4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
August 19, 2014, 11:14am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The issue here, is not the frustrating start to the season,but the continuing failure to address the issues  that were apparent from December last year.
Make no mistake we lost any chance of promotion in the January transfer window when we failed to consolidate our team,whilst all those teams around us did.
It has been glaringly apparent to even a 12 year old we have been in need of a decent striker,we failed to address this in the January window,we failed to address this in the close season.
I believe we are one or two players away from a promotion winning team,please address this before the the transfer window closes, and we are condemned from another season of mediocrity.
Mr Fenty please reflect on what your legacy will be to Grimsby Town Football Club, whilst no one can deny your investment and support,is there not a moral imperative to at least return this club to the position it once was when you took over.Please do not spoil the ship for a h'apporth of tar ,we really need to invest in a top quality striker.
Remember you are in the entertainment industry and at the present time you clearly are not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
August 19, 2014, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from friskneymariner
The issue here, is not the frustrating start to the season,but the continuing failure to address the issues  that were apparent from December last year.
Make no mistake we lost any chance of promotion in the January transfer window when we failed to consolidate our team,whilst all those teams around us did.
It has been glaringly apparent to even a 12 year old we have been in need of a decent striker,we failed to address this in the January window,we failed to address this in the close season.
I believe we are one or two players away from a promotion winning team,please address this before the the transfer window closes, and we are condemned from another season of mediocrity.
Mr Fenty please reflect on what your legacy will be to Grimsby Town Football Club, whilst no one can deny your investment and support,is there not a moral imperative to at least return this club to the position it once was when you took over.Please do not spoil the ship for a h'apporth of tar ,we really need to invest in a top quality striker.
Remember you are in the entertainment industry and at the present time you clearly are not.

That is all fair comment.

I thought we had turned the elusive corner when we played so well against Huddersfield, but the lack of investment came back once again to bite us, as you rightly say.

If we don't invest, we wont get promoted its as simple as that really.

I think to clarify investment - going hell for leather for a player that is sought after by other clubs who will clearly make a difference to the current team.  
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
denni266
August 19, 2014, 1:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
I for one do not think its the players we have , its the way that they have to play , and thats the orders from the manager.. lump it to lenny and hope seems to be the plan.. instead of lump it to lenny and he knows where to lay it off to because its someons designated job to head strait there and so on. midfield dont get foreward enough to help because they know that they are set up to defend and must be there to defend, we prob have the best back line in this league, and should be able to cope without another 2/3  getting in there way, and leaving us short going foreward ,, attack is the best form of defence. and we should be making the other team  woried about us rather than the other way round
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
moosey_club
August 19, 2014, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Paul Hurst has a budget, he has not spent it as far as i am aware.

This is not JF's decision, it's P.H's

I am not aware of any requests from the manager being turned down when it comes to signing new players.

We have to operate within a set means otherwise the overall position of the club may suffer.

It is Hursts job to identify, research and recruit players. If he doesnt spend the whole budget, spend it wisely or build his squad correctly thats his fault, its not upto the board to say do you know what Paul,,,you have wasted all that money so here you go...have a load more and another go...or to start selecting players or refuse to sign players he wants because they dont fancy them.

At this level PH is the sole trader when it comes to the playing budget and he has to have the final say and responsibility for spending it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 2:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Hurst is still looking for players, I understand? Hopefully we'll see another attacker or two brought in before too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 2:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
Paul Hurst has a budget, he has not spent it as far as i am aware.

This is not JF's decision, it's P.H's

I am not aware of any requests from the manager being turned down when it comes to signing new players.

We have to operate within a set means otherwise the overall position of the club may suffer.

It is Hursts job to identify, research and recruit players. If he doesnt spend the whole budget, spend it wisely or build his squad correctly thats his fault, its not upto the board to say do you know what Paul,,,you have wasted all that money so here you go...have a load more and another go...or to start selecting players or refuse to sign players he wants because they dont fancy them.

At this level PH is the sole trader when it comes to the playing budget and he has to have the final say and responsibility for spending it.

To be fair Moosey, we don't have the biggest budget in the league, i am pretty sure we have a top 5 budget though, if you deliver a manager a top 5 budget and two years in a row you get a top 5 finish then surely that is not a bad performance.

This season we have another top 5 budget which i believe is again smaller than previous seasons, so i believe we will get a top 5 team again and i think anything else would be a bonus, to guarantee getting out of this league you have to win it which is tough but you have a far better chance if you have the biggest budget. Luton, Crawley, Fleetwood and Mansfield all had league winning budgets.

I imagine if we had the kind of budget that those 4 league winners had previously we would not have missed out on quite so many transfer targets and players would be more willing to relocate, i also imagine that decisions such as not trying to get Rodman when we had the chance after signing Mackreth was a financial one, these are things the other 4 clubs would not have worried about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2014, 3:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner

To be fair Moosey, we don't have the biggest budget in the league, i am pretty sure we have a top 5 budget though, if you deliver a manager a top 5 budget and two years in a row you get a top 5 finish then surely that is not a bad performance.

This season we have another top 5 budget which i believe is again smaller than previous seasons, so i believe we will get a top 5 team again and i think anything else would be a bonus, to guarantee getting out of this league you have to win it which is tough but you have a far better chance if you have the biggest budget. Luton, Crawley, Fleetwood and Mansfield all had league winning budgets.

I imagine if we had the kind of budget that those 4 league winners had previously we would not have missed out on quite so many transfer targets and players would be more willing to relocate, i also imagine that decisions such as not trying to get Rodman when we had the chance after signing Mackreth was a financial one, these are things the other 4 clubs would not have worried about.

Bearing in mind the positive impact that promotion would have on a new stadium project and bearing in mind that Mr Fenty has categorically stated that he will not prop up BP indefinitely, when do you think that the club should go all out with a league winning budget?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 19, 2014, 3:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
From what I've been told, the bogle deal may not be that dead in the water as yet

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bearing in mind the positive impact that promotion would have on a new stadium project and bearing in mind that Mr Fenty has categorically stated that he will not prop up BP indefinitely, when do you think that the club should go all out with a league winning budget?

i don't necessarily think the club should go all out with the budget, I am making the point that we are not competing financially with the clubs that are winning this league so i think expecting the manager to produce a title winning team is probably a bit much, not saying that it wont happen because i think he has built a good squad and they will go close, but we have a nearly budget and will probably be the nearly men. I do think if more focus and finances went on having a successful team than a new ground the club would be more successful, getting back in the league should be the priority over the ground.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
August 19, 2014, 6:21pm
Guest User

Just doesn't add up at all !

Are we seriously expected to believe that way back fans were thinking....

" Oh well we've really blown it now !
Still, we'll get to the playoffs for sure, then we'll fail there ! "

Bloody ridiculous !

we really need to invest in a top quality striker.

Guess we do, could be Pittman though ! (or someone else you just don't know...)

3 games in. let's not panic.
The club aren't stupid, guess they're just taking a more measured view.

Very easy to urine money up the wall quickly only to regret it later !
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Missing the Point

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.