mariner91
August 20, 2014, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ackomariner

That's fine, that's your opinion . Now your last sentence you state you wasn't a fan of Cook....that's the same as the negative ones on here now not being a fan of LJL . Just saying like.....

I don't recall Cook getting the amount of criticism last season as LJL gets. And Cook was nowhere near as effective last season as LJL was. And before someone says "Cook scored a few the season before", let's not kid ourselves. That was a season before and Cook did not look as fit or as interested in my opinion as he did in his first year. Barring the Huddersfield game he didn't look threatening (even then, it wasn't as though you thought he'd score every time he got it) and never took his chance when it came.

I'm not for a second saying everyone should be an LJL fan. He has a fair few flaws in his game. But he gets criticism to another level that is not deserved. Brown's miss at the weekend was the worst miss of the season and people have hardly mentioned it. Had LJL missed that he might well have been lynched.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 156
grimsby pete
August 20, 2014, 7:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
If we drop Lewis and sign a goal scoring striker.

AND

He does not score,

Who do we blame then ?

Don't tell me, Hurst.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 156
gytone
August 20, 2014, 7:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,020
Gold Stars: 7
Hurst once said that if you play well you will keep youre place, in the Huddersfield game Cook played really well, as did most of the team, but was dropped for the next game. Cook was obviously a confidence player and IMO perhaps that is one of the reasons his confidence was shot and then maybe he let his standards drop in training !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 156
mariner91
August 20, 2014, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from gytone
Hurst once said that if you play well you will keep youre place, in the Huddersfield game Cook played really well, as did most of the team, but was dropped for the next game. Cook was obviously a confidence player and IMO perhaps that is one of the reasons his confidence was shot and he maybe let his standards drop in training !!

What about the four months of the season before that game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 156
August 20, 2014, 7:32pm
Guest User
Andy Cook
Who gives a fook
Andy Cook
Who gives a fook

Seriously though...
Could be ANY reason he was left out, tummy rumble, bendy knee etc
You might be right gytone but we'll just never know !
Reply: 134 - 156
gytone
August 20, 2014, 7:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,020
Gold Stars: 7
Nobody knows what happened before, but IMO he deserved to keep his place after the Hudders game, but yeah whatever he's not here anymore so it doesn't matter and we will definitely never know, just find Hurst and his comments a bit strange sometimes.....for example why the hell do we need a left back on loan  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 156
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from gytone
Hurst once said that if you play well you will keep youre place, in the Huddersfield game Cook played really well, as did most of the team, but was dropped for the next game. Cook was obviously a confidence player and IMO perhaps that is one of the reasons his confidence was shot and then maybe he let his standards drop in training !!

Not exactly great man-manager IMHO. Further examples are the recent treatment of Winfarrah, the persistent refusal to give Southwell a go, and the I'Anson thing.

This 'swipe' at the fans is only really a follow-up to the post-Lennie penalty v Woking hissy-fit isn't it? The biggest and best way to stick two fingers up to the negativity is to go on an unbeaten run till Christmas - that might just make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!  
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 156
August 20, 2014, 8:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from gytone
for example why the hell do we need a left back on loan  

I'd guess because whether Winfarrah starts or not, you normally have 1 first choice and 1 back up left back ?
Before you say "he wasn't first choice the other day", that was at wing back, not left back.
Don't have all the answers, I'm just guessing here...

Have a read of this theory...
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1408351660/s-30/#num43
Reply: 137 - 156
Quagmire
August 20, 2014, 8:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from mariner91

I don't recall Cook getting the amount of criticism last season as LJL gets. And Cook was nowhere near as effective last season as LJL was.

That's because Cook hardly played last season!

Effectiveness?

Player   Goals   Mins On Pitch    Mins Per Goal

LJL         8           3,684             460.50
Cook       7           1,497             213.86

I suppose it depends how you define 'effective' ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 156
HackneyHaddock
August 20, 2014, 8:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
"Hurst takes swipe at fans"

No he didn't.  Is this seriously how the forum's going to be until May?  Come on folks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 156
16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst takes a swipe at fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.