Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 208 Guests

Lennel John-Lewis.

This thread currently has 13,820 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
August 18, 2014, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Anyone think I'm totally nuts?  What about LJL in a 5 man midfield alongside Disley and Brown?

why ?

that's the kind of thinking that will cost paul his job !

actually, genius idea lets do it.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 133
Tinymariner
August 18, 2014, 4:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
The thing is we know what Connell is capable of doing and we know what John Lewis is not capable of doing. Connell and Pitbull to start IMO. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 133
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Tinymariner
The thing is we know what Connell is capable of doing and we know what John Lewis is not capable of doing. Connell and Pitbull to start IMO. UTM

Connell was capable of scoring during his last spell with us. However, he's now made 43 appearances since he last scored a goal. That's almost 18 months ago! Yes, I know many of these were as a sub, but he's had plenty of full matches as well without managing to stick the ball into the net once.

Thinking that Connell should be playing ahead of LJL when he's shown absolutely no threat for us this season is just bonkers. What is it, one or two efforts on target in not far off 3 full matches? That's a pretty pathetic showing from any striker, I'm afraid, and taking the gamble that he's going to come good doesn't make any sense.

You'd definitely keep the Connell of a few years back in the team, but not the current one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 133
grimsby pete
August 18, 2014, 4:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
About Lenny not scoring many goals,

Has anybody got how many points he gained us on the rare occasion he did find the net, ?

The reason I ask is, When Hearn score his 29 goals , a lot of them came in 3 ,4 or 5 in a match,

That's why we did not finish higher than 11th,

Hearn did not score any in the first ten games,

So it would be better if we had a striker who score the odd one or two as long as they got us the points,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 133
oldun
August 18, 2014, 5:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Lenny was mom against Dover. He has missed a couple of chances so far but then he has been the only front player making attempts on goal, many created by his own efforts. Problems have been elsewhere, particularly in the wide areas because we have had none of the right players to play there, this had led to limited options for the strikers. The one time we did well down the flank on Sat and got a great cross in Brown failed to get it over the line. Had that been Lennie the abuse on here would have gone into overdrive. Whilst I am at it what about the chance in the first half which fell to Disley at the far post only for him to lash it wildly into the Osmond Stand. Again if Lennie does that he is crucified, not a word uttered at Disley. Not excusing Lennie's misses, particularly the one at Bristol but there has to be a bit of balance in the criticisms. He will definitely play on Saturday and so he should.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 133
Tinymariner
August 18, 2014, 6:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I have been a big supporter of Lennies so far, however I think he has had enough chances to prove himself as a Striker, IMHO I don't think he is good enough to help us to promotion this year. Time to try something different. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 133
ackomariner
August 18, 2014, 6:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from oldun
Lenny was mom against Dover. He has missed a couple of chances so far but then he has been the only front player making attempts on goal, many created by his own efforts. Problems have been elsewhere, particularly in the wide areas because we have had none of the right players to play there, this had led to limited options for the strikers. The one time we did well down the flank on Sat and got a great cross in Brown failed to get it over the line. Had that been Lennie the abuse on here would have gone into overdrive. Whilst I am at it what about the chance in the first half which fell to Disley at the far post only for him to lash it wildly into the Osmond Stand. Again if Lennie does that he is crucified, not a word uttered at Disley. Not excusing Lennie's misses, particularly the one at Bristol but there has to be a bit of balance in the criticisms. He will definitely play on Saturday and so he should.

Both play in midfield who your going on about, LJL is a striker, getting paid to score goals, and has missed two sitters and one header on sat.

That's why people want a change , but it will never happen, so you will get your wish and see him play on sat and Monday

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 133
Garth
August 18, 2014, 7:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Well lets hope we get some sort of positive result on Saturday to help boost Mondays gate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 133
August 18, 2014, 8:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

Connell was capable of scoring during his last spell with us. However, he's now made 43 appearances since he last scored a goal. That's almost 18 months ago! Yes, I know many of these were as a sub, but he's had plenty of full matches as well without managing to stick the ball into the net once.

Thinking that Connell should be playing ahead of LJL when he's shown absolutely no threat for us this season is just bonkers. What is it, one or two efforts on target in not far off 3 full matches? That's a pretty pathetic showing from any striker, I'm afraid, and taking the gamble that he's going to come good doesn't make any sense.

You'd definitely keep the Connell of a few years back in the team, but not the current one.

Is that jumping the gun a little bit quick though ?

I mean they WERE at a higher level too (mostly as sub) and
- how many games did Hearn have before he scored ?
- How many goals had Connell scored before he signed for Town ?
- is he fully sharp, has he had a real quality chance yet, has he had even had the service ?!

Not saying Connell is the answer, really don't know. (not so far anyway !)
But is there a case to be extra sure we're not simply throwing quality talent away that might later shine when the team does ?
Reply: 98 - 133
pontoonlew
August 18, 2014, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Connell lacks decent physical aspects to his game but what he does have is a pure touch of class about him. An ability to do something out of nothing, a wonderful touch and great vision. That sort of thing takes a lot longer to leave you than pace does and I'd suggest the reason he's not achieved a lot at a higher level is purely down to the fact he lacks a physical quality. You can 'get away with it' a little more down here and that's a huge part of why he looked so brilliant here.

Let's not forget, he's played in League 1 for some of his goal-less time and almost all of those games he came off the bench. Give him some fitness, give him some game time and let him come good, or at least give him a chance to. People are quite happy to defend LJL when he's NEVER scored goals yet will then happily criticise a guy who's had no pre-season and just 3 games (one of which he met the team on the day).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.