5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 18, 2014, 11:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
A couple of inches would have seen the two shots that hit the woodwork go in, and miss Mildenhalls flailing arm, and we are 3 wins from 3,

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
August 18, 2014, 11:51am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
If "if's and an's"
were pots and pans
There'd be no need for tinkers.  

Or put another way....

If my aunt had wheels she'd be a trolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
moosey_club
August 18, 2014, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
A couple of inches would have seen the two shots that hit the woodwork go in, and miss Mildenhalls flailing arm, and we are 3 wins from 3,

and if Nuneaton hadnt missed a sitter  and Dover had scored their penalty we would be looking at 1 point.
If's buts and maybe's.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
vuvuzela_hater
August 18, 2014, 12:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +46
A couple of inches and my girlfriend might still be with me. C'est la vie.      UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
marinerjase
August 18, 2014, 1:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
As has been said above - yes we could have 9 points - but we could also have 0. Every game the opposition has had chances, same as us.

Fact of the matter is we have 3 points.

Another fact is we don't create anywhere near enough chances (regardless of who's missing them), how many times during the last year have you gone away from a game thinking the football was decent, played at a tempo, stretched opposition, had a decent amount of shots on goal etc??

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
My hope is that the addition of pace to our squad will help us up the tempo and put the opposition under more pressure, at home especially.

Unfortunately, the new, pacier players have mostly been absent due to injuries in the first few matches. I'm looking forward to seeing how Arnold does (possibly as a striker) as I thought he looked quick and aggressive in pre-season.

I remember Mackreth causing us problems in the past so hopefully he'll settle into the team and become a threat as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
GrimRob
August 18, 2014, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113

Exactly. We could have won every game, we could have lost every game. Every match is a throw of the dice, people forget that sometimes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 49
pontoonlew
August 18, 2014, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from GrimRob

Exactly. We could have won every game, we could have lost every game. Every match is a throw of the dice, people forget that sometimes.

Every match is not a 'throw of the dice' whatsoever. It's not just a random outcome, you can tell yourself that though if it makes you feel better about the shite you watch week in week out lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
GrimRob
August 18, 2014, 1:39pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pontoonlew

Every match is not a 'throw of the dice' whatsoever. It's not just a random outcome, you can tell yourself that though if it makes you feel better about the shite you watch week in week out lately.

Of course it's a throw of the dice. Every sporting event is, they depend on numerous small incidents which could go one of many ways. Football, being a very low scoring game, is very unpredictable. Look at any bookie's odds, nothing is certain, nearly everything is very uncertain. Obviously some results are more likely than others but no result is pre-ordained.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 49
pontoonlew
August 18, 2014, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
It's obviously not a fully predictable but if we are treating games against teams with lesser players as a 'roll of the dice' then we might as well pack up and go home. Though saying that with some of Hursts recent decisions I'm tempted to say you never bloody know what's going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A couple of inches

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.