MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
As an exile from GY of thirty years I still find myself defending and proclaiming the natural freindliness, despite the Towns problems, of the people.  It appears that quite a high percentage on this message board either:- aren't representative of the average Grimbarian, or my exile has left me sadly out of touch.  A constructive argument should be precisely that, consideration of anothers views while countering with your own well thought out response.  Is it therefore possible for the normally rational to respond without abuse or trying to ridicule using percieved intelligence as a tool?  After all, anyone can appear intelligent in type!

On to the in/out and favourites argument.  My opinion for what it's worth (feel free to counter) is that we continue to under-perform given the resource and quality at the clubs disposal. Under performance is corrosive and is detrimental to the long term success of the club as both a leisure outlet and a business enterprise.  The issue is that the 'voice of the Customer', evident at matches and social medium, isn't being listened to or countered with factual evidence.  I suspect like most people, I long ago accepted that we have no divine right to expect success and that there are inevitably periods at any club where aspirations aren't met.  It's simply been too long at BP since anyones aspirations have been met.  I therefore urge the board to carry out a rapid appraisal of the likelihood of success under the current managerial setup and act accordingly on their findings.

UTM

Great post - in essence the customer is king, the same as in any other business involved in the entertainment industry.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Saudimariner
August 20, 2014, 3:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TAGG

So if your not in the rose tinted camp and can see Town are in trouble your moaning.
What a load of boll0cks you spout.

I wish I had said that, Whistler
You will, Oscar, you will.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
ackomariner
August 20, 2014, 6:10pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
As an exile from GY of thirty years I still find myself defending and proclaiming the natural freindliness, despite the Towns problems, of the people.  It appears that quite a high percentage on this message board either:- aren't representative of the average Grimbarian, or my exile has left me sadly out of touch.  A constructive argument should be precisely that, consideration of anothers views while countering with your own well thought out response.  Is it therefore possible for the normally rational to respond without abuse or trying to ridicule using percieved intelligence as a tool?  After all, anyone can appear intelligent in type!

On to the in/out and favourites argument.  My opinion for what it's worth (feel free to counter) is that we continue to under-perform given the resource and quality at the clubs disposal. Under performance is corrosive and is detrimental to the long term success of the club as both a leisure outlet and a business enterprise.  The issue is that the 'voice of the Customer', evident at matches and social medium, isn't being listened to or countered with factual evidence.  I suspect like most people, I long ago accepted that we have no divine right to expect success and that there are inevitably periods at any club where aspirations aren't met.  It's simply been too long at BP since anyones aspirations have been met.  I therefore urge the board to carry out a rapid appraisal of the likelihood of success under the current managerial setup and act accordingly on their findings.

UTM

Good post  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
August 20, 2014, 6:38pm
Guest User
My opinion for what it's worth (feel free to counter) is that we continue to under-perform given the resource and quality at the clubs disposal.

I would counter that due to the appaling injury situation we've been suffering, the amount of available quality has been significantly reduced (see YTS on bench) and the amount of under-performance therefore been grossly exagerrated (even by 3000 frustrated souls) probably due to the frustration of not winning previous games.

The issue is that the 'voice of the Customer', evident at matches and social medium, isn't being listened to or countered with factual evidence.

With all due respect guess you can't have been reading the very many reasoned arguments on the forum or listening to the manager or RH very much then !
Reply: 33 - 47
ackomariner
August 20, 2014, 7:11pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 120797

I would counter that due to the appaling injury situation we've been suffering, the amount of available quality has been significantly reduced (see YTS on bench) and the amount of under-performance therefore been grossly exagerrated (even by 3000 frustrated souls) probably due to the frustration of not winning previous games.

80s why were we under performing after Christmas last season when he had his full squad to chose from.

Ph said again before this season started that we've got a smaller squad, but better quality. So I'm not having all these excuses anymore about injuries , suspensions, bla,bla,bla......

If the young first team pros aren't going to be played, why sign them on pro forms? At the end of the day we've got the players but ph in his wisdom won't put them in

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
August 20, 2014, 7:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from ackomariner

80s why were we under performing after Christmas last season when he had his full squad to chose from.

From memory and without looking at the fixture list (wasn't working on the OS for 13/14 when I last tried !), guessing a combination of massive fixture backlog and perhaps "Don't take more risks than you need to to get into the playoffs" Hursty type thing.
PS I'm assuming you're right that we were under performing by the way !

Quoted from ackomariner
Ph said again before this season started that we've got a smaller squad, but better quality. So I'm not having all these excuses anymore about injuries , suspensions, bla,bla,bla......

Sorry you've lost me.
It's the QUALITY (Arnold, Pittman, Neilson etc) we've been missing ?

Quoted from ackomariner
If the young first team pros aren't going to be played, why sign them on pro forms? At the end of the day we've got the players but ph in his wisdom won't put them in

Generally with you on this one !

I thought Winfarrah should have played too but perhaps there are good reasons he didn't.
Perhaps wing back needs different skills to left back or he was saving him for future games at left back ?
Or maybe he's mainly focusing on coaching the lad to develop to make the club a few quid long term ?

Anyway it's all speculation, guess the reasons might come out in the wash at some point. (wish they would !)

I certainly want us to trust youth more at 1st team level whenever possible because I think it could help them develop.
Reply: 35 - 47
barralad
August 20, 2014, 9:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ackomariner

Are you suffering from selective memory?  Firstly:- The same manager was in charge of a team that from September through to 4:45 on January 5 performed generally very well (I'll gloss over Halifax away ) including beating two league teams in the FA Cup and pushing another one pretty close.

Secondly:- I would suggest that the fixture congestion at least had a bearing on our dip in form. We played 15 games in 49 days during March and April. There was a vociferous debate on here around that time about playing the same team for most of those games and Hurst was hammered when he played some fringe players away at Dartford TWO days before another game.

Thirdly:- You cannot possibly be serious about your comment "I'm not having this about injuries suspensions etc." We have had the majority of our attack minded players injured at the same time. Teams a lot higher up the pyramid would struggle to cope with the loss of two forwards and a speedy winger.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
August 20, 2014, 11:53pm
Guest User
Don't you mean 2 speedy wingers (Mackreth, Arnold) barra ?

[Before anyone says Winfarrah, you generally need 1 winger each side]
Reply: 37 - 47
KingstonMariner
August 21, 2014, 10:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797

So what's your gripe then ?

Oh do keep up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
KingstonMariner
August 21, 2014, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797

From memory and without looking at the fixture list (wasn't working on the OS for 13/14 when I last tried !), guessing a combination of massive fixture backlog and perhaps "Don't take more risks than you need to to get into the playoffs" Hursty type thing.
PS I'm assuming you're right that we were under performing by the way !

Sorry you've lost me.
It's the QUALITY (Arnold, Pittman, Neilson etc) we've been missing ?

Generally with you on this one !

I thought Winfarrah should have played too but perhaps there are good reasons he didn't.
Perhaps wing back needs different skills to left back or he was saving him for future games at left back ?
Or maybe he's mainly focusing on coaching the lad to develop to make the club a few quid long term ?

Anyway it's all speculation, guess the reasons might come out in the wash at some point. (wish they would !)

I certainly want us to trust youth more at 1st team level whenever possible because I think it could help them develop.

How about the season before when Scott n Hurst started the great non-scoring striker experiment.

Seen nothing to change my first impression since that game at Dartford.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › To all thous Victor meldrew's out there

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.