11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
August 18, 2014, 10:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Chaos.... I've looked at 80s' 2 teams for the weekends games and I can't see the left footed forward he's got down at right wing. I'd assume you'd mean Arnold, but I'm pretty sure he's right footed.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 101
Garth
August 18, 2014, 10:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Tommy
Chaos.... I've looked at 80s' 2 teams for the weekends games and I can't see the left footed forward he's got down at right wing. I'd assume you'd mean Arnold, but I'm pretty sure he's right footed.

Equally strong with both feet I believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 101
Tommy
August 18, 2014, 10:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from chaos33
4-3-3 is Mills' preferred shape and if you believe that 'matching up' is a good strategy away from home, then it's worth considering. Key things is - 'when not in posession, get in position'.

To give an insight into Mills' philosophy, he likes to tell his players, in that formation, that the back 5 (defenders plus 'sitting' midfielder) are there to prevent him from losing the game, and the front 5 (who's positions are interchangeable) are there to win him the game. They must then 'play' freely but remain mindful of two principal things - shape, and not to needlessly gamble or squander posession. That's why you'll never see Gateshead trying some of the balls and 'passes' (hopeful channel punts) that we do.

Great insight into Mills and how he works Chaos thanks for sharing. A great, clear and relatively concise playing philosophy that is evident when you watch his teams play.

I think he's destined to work at a much higher level. Championship/League 1.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 101
chaos33
August 18, 2014, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Yeah I mean Arnold. Seems he is predominantly right, but very two footed you're right, but often used as a left sided or central striker.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 101
kevikov
August 18, 2014, 11:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
Mc Keown

magnay
toto
pearson
winfarrah

mackreth
brown
paddy
neilson

pittman
connell

arnold on for neilson if he's blowing out of bottom after 65 minutes like last year  

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 101
August 18, 2014, 11:05pm
Guest User
Since my job's not on the line if this goes wrong:

Neilson     Pittman
Winfarrah                                      Arnold
                   Disley       Brown
                           Toto
        Boyce       Pearson       Magnay
                       |  Macca  |

Reply: 35 - 101
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
As regards Mills' teams. Do the attacking 5 or the defending 5 have to cheat and feign injury the most?

OK, perhaps that was a bit pithy as I don't recall his York team from the other year being a particularly dishonest group.

However, the Gateshead team we faced last season certainly used a lot of erm, 'gamesmanship', to give it a polite name. Surely those ploys must be planned as well? It can't just be coincidence that several of their players dived, cheated and feigned injury so frequently and so eagerly?

As for the football itself, the York team played some of the best football I've seen in this division, but they had the pace and tricky players to do so. The Gateshead team last season passed it around nicely enough but had pretty much no penetration and bagged their goals against us from defensive blunders, an almighty member-up from McKeown included. Oh, not to forget the fact that we were down some players when some of the goals were scored.

If they are no better than last season, I don't fear them this year, providing we don't give them goals again and the referee doesn't buy into their shenanigans. Perhaps Rodman and other signings will give them more of a cutting edge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 101
Abdul19
August 18, 2014, 11:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Maringer
As regards Mills' teams. Do the attacking 5 or the defending 5 have to cheat and feign injury the most?

OK, perhaps that was a bit pithy as I don't recall his York team from the other year being a particularly dishonest group.

However, the Gateshead team we faced last season certainly used a lot of erm, 'gamesmanship', to give it a polite name. Surely those ploys must be planned as well? It can't just be coincidence that several of their players dived, cheated and feigned injury so frequently and so eagerly?

Agreed. I never thought I'd be bothered enough to dislike a two-bit non league club but I've made an exception for them.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 101
chaos33
August 18, 2014, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from 120797

Oh look it's Mr picky negative, part of the super 6 I guess !

For the record, he's not just a forward, he's a winger and most wingers are versatile regards side because they can CUT IN. (which may even be useful if he's also a "forward" !)
But yeah, stick him on the left side like he played at Gainsborough (if you really want !) and swap Neilson over.

Oh yeah, and let's see YOUR team too matey !

Ha. I'm neither picky nor negative (you can't compete or find answers, so you lapse into the dismissive 'negative' jibe), and there's no such thing as the super 6. It's as ludicrous as your 18 point plan.

I've already stated that I liked the 4-3-3 team posted earlier by jimgtfc so keep up. If you'd like me to repeat that it's:

McKeown
Magnay
Nsiala
Pearson
Winfarrah

Brown
McLaughlin
Disley

Mackreth
Nielson
Pittman

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 101
jimgtfc
August 19, 2014, 12:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
I just feel that now we've got a bit more pace back in the attacking positions and with Gateshead's style of play, counter attacking could be our best route to 3 points on Saturday. I think a 433 system (not to be confused with a negative 451) is the best way to set up to achieve that. Really like Tommy's formation though and think that could be the way forward in games we're expected to win, especially with Neilson tucked inside where I actually think he'd be more suited, with pace either side of him.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.