Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gone!!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 416 Guests

Gone!!!

This thread currently has 3,919 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
August 19, 2014, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from marinernige
I don't post very often these days, but always enjoyed the banter on the fishy. Its now become very dull with the same all sh@t and so much negativity nowadays.

Whilst everybody is entitled to their opinions it seems that's only acceptable here if you agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative.

We're three matches in and after reading the posts here it seems the season is over. Its true to say we've not had a great start but we've not lost yet either.  Its also true to say we've been unlucky with lots off injuries, suspensions and illness.

Anyway I'm really bored with the fishy now and so won't be wasting my time posting or even reading this now.
I'm a s/t holder, and will continue to support my team home and away. If we all keep the faith and stick together in getting behind the team who knows the future of our beloved football club may actually be positive.

Jesus, what is it with grown men and tantrums on here..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Abdul19
August 19, 2014, 10:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Jesus, what is it with grown men and tantrums on here..

Quite. If people don't want to post, then don't post. Don't announce it like a teenage girl on facebook.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
ginnywings
August 19, 2014, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from 120797

Critical (or negative) is fine just so long as you're offering constructive solutions.

While I couldn't disagree with most of yours more, I give you credit at least you're offering them constructively.

Surely that's the job of the manager?

Doesn't matter what we think should happen. Only the manager can affect change whether good or bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
August 19, 2014, 10:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Only the manager can affect change whether good or bad.

Completely disagree !
Fans can always play their part too.
Reply: 13 - 37
chaos33
August 19, 2014, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Don't get me wrong, some posters on here are negative. Many others are experienced, clever, informed, critical and balanced. Lots of folk then seem to assume that the board is polarised between those who are so-called 'positive' - sometimes called the 'rose tinted specs brigade' or 'happy clappers', and those at the opposite end who are known as the 'moaners', who indulge in 'witch hunts', bullying' and 'victimisation'. The 'negative' lot. I was called this yesterday in fact. Most of this is pure over-reaction and over simplification, and the board descends into what 80's called 'hysteria'. You then find that you have to be lumped into one camp or the other (cue the childish and divisive tick and cross nonsense), but we should resist this and go on debating.

The vast majority of posters are reasonable, reflective, even-handed, and understand that critical analysis is the driver of improvement. I fail to see how anyone could be truly satisfied with our long and short term reality - unless their expectations of Town are very low indeed. Personally I yearn to come on here and eulogise about flowing football, fantastic results and performances, and the clubs single-minded and ambitious march to victory and promotion. But I can't, because that's not reality as I see it.

Lots of topics worthy of discussion. Seems to me that those people who like to accuse others of being 'negative' (and then declare themselves as 'out of here') are being just a bit too.....well.....negative.
Onwards and upwards.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Marinerz93
August 19, 2014, 11:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 120797

They'll stop posting as much won't they ?

Probably understandable as fans tend to focus more on "fixing problems".

What worries me is the lack of constructive solutions. (especially the "support" (see being supportive) one)
More often than not it's just pure frustration which leads to over-reactive hysteria.

Put it this way....
I've yet to see anyone say "Well I criticized LJL but thought he had a good match on Saturday"

If there's no balance, fairness and people are just sticking to their guns or agendas, I can see why the OP says "agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative."

Nice to see you back and posting 80's.

If the team was performing you are absolutely right, our noses wouldn't be in the clubs business.  Again, you've hit the nail on the head, frustration causes different people to react in different ways.  The problem is this frustration it has been pent up since relegation to this Bananarama league.  You have life long fans who are fed up and voting with their feet not because LJL can't find the net from 6 yards but a multitude of things wrong with how the team sets up, the managers pre match speech and a few other things.

I agree, there may be some with agenda's and who will stick to their negative views, you have this at every club.  I would love nothing more than LJL to find his shooting boots and the club to get into the top 5 with ease.  

Scunthorpe at home played Fleetwood tonight in a league 1 game in front of a gate of 2773.  The players and managers at Town are very fortunate we are not as fickle as the Scunts.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
supertown
August 19, 2014, 11:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
Muppet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from chaos33

Lots of topics worthy of discussion. Seems to me that those people who like to accuse others of being 'negative' (and then declare themselves as 'out of here') are being just a bit too.....well.....negative.

The most active thread on this forum today is entitled, "Hurst takes a swipe at fans".

It is about a news story from the Telewag in which Hurst defends one of his players from what he feels is unfair criticism. No swipe involved.

I've not used the word 'negative' before, but that's all that thread is about (though some of the tangents of discussion in it are less so).

I'm guilty of using 'hysteria' to describe a lot of the posts on this board at present and I have to say I don't think I'm too far wrong with that description. Remember back in the old days of a couple of weeks ago where everyone agreed you can't judge a season until 10 matches in? I can.

Oh well, off to bed now. Night night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
August 20, 2014, 12:25am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I fail to see how anyone could be truly satisfied with our long and short term reality - unless their expectations of Town are very low indeed.

Reality or history ?

There's only 1 reality (it's neither long or short) - it's where we are NOW !

I understand Marinerz point about frustration being built over over many seasons. (tell me about it !)
But don't accept that's enough reason to accept the situation in terms of

"we're here now, what can we do to HELP ?"

End of the day, raising expectations to the roof based on past seasons in higher leagues is folly.
If only because I guess there's sod all chance Fenty is suddenly gonna pump another fortune in.
I guess unless we achieve football fortune, guess it's more likely it's gonna go the opposite direction !

There's a choice to be made - accept it now (before it gets worse and perhaps too late) or don't accept it living in cloud cuckoo land wagging rhe finger, putting management under even more unnecessary pressure.

The latter will only make things worse IMO.

Quoted from chaos33
Personally I yearn to come on here and eulogise about flowing football, fantastic results and performances, and the clubs single-minded and ambitious march to victory and promotion.

Well "ambition" is a mainly a club/board matter ?

While you can question Hurst's "ambition", it's why I think he deserves more credit than he's getting for working off a smaller playing budget.

You can set your expectations through the roof but it's simply unrealistic (and unhelpful !) IMO.

Reason being if your expectations are say League 1, no amount of frustration or want is suddenly gonna turn you into a League 1 side playing in the BSP overnight.

You can "think" yourself to be as good as you like !
What we need are small (supportive of management) steps that help us grow and gain confidence, leads to bigger steps leading to success and serious momentum.

Not oversized expectations that make any chance of INSTANT flowing football, thrashing Dover 7-0 etc almost impossible. (IMO)

Perhaps the only "expectations" that should really matter are arguably those derived from looking at the playing budget.
For that reason, I'm being realistic thinking playoffs, not automatic promotion by 25 points !
Reply: 18 - 37
barralad
August 20, 2014, 8:32am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 120797

They'll stop posting as much won't they ?

Probably understandable as fans tend to focus more on "fixing problems".

What worries me is the lack of constructive solutions. (especially the "support" (see being supportive) one)
More often than not it's just pure frustration which leads to over-reactive hysteria.

Put it this way....
I've yet to see anyone say "Well I criticized LJL but thought he had a good match on Saturday"

If there's no balance, fairness and people are just sticking to their guns or agendas, I can see why the OP says "agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative."

For me possibly the major point in the LJL "love him or loathe him" debate. As I said I wasn't there on Saturday but a lot of people I've spoken to about the game (most don't post on here AFAIK) credited LJL with having a decent game. That is not reflected at all by his vociferous detractors on here leaving one to wonder what he would have to do to get recognised. His miss at Brizzle was a shocker but if those that went on Saturday are to be believed Brown's was at least as bad if not worse.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gone!!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.