MuddyWaters
August 19, 2014, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner

i don't necessarily think the club should go all out with the budget, I am making the point that we are not competing financially with the clubs that are winning this league so i think expecting the manager to produce a title winning team is probably a bit much, not saying that it wont happen because i think he has built a good squad and they will go close, but we have a nearly budget and will probably be the nearly men. I do think if more focus and finances went on having a successful team than a new ground the club would be more successful, getting back in the league should be the priority over the ground.

Ta, agree with all of that. But being nearly men isn't really good enough is it?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
mariner91
August 19, 2014, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bearing in mind the positive impact that promotion would have on a new stadium project and bearing in mind that Mr Fenty has categorically stated that he will not prop up BP indefinitely, when do you think that the club should go all out with a league winning budget?

And what do we do if we have a massive budget and fail to get promoted?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
ackomariner
August 19, 2014, 6:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
From what I've been told, the bogle deal may not be that dead in the water as yet

From who Woz?

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 6:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ta, agree with all of that. But being nearly men isn't really good enough is it?

No but I think if that is the issue we shouldn't really be pointing the finger at the manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
barralad
August 19, 2014, 7:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner
The issue here, is not the frustrating start to the season,but the continuing failure to address the issues  that were apparent from December last year.
Make no mistake we lost any chance of promotion in the January transfer window when we failed to consolidate our team,whilst all those teams around us did.
It has been glaringly apparent to even a 12 year old we have been in need of a decent striker,we failed to address this in the January window,we failed to address this in the close season.
I believe we are one or two players away from a promotion winning team,please address this before the the transfer window closes, and we are condemned from another season of mediocrity.
Mr Fenty please reflect on what your legacy will be to Grimsby Town Football Club, whilst no one can deny your investment and support,is there not a moral imperative to at least return this club to the position it once was when you took over.Please do not spoil the ship for a h'apporth of tar ,we really need to invest in a top quality striker.
Remember you are in the entertainment industry and at the present time you clearly are not.

Errr we signed a striker on loan who had scored virtually a goal a game with his previous club...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2014, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91

And what do we do if we have a massive budget and fail to get promoted?

That's the conundrum, isn't it? How dependent is the clubs financial future on the development of a new stadium and how dependent is the development of a new stadium on getting back in the league? I'm sure that the Board will have all the various answers to this.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
rancido
August 19, 2014, 8:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

To be fair Moosey, we don't have the biggest budget in the league, i am pretty sure we have a top 5 budget though, if you deliver a manager a top 5 budget and two years in a row you get a top 5 finish then surely that is not a bad performance.

This season we have another top 5 budget which i believe is again smaller than previous seasons, so i believe we will get a top 5 team again and i think anything else would be a bonus, to guarantee getting out of this league you have to win it which is tough but you have a far better chance if you have the biggest budget. Luton, Crawley, Fleetwood and Mansfield all had league winning budgets.

I imagine if we had the kind of budget that those 4 league winners had previously we would not have missed out on quite so many transfer targets and players would be more willing to relocate, i also imagine that decisions such as not trying to get Rodman when we had the chance after signing Mackreth was a financial one, these are things the other 4 clubs would not have worried about.

But Luton had a lot bigger attendance to go with that budget and it took them 5 seasons to get promoted. Their average attendance was higher than we had when we were a League 1 and 2 club and that extra revenue helps.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 8:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

But Luton had a lot bigger attendance to go with that budget and it took them 5 seasons to get promoted. Their average attendance was higher than we had when we were a League 1 and 2 club and that extra revenue helps.

I'm not questioning where those 4 teams got the budget from I am just saying we do not have that kind of league winning budget available to us, I'm not even saying we should up the budget I'm just pointing out that the last 4 league winners have been the big spenders. we may win the league but with the budget we have it's an uphill task for the manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
friskneymariner
August 19, 2014, 10:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
In response to 80's glory yes it was apparent we failed to strengthen our squad to any significant extent in the January window,to those who attend every home and away game it was evident that we were lacking in the ability to  break teams down as the number of goals scored demonstrate,after the first leg against Gateshead had we taken our chances the tie would have been over.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 19, 2014, 11:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Going back to the original topic of this thread whilst I have been critical of our early season performances I do believe a quality central midfield player and striker would place us in a very strong position to push for the title should we also adopt a more positive approach in our home performances.

I would also add that I have assumed that Arnold will provide added quality, not be another Colbeck, and Pitman will build on the promise shown on saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Missing the Point

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.