Lincoln Mariner 56
August 18, 2014, 6:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from sutton mariner
I've heard The Lord Jesus isn't up to much at this time of year. Maybe get him in on a months loan?

Heard it was "nailed on" and we have already had the second coming when Matt Tees came back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 96
Stevie Saunders
August 18, 2014, 6:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Awful decision to go into loan market for left back
Sends out a terrible message to Winfarrah, Bignot, Walker

Luton played a few youngsters last season and it didn't harm them much

Hard to defend Hurst for this move
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 96
August 18, 2014, 8:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Awful decision to go into loan market for left back
Sends out a terrible message to Winfarrah, Bignot, Walker

Luton played a few youngsters last season and it didn't harm them much

Hard to defend Hurst for this move

I don't think there is anyone better to judge whether Winfarrah is ready to take on left back full time than hurst. Hurst started out as a small winger then moved to left back so understands how long it takes to adapt. He has shown consistantly that he has a great eye for defenders. He is also well aware of our lack of goals and therefore keeping a water tight defence is crucial. If we can- why not strengthen?
Reply: 42 - 96
August 19, 2014, 6:42am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The general point is why give these players contracts if you don't trust them to do a job?

Because they're relatively cheap but you hope young players will progress over time ?....

Agree it looks strange at first glance and doesn't add up.
But let's look at the facts again...

1) Hurst says he wants Magnay at right back.

“Carl Magnay has played there quite a bit for Gateshead, but that moves him out of the right-back position where he’s been, so we need someone in really."

2) Winfarrah has already played left back (so must trust him to play there !)

"I'm not really one to talk, but it's just the stature and the physical nature of defending – particularly at the back post area – that needs to develop."

3) Paddy has NOT played left back !
[Don't ask me why Winfarrah didn't play wing back - Hurst keeping him focused on learning the left back slot ?]

Bignot (probably backup right back ?)

Talented though he is, not at all convinced Walker is suited to right back (let alone left back !)
Far too many mistakes in pre-season for me,
If you ask me he's very talented but better bombing forward at wing back or even right mid than defending.

So we've got Caine, we need another LB = 1 1st choice + 1 backup LB.
Case solved !?  

End of the day what's the crime ?
Improving the team ?

If you want a "new striker" you've got Pittman and Hannah to try first !
Reply: 43 - 96
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 9:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Makes perfect sense to get some cover in, i thought Winfarrah did really well when he came on but has he ever started a game? i thought he would start against dover and would have offered a bit more pace on the left but i think he would face a really different test against Gateshead on Saturday and i don't see a problem if Hurst thinks he is not quite ready for that, he is young and unexpereinced and players like that often need bedding in gently. If he plays on saturday and has a complete mare everyone on here would be giving it big licks about PH chucking a kid in and not getting adequete cover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 96
barralad
August 19, 2014, 9:14am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Makes perfect sense to get some cover in, i thought Winfarrah did really well when he came on but has he ever started a game? i thought he would start against dover and would have offered a bit more pace on the left but i think he would face a really different test against Gateshead on Saturday and i don't see a problem if Hurst thinks he is not quite ready for that, he is young and unexpereinced and players like that often need bedding in gently. If he plays on saturday and has a complete mare everyone on here would be giving it big licks about PH chucking a kid in and not getting adequete cover.

That should make a few involved in this thread a little uncomfortable

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 96
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 19, 2014, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I thought too that CW was a midfielder.  He only came on against Nuneaton because there was no alternative.  Nuneaton gave him so much space to run into even I would have looked good.  Doubt if Gatehead and Rodman will give him that much space.
Playing Caine on Saturday give me the shudders (not in a good way).

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 96
arryarryarry
August 19, 2014, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
I thought too that CW was a midfielder.  He only came on against Nuneaton because there was no alternative.  Nuneaton gave him so much space to run into even I would have looked good.  Doubt if Gatehead and Rodman will give him that much space.
Playing Caine on Saturday give me the shudders (not in a good way).

If Rodman plays like he did here we shouldn't have to worry about his defensive prowess as he was cack at defending.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 96
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Unfortunately, he was quite good at attacking most of the time. I'd have backed Aswad to keep him quiet, but not sure how a stand-in will do. Hopefully we can cope with his running well enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 96
Grimal
August 19, 2014, 2:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Maringer
Unfortunately, he was quite good at attacking most of the time. I'd have backed Aswad to keep him quiet, but not sure how a stand-in will do. Hopefully we can cope with his running well enough.

I personally think Magnay is more than capable of dealing with Rodders. I'm just hoping Maddison fu@ks off to Peterborough as I see him as a much bigger threat.   UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aswad replacement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.