Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 392 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 60,998 views. Print
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
July 24, 2014, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I assume you mean LJL? Should we change the manager before the season starts?

I was always an advocate of changing the manager when the last one finished but that's been and gone.

I'm intrigued to see how he does now but like some on here I've not wiped my memory of some of the daft decisions and crap performances from last season. I'm not sure 2 players who came from a side close to relegation in Southport and the same tactics that were so urine poor at the start of last season are going to turn us into title winners. I like that he's going for pace on the wings though, but if your planning on playing a striker who won't get 20 goals in a season then a lot of that work could well go to waste.

I'd hate to see us scratching our heads in December when the signs were there way before. Of course he could be building a brilliant side that works well, I'm personally not seeing those signs yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 340
GrimRob
July 24, 2014, 1:05pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The grass is always greener. If PH had achieved what he had here (two fourth place finishes, and several good cup/FAT runs) at any other club in the division people of here would be crying out for him to be appointed as manager. He remains the best realistic candidate for the job, and another fourth place finish would be a good return for the season.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 61 - 340
headingly_mariner
July 24, 2014, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pontoonlew

I was always an advocate of changing the manager when the last one finished but that's been and gone.

I'm intrigued to see how he does now but like some on here I've not wiped my memory of some of the daft decisions and crap performances from last season. I'm not sure 2 players who came from a side close to relegation in Southport and the same tactics that were so urine poor at the start of last season are going to turn us into title winners. I like that he's going for pace on the wings though, but if your planning on playing a striker who won't get 20 goals in a season then a lot of that work could well go to waste.

I'd hate to see us scratching our heads in December when the signs were there way before. Of course he could be building a brilliant side that works well, I'm personally not seeing those signs yet.

I've certainly not forgotten the poor performances, but i also haven't forgotten the good ones, we are not going to play well in every game and i am also sure there will be the odd embarrassing defeat but that is just part of football. I think a 4th place finish last season was pretty decent considering the turmoil surrounding Scott and the players, we also lost our best player and main goal threat for the full season again.

We lacked pace last year and he has moved to change that, i also like the look of the two Southport lads, Brown looks steady and Toto could be a real star alongside Pearson. I have no problem with LJL being our main striker, he's a real handful, he is not going to score the goals, but it is about getting players around him that will hit the net. My only worry at the minute would be right back, we are not as strong as last season with Bignot and i need to see a little more of Magnay because it would be unfair to judge him on his performance against Donny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2014, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GrimRob
The grass is always greener. If PH had achieved what he had here (two fourth place finishes, and several good cup/FAT runs) at any other club in the division people of here would be crying out for him to be appointed as manager. He remains the best realistic candidate for the job, and another fourth place finish would be a good return for the season.

So you would be happy for us to show ZERO improvement in our league position? A simple yes or no will do.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 340
marinerjase
July 24, 2014, 2:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Personally, nothing against Hurst, but feel with a more experienced manager we wouldn't be playing in the Conference now. Not saying that's right, just my opinion. I feel he isn't sure on how he wants his side to play, whether that be through not having the players he wants or enough faith in their ability to do what he asks. I'd love him to prove me wrong and get us up this season though.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 340
lew chaterleys lover
July 24, 2014, 4:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GrimRob

I know you feel this strongly, and I have nothing at all against Hurst and really hope he succeeds - BUT - I get the feeling that the club itself is also happy with 4th place in Non League.

I know you are trying to be realistic but where is the ambition, the drive, the firepower and the determination to finish in the only spot that can guarantee promotion?

I think at some stage we will have to have more of a swagger about us, otherwise what is the point of us being a big fish in such a small pond?

For a modest sum we could buy a player or two to fire us to the top surely? If Fenty cannot afford it then again what is the point??
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 340
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 24, 2014, 4:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8

I know you feel this strongly, and I have nothing at all against Hurst and really hope he succeeds - BUT - I get the feeling that the club itself is also happy with 4th place in Non League.

I know you are trying to be realistic but where is the ambition, the drive, the firepower and the determination to finish in the only spot that can guarantee promotion?

I think at some stage we will have to have more of a swagger about us, otherwise what is the point of us being a big fish in such a small pond?

For a modest sum we could buy a player or two to fire us to the top surely? If Fenty cannot afford it then again what is the point??

What is the point? Fenty puts in what he affords or thinks we need, there is nothing stopping someone else contributing, Why not offer some of your hard earned cash to get a better striker.

Would you rather he walked away and we have nothing, I would say be careful for what you wish for, I am sure allot of Darlington fans would love to be as unsuccessful as us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 340
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 24, 2014, 4:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So you would be happy for us to show ZERO improvement in our league position? A simple yes or no will do.

Yes as long as we went on to win the playoff final

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 340
rancido
July 24, 2014, 5:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
It says in todays Telegraph that THERE IS money to bring in 2 strikers and another midfielder. Hurst wants another look at Pittman tomorrow night (if HE agrees), and the stumbling block for bringing in new people, is not financial, it was the location!!

Everyone on here and facebook know me as Mr Negative, but I for one, am quiet pleased with the signing we have made.  The Macreth/Bignot partnership looked very good against Cleethorpes Town, and think that will progress as the season goes.  Pittman looked good even though the result did not go our way against Rovers.  I also saw flashes of inspiration from Ironside, and I hope we manage to sign both these players

JF said this but according to some on here he would wouldn't he ,even if he didn't mean it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 340
Mariner21
July 24, 2014, 5:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

What is the point? Fenty puts in what he affords or thinks we need, there is nothing stopping someone else contributing, Why not offer some of your hard earned cash to get a better striker.

Would you rather he walked away and we have nothing, I would say be careful for what you wish for, I am sure allot of Darlington fans would love to be as unsuccessful as us.

I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I attend every home game every season!  I buy merchandise at every opportunity!!!!

I wouldn't invest my money in this club while JF is pulling the strings.  Ask Mike Parker!!!!!!  (enter additional names here)

It's the JF way or no way Imo.  He says he'll hand over the club etc but I don't believe him. I don't trust him why would I want to invest while this joker has got this club so tight round the neck.

I can quatentee if everyone of the begin loans is wiped and he walks for good I reckon we'll have new investment within 6 months.!!

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 340
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.