jonnyboy82
July 22, 2014, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad

Good balanced post. Don't let the likes of Acko, Johnny be good and the Old Codger put you off. All three are auditioning for the role of Senna in the remake of Up Pompeii...

Oh here he is...

Colonel gaddafi of the fishy.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 10:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from chaos33
But a fast-breaking decent team would exploit the fact that our two full backs are potential weak links and would be left horribly exposed with that system. IMO, they are both very average defensively anyway. I can't see Hurst going with that permeatation above very often, if at all. I think Brown and Disley will start in centre mid and we'll be 4-4-2 by default. If he goes 4-3-3 he'll add Paddy alongside Brown and Disley and probably go with LJL, Arnold and one other, to be decided.

I totally agree, I wouldn't actually go for that system. I was just pointing out thats the way it could be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
timmo
July 22, 2014, 11:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
Either I watched a different game or I am too positive for this forum, IMO...

We got out done by pure quality. Some of their movement, passes, knowledge of each other ripped us apart.
As for us I thought once we got on the ball and settled we passed well, looked for options rather than long ball.
Stand outs,
Arnold, strong, quick, intelligent.
Pitman, great off the ball, unselfish, picks out a pass.
Paddy, looked confident, some good passes, broke up play on occasions.

Poor IMO & reasons.
Clay, did a lot of running but not passes to note. looked out of position at times.
Aswad, didn't look interested, no awareness.
Macketh, I can only think of 1 time he ran at his opp, every time I noticed he him was too defensive, I compared his position with Arnold and he was always a lot more defensive.

Toto & Pearson, potential to be a great partnership but not quite there.

Overall I don't think we were poor I just think Donnys class showed. its there just with a few tweaks and we will be ok. Sign pittman could be the final piece.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
ackomariner
July 22, 2014, 11:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

Good balanced post. Don't let the likes of Acko, Johnny be good and the Old Codger put you off. All three are auditioning for the role of Senna in the remake of Up Pompeii...

Called an opinion , like you have, but different to yours, so it's wrong. Don't think we were wrong last season though  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
brad_gtfc
July 22, 2014, 11:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from ackomariner

Called an opinion , like you have, but different to yours, so it's wrong. Don't think we were wrong last season though  

You seem happy about that? I'm sure you'd rather us be excrement next year just so you could say you was right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Grimal
July 22, 2014, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from brad_gtfc
I've seen someone say on Twitter they'd sign Clay and Ironside after tonight, are they mad?

Well I hope it wasn't Paul Hurst that twittered that,cos we definitely don't need them,I've seen them in all the games they've played for us and no improvement what so ever from either of them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Stew0_0
July 22, 2014, 11:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Despite the result, this game was a worthwhile exercise for me and answered a fair few questions.

Want to say firstly that the result was really harsh as Doncaster had maybe 6 efforts on target and 4 went in. Either unlucky on our part or just clinical finishing. I also thought there 2 wingers were immense and gave Thomas and Magnay a really tough time in the first half.  Thankfully can't see it happening much if at all in the conference.

Jon-Paul Pitman - We need to get this lad signed up. Despite being 5ft 9in he held the ball well, showed skill, obvious pace and was quite powerful. Showed in patches that he and Lenny could work out a good understanding if played together regularly and can see him scoring goals.

Scott Brown - This lad is gonna be the key to our success this year. Showed in the 30-35 mins he played that he's gonna be ruleing the engine room not only with the ball but he's not afraid of a tackle. Very pleased with him.

Nathan Arnold - Offers a good outlet, showed flashes of skill and pace and unlucky not to get on the scoresheet tonight.

Jack Mackreth - Good pace, direct and can see a far greater end product than Colbeck last year. Also played in a few good corners too and if we can get Pearson and Toto on the end of a few this term they should be adding to the goals for column.

Also,  Scott Neilsen played well when he came on and Paddy McLaughlin played well in patches in the first half.

Was encouraging that we kept going and we had 5/6 good chances to score in the second half.

The fact that the new boys stood out most, says alone that they all have improved on what we had last season. This is the 3rd pre-season game I have seen so far this season and at one stage or another they have all impressed me.

Craig Clay - Showed little to suggest he is worth a contract, got completely bypassed first half and showed little more in the second half. Think Hurst must have seen enough to realise that we need to move on with the next target for CM.

Joe Ironside - Showed a few good touches and flick on's but don't think he's good enough for a contract.  Can't see him scoring enough goals to justify his signing.

The Right Back slot is a concern for me. Although Magnay will probably play better than he did tonight, I have never really rated Bignot. In fact I've been fairly impressed with Walker in the last two pre-seasons but cannot see Hurst throw him in at the deep end.

Overall fairly happy with how things are going so far despite back to back defeats but these games are for experimenting and playing with systems and line-ups and had we lined up our strongest 11 tonight we may have run the result somewhat closer.

Keep the faith and roll on Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
northbankmariner
July 23, 2014, 12:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Quoted from brad_gtfc

We can by playing..

Disley   Brown

McKreth   Nielson    Arnold

LJL

Have also been thinking this is a good looking formation. Would allow plenty of protection to the back for as two holding midfielders can drop when not in possession and allows plenty of freedom for the other three to support and even get beyond the striker. With the players signed this could really utilise their strengths. 4-2-3-1 for me.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
arryarryarry
July 23, 2014, 1:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
In the most part I thought we were crap and so far even despite some of the better results in the friendlies I really haven't seen any suggestion that we will threaten a play off place let alone the top spot.

Tonight it was men against boys.

Clay so far hasn't impressed me and I thought he was poor against Donny, Magnay some have suggested can play full back, well not on that showing, no pace and lost out in a few tackles and him and Thomas were hopeless for the third goal.

Totowhatshisname, not sure why some on here were nearly having an orgasm at the announcement he had signed, looks dodgy at times.

Makreth has looked decent so far, against Donny well out of his depth I cannot remember him getting one cross in.

I thought so far Brown has looked an improvement on last season and Arnold looked a threat but I still worry where the goals are going to come from, neither LJL or Hannah when he came on looked anything like scoring.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
ackomariner
July 23, 2014, 7:13am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from brad_gtfc

You seem happy about that? I'm sure you'd rather us be excrement next year just so you could say you was right.

Not happy at all, but could see we weren't good enough last year but a few were branded morons for saying so

I'm not happy to pay money to watch the same dross as last year ,and will say so on here, that's what a forum is for

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.