July 26, 2014, 12:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Chrisblor
*five games (which is even worse)

Well that should be considered a criminal offence for Paul.

The thing is I am quite happy at the players Paul has bought in but then it concerns me we still haven't got a striker in...

Our main downfall last year was we didn't score enough and was crying out for a goal scorer but Paul doesn't share the same concern as us, strikers are more expensive wages wise I suppose but when you bring a lad in who clearly looked out of his depth in his first game on trial then you give him the benefit of the doubt and give him another chance but it is plain clear to see to any football fan never alone a manager he is just not good enough then that slightly concerns me.

5 matches he has put the two trialists in and it is just a waste of time, they are not gonna cut it.

Paul needs to decide what he is doing and quick, Lenny and Ross need decent competition and we need goals.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Stew0_0
July 26, 2014, 2:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
My honest opinion of the 3 is that I would sign Pittman in a heartbeat. He's strong, expect to find the goal and would suit a front two of him and LJL. both robust and expect big things from both this season.

For me especially, why is Clay still here. Showed nothing at Harrogate (should know I went), so why would he be sooo much better vs Waltham etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
oldun
July 26, 2014, 8:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
My guess is that Paul hoped he would be able to get Connor Jennings and when this eventually fell through, he had to start again plus not being able to attract Bogle has created a bit of a problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
ivanosandwich
July 26, 2014, 8:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Tommy

I agree with this.

Ironside is the kind of striker Buckley would love in a side of his. Back to goal, play it in to him, control, hold, lay off to advancing winger or midfield runner. Looks to have a football brain, and can control the ball and link it better than Cook and LJL.

If the budget allows, I would sign Pittman (who can also play wide), Ironside (to compete with LJL as hold-up man) and still another striker. The other striker being someone likely to get 25 goals.

Isn't this what The Shop does?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
RoboCod
July 26, 2014, 8:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I wonder if the GET could go beyond their Fishy-nabbing news coverage and get word on how Bogle/other possible Town targets feel about being sounded out as potential Town signings. A little cynical, but no better way to get moves going with a good bit of old fashioned 'unsettling' of players, not like we haven't fallen victim to it.
Pre-season, after a great and very positive start has fallen flat due to the striker uncertainty. No other set of fans have endured so much misery and frustration due to chances not being taken/games not being won as Town fans....an experienced striker signing would see a spike in ST sales as well as showing a 'sign of intent', but I'm just seeing the clock running down now...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Jarmo.Is.God
July 26, 2014, 8:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
I thought ironside did ok last night, but Pittman is a better choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
jonnyboy82
July 26, 2014, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Hurst says in today's telegraph he has spoke to two of the trialists and they certainly know what his thoughts are and is talking to the other over the weekend.

I hope that's clay and ironside told not come within one mile of blundell park again and Pittman will be offered something.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
Maringer
July 26, 2014, 8:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I thought ironside did ok last night, but Pittman is a better choice

Really? I thought that Ironside was hopeless for most of the first half. He did a little better in the last 10 minutes or so but at one point, I'd forgotten he was even on the pitch for a 15 minute period as I don't think he got close to touching the ball! Another 'targetman' striker with pipe-cleaner arms who seems to be badly lacking in upper body strength. If we can't do better than him, I think we're struggling.

Clay was a bit better last night than against Donny (not difficult), but I didn't see anything in either performance to make me think he would turn out to be a good signing.

Pittman didn't really get involved enough for me last night though the forwards were winning pretty much none of the ball in the first half. However, of all the triallists, I think he'd be the one we might sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
itsnotcoditshaddock
July 26, 2014, 8:58am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Ironside was naff last night. Far too slow and on his heels all the time. He's not a patch on Cook or Southwell tbh. Desperate if we sign him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Mariner21
July 26, 2014, 11:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Surely we can't sign clay and ironside surely not??????

Like Johnny boy said. The players he has signed are promising why ruin it and sign these two drips?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › trialists

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.