KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 3:37am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

I suspect Hurst would probably want to "let this go" but as a manager charged with looking after the welfare of the staff under him he obviously feels the need to defend LJL (and probably himself) against some pretty relentless criticism. It might help if you and your band of brothers-some of whom seem to have based their opinion on what others say on here having not actually witnessed his performances- "let it go" and accepted that in Paul Hurst's eyes (the only ones that really matter) LJL is worth his place in the team. All this continued reference to "favourites" smacks of the school playground. In just about any other environment I can think of it would be construed as bullying. It is certainly scapegoating of the lowest form...

The fact is, it's not in the work place, or somewhere that the alleged victim couldn't avoid. People have moaned about players and managers for decades. Maybe longer. What makes that bullying?

You might equally say that in any other environment shouting out vocal encouragement for people to excel at work, or dancing and shouting when they do, would be construed as strange behaviour.

Nobody is being threatened with violence. Nobody is being threatened with removal of rights or loss of employment or business or loss of privileges. Unless you consider comments to the effect that "I'm not watching Town until X happens" as a threat.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 156
August 20, 2014, 5:25am
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So firstly, what you're saying is you can't criticise anything, any time.

And secondly, you seem to be equating "fans sticking together" with "fans voicing no criticism/no one must disagree with me".

Nah! Not me mate. If I wanted blind obedience I'd join a flipping cult.

Dear me Kingston...  

I can just imagine you as a player under Hurst....

Hursty: "Kinggy, I want you to play right mid at Heed !"
Kingston: "Why, because YOU say so ?"
Hursty: "Not really, just thought it might be best for the club if you did"
Kingston: "So what you're saying is you can't criticise anything, any time ?"
Hursty: "No but we've got us away game coming up there, though you could do a job for us ?"
Kingston: "You seem to be equating "players sticking together in a team" with "voicing no criticism/no one must disagree with me".
Hurst: "No, just thought you might see the advantage and point to it. How about sub, it might 'elp us all ?"
Kingston: Nah! Not me mate. If I wanted blind obedience I'd join a flipping cult.
Hurst:

Reply: 101 - 156
Hagrid
August 20, 2014, 7:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507

So firstly, what you're saying is you can't criticise anything, any time.

And secondly, you seem to be equating "fans sticking together" with "fans voicing no criticism/no one must disagree with me".

Nah! Not me mate. If I wanted blind obedience I'd join a flipping cult.

No. What im saying is what i put? I havent mentioned anything that you have said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 156
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 20, 2014, 8:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
The problem is that it is easy to say Hurst is obviously going to continue to play LJL because he hasn't signed a loan striker.

No, the problem is that people think he will continue to play LJL regardless of whether he signs another striker. Sadly for him, LJL has become a sort of symbol of how PH wants his side to play, hence the disquiet amongst the fans when he is selected because they know they are in for another lump it up the middle, struggle to score, game.

It isn't fair on LJL that this should happen but it is inevitable after last season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 156
barralad
August 20, 2014, 8:48am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121

The fact is, it's not in the work place, or somewhere that the alleged victim couldn't avoid. People have moaned about players and managers for decades. Maybe longer. What makes that bullying?

You might equally say that in any other environment shouting out vocal encouragement for people to excel at work, or dancing and shouting when they do, would be construed as strange behaviour.

Nobody is being threatened with violence. Nobody is being threatened with removal of rights or loss of employment or business or loss of privileges. Unless you consider comments to the effect that "I'm not watching Town until X happens" as a threat.....

If you think that making someone a scapegoat repeatedly for the failure of a team of eleven men to win a football match isn't a form of bullying then so be it. Violence takes all sorts of forms. I suggest that you listen to some of the verbal abuse levelled at LJL from the stands.
I don't know what your working environment is like but I always found that publicly praising a member of my staff was well received.
The lad has been made a scapegoat by people who still cannot believe that after four seasons GTFC are not back in the Football League and feel the need to channel that frustration onto an individual.
It may always have happened. It doesn't make it right.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 156
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

If you think that making someone a scapegoat repeatedly for the failure of a team of eleven men to win a football match isn't a form of bullying then so be it. Violence takes all sorts of forms. I suggest that you listen to some of the verbal abuse levelled at LJL from the stands.
I don't know what your working environment is like but I always found that publicly praising a member of my staff was well received.
The lad has been made a scapegoat by people who still cannot believe that after four seasons GTFC are not back in the Football League and feel the need to channel that frustration onto an individual.

No-one advocates bullying of any type. The source of the club's problem is that a lack of goals would appear to be the reason which fans see as to why we didn't get promoted last season and the reason we have started so moderately this. LJL has been a constant in our attack, last season and this and he is flagged up by the manager as the basis of our attacking threat. Unfortunately, we were told of names that 'make the hairs on the back of our neck stand up' and we are left with a striker who has consistently failed to deliver.

Sadly, he has become a scapegoat but why has this happened? As someone said previously, he's an athlete not a footballer.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 156
arryarryarry
August 20, 2014, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
As regards LJL I'm not jumping on anyone's bandwagon, I haven't rated him (and have been saying so) since the first game he played, even the Bury fans were saying he gave plenty of effort but was crap in front of goal, and nothing has improved.

I would love him to start banging in goals and tell the rest of us to fuckoff but looking at his scoring record since he became a professional footballer that seems unlikely.

Unfortunately in this day of social media fans are going to complain/praise those that they want to, it may be a sad fact of life but that is the way it is and the fishy is no different from any other fans forum.  

Private Message
Reply: 106 - 156
jonnyboy82
August 20, 2014, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad

Tbh i dont blame lenny for him being a hardworker but not a very good footballer i blame paul hurst for being so stubborn and not taking him out the team when he should have done..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 156
Maringer
August 20, 2014, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Tbh i dont blame lenny for him being a hardworker but not a very good footballer i blame paul hurst for being so stubborn and not taking him out the team when he should have done..

The lunacy of this argument at present is that injuries this season mean that we would have been playing with just one striker if LJL had been taken out of the team! If people want to moan about LJL playing when the other strikers are fit once again, fair enough, but we've just not had any choices this season due to injuries. Pittman clearly wasn't fit to start on Saturday, so we played the only two fit strikers we had. Why the controversy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 156
jonnyboy82
August 20, 2014, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Maringer

The lunacy of this argument at present is that injuries this season mean that we would have been playing with just one striker if LJL had been taken out of the team! If people want to moan about LJL playing when the other strikers are fit once again, fair enough, but we've just not had any choices this season due to injuries. Pittman clearly wasn't fit to start on Saturday, so we played the only two fit strikers we had. Why the controversy?

It doesnt just apply to these three games though does it ?

He has been first on the team sheet for far too long,the lad needs taking out the firing line for his own sake too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 156
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst takes a swipe at fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.