Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 199 Guests

Lennel John-Lewis.

This thread currently has 13,832 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
The issue is that Connell's touch just hasn't looked good since his return. He's not got into any shooting opportunities, he's not found space, he's not linked up play particularly well.

Perhaps he's just out of form after a lean spell (and then some), but he doesn't look up to the job to me at the moment. The fact that he was a free agent come the start of the season is obviously an indicator that he's not in great demand at the moment and perhaps other managers have seen he's not the player he once was. He was never one who seemed to rely on pace or strength when he was here but loss of half a yard could be vital. On the other hand, if he's just rusty and out of practice, do we have the time to let him try to play himself back into some form?

Either way, I don't think he's likely to be the solution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 133
chaos33
August 18, 2014, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I agree with lots of both of those last two posts. I do have to say two things though - Connell has looked really weak and ineffective in the 3 games so far - perhaps the poorest set of performances of any of our players barring Disley across those 3 games. And, on that basis, how long can we afford to persist with that level of performance whilst results are disappointing? If we persevered and the performance trend were to continue for the next game or two we'd be fast losing ground on the leaders and pi$$ing off those players who actually have contracts and have better recent form track-records?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 133
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2014, 12:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pontoonlew
Connell hasn't had a pre-season, give the guy at least a chance ffs.

Don't you realise you're allowed to criticise Connell. But not John-Lewis. It affects his confidence. It's all our fault you see.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 133
arryarryarry
August 19, 2014, 12:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oldun
Lenny was mom against Dover. He has missed a couple of chances so far but then he has been the only front player making attempts on goal, many created by his own efforts. Problems have been elsewhere, particularly in the wide areas because we have had none of the right players to play there, this had led to limited options for the strikers. The one time we did well down the flank on Sat and got a great cross in Brown failed to get it over the line. Had that been Lennie the abuse on here would have gone into overdrive. Whilst I am at it what about the chance in the first half which fell to Disley at the far post only for him to lash it wildly into the Osmond Stand. Again if Lennie does that he is crucified, not a word uttered at Disley. Not excusing Lennie's misses, particularly the one at Bristol but there has to be a bit of balance in the criticisms. He will definitely play on Saturday and so he should.

I've read some daft comments on here but that one is up there with the best of them.

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 133
August 19, 2014, 2:55am
Guest User
Don't worry oldun...

If the fishy player ratings have him top (least when I looked !) , he must have had a stinker.  
Reply: 104 - 133
oldun
August 19, 2014, 7:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from arryarryarry

I've read some daft comments on here but that one is up there with the best of them.

Brown missed a good chance and was voted mom by whoever chooses it on the day. Toto was voted mom in the telegraph. Yes he played ok and made 1 world class tackle, but his overall contribution was less than that by Lennie. Apart from Paddy's effort there was only Lennie close to getting a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 133
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 7:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don't you realise you're allowed to criticise Connell. But not John-Lewis. It affects his confidence. It's all our fault you see.

Don't be ridiculous.

If you want to criticise LJL for missing a couple of chances, feel free to do so. Just as long as you recognise that he's been the only one of our strikers who has forced a number of saves and actually got in position to have some efforts on goal.

On a similar note, if I want to point out that Connell has done absolutely nothing at all in 3 games and hasn't got near to scoring, I will. If somebody wants to gainsay about this point, they should feel free to do so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 133
Lambretta Mariner
August 19, 2014, 8:33am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
Reading todays telegraph, LJL is not 100% fit as he has a stomach problem. No mention of it anywhere previously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 133
arryarryarry
August 19, 2014, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oldun

Brown missed a good chance and was voted mom by whoever chooses it on the day. Toto was voted mom in the telegraph. Yes he played ok and made 1 world class tackle, but his overall contribution was less than that by Lennie. Apart from Paddy's effort there was only Lennie close to getting a goal.

Erm Lennie is a striker, his job is either to score goals or create goals and so far this season he has not done either.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 133
TAGG
August 19, 2014, 9:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner
Reading todays telegraph, LJL is not 100% fit as he has a stomach problem. No mention of it anywhere previously.

How strange. In the pub after the mighty Dover game my mate said "what's the betting LJL comes up with a mystery injury in the next game because PH not got the bottle to admit he's excrement and lose face by dropping him"

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.