogreen

Interesting statement H M - I thought that of him at Harrogate (and said so), which allowed LJL to look better. Will be interesting to see what the Grimsby management think.

All our best chances in the second half involved him and he was closest to scoring. I thought he won headers and held the ball up well, don't think he will score many goals but could see him setting a fair few up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
Garth
July 22, 2014, 10:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Good summary for me, I`d sign Pittman tomorrow, Ironside could improve and did so slightly towards the match end, lets not forget Donny outclassed us throughout the match, and so they should with a strong team out.
With a bit of poise in front of goal we should have scored at least twice, lets get the wrinkles ironed out preseason ready for the important stuff

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.