14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
August 19, 2014, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113

Is this not why we have 4 strikers, why should all the responsibility and blame for lack of goals fall to him.

Oh dear, where do we get them from.

Private Message
Reply: 120 - 133
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2014, 1:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

Don't be ridiculous.

If you want to criticise LJL for missing a couple of chances, feel free to do so. Just as long as you recognise that he's been the only one of our strikers who has forced a number of saves and actually got in position to have some efforts on goal.

On a similar note, if I want to point out that Connell has done absolutely nothing at all in 3 games and hasn't got near to scoring, I will. If somebody wants to gainsay about this point, they should feel free to do so.

You can criticise Connell or anyone else for all you like. I have no axe to grind for/against him. I was just pointing out that some people on here get shirty if you criticise John-Lewis but are then happy to criticise other players.

What I will say in response to your point about Lennie having more shots on target is, look at his longer record not just the last 3 competitive games.

You seem content to point out that people are panicking after 3 games, yet you yourself limit comments to those same 3 games.

Time will tell of course, once we get the injured players back, but I honestly can't see this manager getting us promoted.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 133
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
It wouldn't have taken much for us to win the first 3 games and this with an injury crisis amongst the attackers.

With a full squad available, I reckon we'd have won at least 1 or 2 of the games. Nuneaton in particular were absolutely dead on their feet in the last 20 minutes, but we simply didn't have any subs we could bring on to add an extra threat. At the time I said that I'm sure we'd have won had even one of our wingers been available to us and we hadn't needed to play with 4 central midfielders.

The new season has begun and our first team when fit and settled could potentially contain 5 or 6 different players to our strongest squad last season. That's half a team. Thinking that last season's performances and results indicate exactly how the current team will perform isn't fair on the new players and isn't logical.

I think we've got a stronger squad than last year already (with another player or two set to arrive, hopefully), so I'm expecting that we will do better in general than last season. Injuries permitting, of course.

Whether it will be enough to see us promoted automatically is a different matter. I tend to doubt we've got enough attacking quality in the squad as yet to go up as champions. Hopefully one or two new signings could change this, but realistically, I'm expecting the play-offs to be our best hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 133
ackomariner
August 19, 2014, 2:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
He's only interested in signing defenders  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 133
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 4:14am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
It wouldn't have taken much for us to win the first 3 games and this with an injury crisis amongst the attackers.

With a full squad available, I reckon we'd have won at least 1 or 2 of the games. Nuneaton in particular were absolutely dead on their feet in the last 20 minutes, but we simply didn't have any subs we could bring on to add an extra threat. At the time I said that I'm sure we'd have won had even one of our wingers been available to us and we hadn't needed to play with 4 central midfielders. [Winfarrah?]

The new season has begun and our first team when fit and settled could potentially contain 5 or 6 different players to our strongest squad last season. That's half a team. Thinking that last season's performances and results indicate exactly how the current team will perform isn't fair on the new players and isn't logical.[The criticism is of the manager - his selections and tactics.  I can't honestly see him delivering a promotion winning team in a month of Sundays.]

I think we've got a stronger squad than last year already (with another player or two set to arrive, hopefully), so I'm expecting that we will do better in general than last season. Injuries permitting, of course.

Whether it will be enough to see us promoted automatically is a different matter. I tend to doubt we've got enough attacking quality in the squad as yet to go up as champions. Hopefully one or two new signings could change this, but realistically, I'm expecting the play-offs to be our best hope. [So not really a better squad than last season then]

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 133
Maringer
August 20, 2014, 8:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
[Winfarrah?] A young player who has made a handful of appearances in his short careeer. He's apparently being converted into a full-back yet you think he should have started in left midfield in front of McLaughlin who played there many times for us last season? That would have been deemed a strange choice had it not gone well, don't you think?

[The criticism of the manager's selection and tactics?] The selection was all but forced on Hurst due to the injuries to all of the attacking players. On Tuesday, the tactics weren't so much the problem as the poor performances from many of the players in the 3-5-2 system. Few of the players performed well enough yet we still ought to have won, really. The way in which many critics are ignoring the fact that pretty much all our strikers and attackers have been absent this season leaves me really baffled. It's almost as if there was some other sort of agenda.

[Not a better squad from last season?] Strange viewpoint here. It is obviously possible to have a better squad without being the best squad in the division. If you sign better players (which I think we have), you have a better squad. This doesn't mean that other teams can't sign players to have the best squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 133
barralad
August 20, 2014, 8:20am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
[So not really a better squad than last season then]

Depends whether you subscribe to the view that the status quo throughout the league has been maintained. I suspect with Forest Green having splashed the cash again and new boys Eastleigh being able to afford players like Constable the league is possibly stronger than it was last year. Gateshead and Halifax are still to be reckoned with and it would appear Wrexham may be resurgent this season. It's a reasonable hypothesis to make therefore that to attain a play off place the squad needs to be stronger.

Winfarrah looks a real prospect but it is a dangerous route to go down on the basis of one excellent game to assume that he is the ideal replacement for Aswad. Unfortunately I wasn't at the game on Saturday but must admit that I was surprised that he wasn't playing.

To a large extent, currently, P.H.s choices for team selections are somewhat restricted by what is available to him. I really do not understand what is so hard to grasp about that...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 133
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 8:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad
[So not really a better squad than last season then]

Depends whether you subscribe to the view that the status quo throughout the league has been maintained. I suspect with Forest Green having splashed the cash again and new boys Eastleigh being able to afford players like Constable the league is possibly stronger than it was last year. Gateshead and Halifax are still to be reckoned with and it would appear Wrexham may be resurgent this season. It's a reasonable hypothesis to make therefore that to attain a play off place the squad needs to be stronger.

So you're basically saying that you don't think we will get in the play-offs?
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 133
Maringer
August 20, 2014, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That's a bizarre inference to take from his post. Can you explain your logic?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 133
barralad
August 20, 2014, 11:00am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 133
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.