Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gone!!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 281 Guests

Gone!!!

This thread currently has 3,945 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
marinernige
August 19, 2014, 9:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
I don't post very often these days, but always enjoyed the banter on the fishy. Its now become very dull with the same all sh@t and so much negativity nowadays.

Whilst everybody is entitled to their opinions it seems that's only acceptable here if you agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative.

We're three matches in and after reading the posts here it seems the season is over. Its true to say we've not had a great start but we've not lost yet either.  Its also true to say we've been unlucky with lots off injuries, suspensions and illness.

Anyway I'm really bored with the fishy now and so won't be wasting my time posting or even reading this now.
I'm a s/t holder, and will continue to support my team home and away. If we all keep the faith and stick together in getting behind the team who knows the future of our beloved football club may actually be positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I had a break of a few months over the summer to avoid the silly season. Perhaps worth coming back in a month or two when we'll have a better idea of whether or not we really have a lot to moan about!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
NorthseaMariner
August 19, 2014, 9:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
I agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
pontoonlew
August 19, 2014, 9:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Just me who thought Hurst had been sacked then?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
ginnywings
August 19, 2014, 10:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Your choice Nige but a forum is to express all views, whether you agree with them or not. Those like myself who are critical of the team and management are cast as negative Victor Meldrews, when in fact i care deeply for the club and think it is not being managed properly. It isn't just the last 3 games either. I felt Hurst should have been removed with Scott or at least at the end of the season.

That is just my view and doesn't make it right, wrong, indifferent or negative. If you feel the board is too negative for you, then so be it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Nelly GTFC
August 19, 2014, 10:12pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from pontoonlew
Just me who thought Hurst had been sacked then?  
YES, first thing I thought!  

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
Marinerz93
August 19, 2014, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
Your choice Nige but a forum is to express all views, whether you agree with them or not. Those like myself who are critical of the team and management are cast as negative Victor Meldrews, when in fact i care deeply for the club and think it is not being managed properly. It isn't just the last 3 games either. I felt Hurst should have been removed with Scott or at least at the end of the season.

That is just my view and doesn't make it right, wrong, indifferent or negative. If you feel the board is too negative for you, then so be it.

The post above sums up for me what is great about the fishy and if people wish to leave the board for a time that's their choice.  

However, saying this board is too negative and won't be posting any more seems even more negative.  A couple of wins and a hat trick by LJL and every body will be talking about automatic promotion and LJL being top scorer, what will happen then, will the negative posters leave stating it's too positive for them  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
chaos33
August 19, 2014, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
And all this because some people don't understand the difference between 'negative' and 'critical'.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
August 19, 2014, 10:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93

The post above sums up for me what is great about the fishy and if people wish to leave the board for a time that's their choice.  

However, saying this board is too negative and won't be posting any more seems even more negative.  A couple of wins and a hat trick by LJL and every body will be talking about automatic promotion and LJL being top scorer, what will happen then, will the negative posters leave stating it's too positive for them  

They'll stop posting as much won't they ?

Probably understandable as fans tend to focus more on "fixing problems".

What worries me is the lack of constructive solutions. (especially the "support" (see being supportive) one)
More often than not it's just pure frustration which leads to over-reactive hysteria.

Put it this way....
I've yet to see anyone say "Well I criticized LJL but thought he had a good match on Saturday"

If there's no balance, fairness and people are just sticking to their guns or agendas, I can see why the OP says "agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative."
Reply: 8 - 37
August 19, 2014, 10:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
And all this because some people don't understand the difference between 'negative' and 'critical'.

Critical (or negative) is fine just so long as you're offering constructive solutions.

While I couldn't disagree with most of yours more, I give you credit at least you're offering them constructively.
Reply: 9 - 37
jonnyboy82
August 19, 2014, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from marinernige
I don't post very often these days, but always enjoyed the banter on the fishy. Its now become very dull with the same all sh@t and so much negativity nowadays.

Whilst everybody is entitled to their opinions it seems that's only acceptable here if you agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative.

We're three matches in and after reading the posts here it seems the season is over. Its true to say we've not had a great start but we've not lost yet either.  Its also true to say we've been unlucky with lots off injuries, suspensions and illness.

Anyway I'm really bored with the fishy now and so won't be wasting my time posting or even reading this now.
I'm a s/t holder, and will continue to support my team home and away. If we all keep the faith and stick together in getting behind the team who knows the future of our beloved football club may actually be positive.

