Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › How do you measure PR?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 364 Guests

How do you measure PR?

This thread currently has 2,163 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Grim Reaper
July 28, 2014, 8:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
I've just been reading the John Fenty bashing thread and someone on there says that it is bad PR. Who decides that it is bad PR? Who decides that it is good PR? Is bad PR good PR? Is good PR bad PR? As a fan should John Fenty not be allowed to express his views? As a director should he not be allowed to express his views about Grimsby Town football club? Isn't Max Clifford a PR guru? Where is he now?

For me PR is like phycology, a lot of guess work.

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
MeanwoodMariner
July 28, 2014, 8:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
I've just been reading the John Fenty bashing thread and someone on there says that it is bad PR. Who decides that it is bad PR? Who decides that it is good PR? Is bad PR good PR? Is good PR bad PR? As a fan should John Fenty not be allowed to express his views? As a director should he not be allowed to express his views about Grimsby Town football club? Isn't Max Clifford a PR guru? Where is he now?

For me PR is like phycology, a lot of guess work.

It's a load of bolox in my opinion. Who makes decisions based on PR? Will anyone say "I would have gone to watch Town play but Fenty posted on the Fishy so now I won't"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
acko338
July 28, 2014, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Dropping to this league is no PR recommendation!!

For PR to really succeed, there needs to be a promotion season - a reason to celebrate, a reason to attend regularly, a reason to accept the JF PR machine !

PR in the next league up is the target !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
Belfast Town
July 28, 2014, 9:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 18
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
MuddyWaters
July 28, 2014, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
The old adage is 'all publicity is good publicity'. Pretty sure that's Ryanairs philosophy, not sure it's worked for Max Clifford though!?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
Caesar
July 28, 2014, 9:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Got to say PR requires a lot more guess work than psychology!  

But I guess PR is measured by the audience, a few people on the fishy now know that our chairman posts on here.  Most people seem to think that while it seems odd the fact that he bothers is OK so to that audience it is good PR for John Fenty.

If it featured in the gossip column of a sports paper it would probably count as bad PR making Grimsby look like a club who a run by a few raving lunatics an open forum.

Either way I think it's impact is surely minimal, just a case of using morton''s fork on Fenty.  If he had never been on the Fishy:

"He is arrogant, not listening to or engaging with fans etc."

Now he is on the fishy:

"What bad PR, he lacks class, run the club professionally etc."  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 28, 2014, 9:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
I thought it was 3.1412 or something to do with circles

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
RichMariner
July 28, 2014, 10:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
In the absence of anything more meaningful, AVE (advertising value equivalent, as in the money you'd otherwise pay for the same space in the paper or the air time on radio/TV) continues to be the way.

In my last job I was responsible for finding a better way to measure PR, and the short answer is that nothing really works. The industry can't agree on one thing.

PR, essentially, is advertising without having to pay for it. "Earned media" is the phrase you hear most these days, because most people associate PR with 'spin' and (sadly) Max Clifford.

Good PR shouldn't be about burying bad news and highlighting good news. It should be a way of giving the public all the information it needs to make an informed opinion of their own. And, of course, there are good and bad ways of doing that.

Too Good To Go Down has written a really good blog piece about the latest Fenty PR incident, which is worth reading.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
nickmariners
July 28, 2014, 11:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The old adage is 'all publicity is good publicity'. Pretty sure that's Ryanairs philosophy, not sure it's worked for Max Clifford though!?

The adage is 'no such thing as bad publicity'.  And it's a rubbish adage!

Bad publicity is, well.... bad - as was discussed on this forum Sacha Baron Cohen thread ad naseum (guilty m'lud).  

Ryanair actually suffer commercially from their original image - wherever there is equivalently-priced competition, most travellers express a preference to use the alternative carriers.  They're now spending to generate positive PR.  Apparently.

As a poster above says, even the PR industry doesn't know how to consistently measure PR value.  Today, the UK's leading PR agency simply measures newspaper and magazine column inches to demonstrate the success of campaigns to their clients - regardless of whether the content is positive or negative.  However - they know that this is at best redundant, and at worse, nutty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
kevikov
July 29, 2014, 12:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
PR or Public Relations can't be measured for me, only interpretted. Its the relationship/interaction/conversation between two or more parties. Take GTFC for example, the club have a duty (and hopefully a desire!) to inform and interact with the paying fans, its major revenue provider. How well it does that, and the many different ways it chooses to, will ultimately form its PR experience. Whether its the mundane but important fixture information, ground safety rules, player signing news, gold bond ticket availability, non football related revenue oppurtunities, youth development oppurtunities or whatever else, the club will decide how and when to release the information. If it does it well, professionally and easily digested in a wide manner of media, more people will access the information and be aware of it, a companies relationship with its customers is defined by the customers willingness to part with their cash, ultimately.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › How do you measure PR?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.