10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 19, 2014, 10:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The usual course of events for a player to make the step up from youth team to full time first teamer is to give them 20 mins here and 30 mins there in games that are all but won, unless they are exceptionally talented or strong mentally and physically.

Winfarrah had to play last week because we had no other options and he played well but it has to be said that Nuneaton were sitting back and defending a lot.

I think he should maybe have gotten at least a half against a poor Dartford but to throw him in at Gateshead could shatter his confidence if he gets the runaround.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 96
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 19, 2014, 11:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,649
Gold Stars: 72
Not sure what the problem is as Magnay regularly played at left back for Gateshead and we still have Bignot for right back or Boyce who played there for Lincoln.

For me we need to strengthen the centre of midfield and of course another striker as IMO Connell is not the answer unless it is a very dubious question which is disappointing but Ryan Bird would get us flying!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 96
August 19, 2014, 11:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
I think it more likely that he'll appear here and there (probably in the Trophy matches) and only play more if he really proves himself in training and when he gets first team opportunities.

Isn't that the whole point though ?!
Training aside (tbf he did well in pre-season too !), it does sound like:
"He'll only get more chances once he starts getting more chances"  

Can you see any irony in your statement ?

Perhaps the GENERAL points are...
- why are so many given contracts (e.g. I'Anson) to barely feature and when they ARE brought in and do well, don't seem to be rewarded with keeping their place in the side OR we don't seem to be able to keep hold of them.
- why are we spending a fortune on an academy for young players only for them to not get the 1st team chances they perhaps deserve ?

In short, are we "trusting youth" enough ?

I know it's a matter of opinion "how good they are" or whether they're ready.
But how many players that have gone out on loan ever seem to come back and not just leave the club later ?
I'd genuinely be interested to know this because I can't think of any that stay after going out on loan !?

My point is if they're "going out on loan to gain experience", is that experience helping or MAKING them into better players ?
i.e. If it's a waste of time, should we consider offering more 1ST TEAM experience and see how that goes instead ?

Now you might argue "Well if they can't cut it at Boston they won't cut it here..."
Well if we're arguably not noticing the talent at BP or in pre-season (are we ?), can we be sure we're noticing it elsewhere ?

I just wonder whether letting players chip in more HERE might be more profitabale for what they learn about the job they're ultimately being trained for. (i.e. in Grimsby not in Boston !)

End of the day, you can hold players back all day until they get bored to tears.
But until they get on the pitch for GTFC certain aspects of their game won't gain any improvement as matchday players for GTFC.

In short, isn't it better to "try and suceed" (or maybe "try, fail, learn and keep working) than to not try as much as we maybe should ?
Just wondering...
Reply: 72 - 96
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 11:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
No irony. Young players only tend to play if they are absolutely required to do so. It's always been the way of the world.

He looked decent the other night so I hope he makes the most of his chances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 96
August 20, 2014, 12:59am
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Young players only tend to play if they are absolutely required to do so. It's always been the way of the world.

Suppose so, is it right though ?

Surely there's something to be said for teams like Crewe who make it their business (literally) to introduce, improve and sell on young players for a whopping profit ?

I know we're not blessed by geography but the basic principle of playing youth at 1st team level to improve seems to make sense.

The club have made good steps recently in bringing in promising looking players like e.g. Winfarrah, Walker, Humble

Regarding Winfarrah you say "I hope he makes the most of his chances" and so do I !

But it seems to suggest if he doesn't instantly hit the ground running we won't wait too long for youth improvement (from playing games) to take shape ?

Must admit, I do get the impression the bar of expectation for a young player is set higher than a fellow senior pro.
After all, we don't say "I hope [seniorpro] makes the most of his chances" do we ?
Or maybe we do...

Anyway just think the club might benefit from a good think about it, especially if there's a longer term plan to play more youth in the future.
Reply: 74 - 96
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 3:46am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

He's so good he's so fine
Played left back for Palestine

He's so good he's so sweet
It's like the ball's nailed to his feet

He's so good he's the boss
fking awesome on the cross

Ace!

Where's that from?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 96
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 3:47am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

He's very good on Player Manger 2014 ()

Nice one!

Don't you mean the 0001 version though?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 96
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 3:49am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 120797

It's a fair point but it's a bruising league (relatively) with lots of big players to deal with (especially for defenders)

Some managers will give lots of matches, some will be selective when they do, others will coach til they're fully ready.

What we know for sure is he's already played a small part at left back.
He might play him there again.
We'll see...

They're even more bruising lower down, so when young lads get loaned out to clubs in the Northern Prem or whatever, they'll get knocked about even more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 96
August 20, 2014, 4:26am
Guest User
Well not saying we should never loan young players out but only tonight made a point in reply to Maringer considering whether it's worthwhile to GENERALLY consider letting youth gain more 1st team experience here at Town. (instead of going out on loan to develop)

So in short, I agree with you.
Reply: 78 - 96
ginnywings
August 20, 2014, 7:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 120797
Well not saying we should never loan young players out but only tonight made a point in reply to Maringer considering whether it's worthwhile to GENERALLY consider letting youth gain more 1st team experience here at Town. (instead of going out on loan to develop)

So in short, I agree with you.

Hurrah!    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 96
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aswad replacement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.