Jesus, what is it with grown men and tantrums on here..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Abdul19
August 19, 2014, 10:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Quite. If people don't want to post, then don't post. Don't announce it like a teenage girl on facebook.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
ginnywings
August 19, 2014, 10:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 120797

Critical (or negative) is fine just so long as you're offering constructive solutions.

While I couldn't disagree with most of yours more, I give you credit at least you're offering them constructively.

Surely that's the job of the manager?

Doesn't matter what we think should happen. Only the manager can affect change whether good or bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
August 19, 2014, 10:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Only the manager can affect change whether good or bad.

Completely disagree !
Fans can always play their part too.
Reply: 13 - 37
chaos33
August 19, 2014, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Don't get me wrong, some posters on here are negative. Many others are experienced, clever, informed, critical and balanced. Lots of folk then seem to assume that the board is polarised between those who are so-called 'positive' - sometimes called the 'rose tinted specs brigade' or 'happy clappers', and those at the opposite end who are known as the 'moaners', who indulge in 'witch hunts', bullying' and 'victimisation'. The 'negative' lot. I was called this yesterday in fact. Most of this is pure over-reaction and over simplification, and the board descends into what 80's called 'hysteria'. You then find that you have to be lumped into one camp or the other (cue the childish and divisive tick and cross nonsense), but we should resist this and go on debating.

The vast majority of posters are reasonable, reflective, even-handed, and understand that critical analysis is the driver of improvement. I fail to see how anyone could be truly satisfied with our long and short term reality - unless their expectations of Town are very low indeed. Personally I yearn to come on here and eulogise about flowing football, fantastic results and performances, and the clubs single-minded and ambitious march to victory and promotion. But I can't, because that's not reality as I see it.

Lots of topics worthy of discussion. Seems to me that those people who like to accuse others of being 'negative' (and then declare themselves as 'out of here') are being just a bit too.....well.....negative.
Onwards and upwards.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Marinerz93
August 19, 2014, 11:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 120797

What worries me is the lack of constructive solutions. (especially the "support" (see being supportive) one)
More often than not it's just pure frustration which leads to over-reactive hysteria.

Put it this way....
I've yet to see anyone say "Well I criticized LJL but thought he had a good match on Saturday"

If there's no balance, fairness and people are just sticking to their guns or agendas, I can see why the OP says "agree with those that are shouting loudest and fail to see anything but the negative."

Nice to see you back and posting 80's.

If the team was performing you are absolutely right, our noses wouldn't be in the clubs business.  Again, you've hit the nail on the head, frustration causes different people to react in different ways.  The problem is this frustration it has been pent up since relegation to this Bananarama league.  You have life long fans who are fed up and voting with their feet not because LJL can't find the net from 6 yards but a multitude of things wrong with how the team sets up, the managers pre match speech and a few other things.

I agree, there may be some with agenda's and who will stick to their negative views, you have this at every club.  I would love nothing more than LJL to find his shooting boots and the club to get into the top 5 with ease.  

Scunthorpe at home played Fleetwood tonight in a league 1 game in front of a gate of 2773.  The players and managers at Town are very fortunate we are not as fickle as the Scunts.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
supertown
August 19, 2014, 11:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
Muppet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 11:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from chaos33

Lots of topics worthy of discussion. Seems to me that those people who like to accuse others of being 'negative' (and then declare themselves as 'out of here') are being just a bit too.....well.....negative.

The most active thread on this forum today is entitled, "Hurst takes a swipe at fans".

It is about a news story from the Telewag in which Hurst defends one of his players from what he feels is unfair criticism. No swipe involved.

I've not used the word 'negative' before, but that's all that thread is about (though some of the tangents of discussion in it are less so).

I'm guilty of using 'hysteria' to describe a lot of the posts on this board at present and I have to say I don't think I'm too far wrong with that description. Remember back in the old days of a couple of weeks ago where everyone agreed you can't judge a season until 10 matches in? I can.

Oh well, off to bed now. Night night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
August 20, 2014, 12:25am
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
I fail to see how anyone could be truly satisfied with our long and short term reality - unless their expectations of Town are very low indeed.

Reality or history ?

There's only 1 reality (it's neither long or short) - it's where we are NOW !

I understand Marinerz point about frustration being built over over many seasons. (tell me about it !)
But don't accept that's enough reason to accept the situation in terms of

"we're here now, what can we do to HELP ?"

End of the day, raising expectations to the roof based on past seasons in higher leagues is folly.
If only because I guess there's sod all chance Fenty is suddenly gonna pump another fortune in.
I guess unless we achieve football fortune, guess it's more likely it's gonna go the opposite direction !

There's a choice to be made - accept it now (before it gets worse and perhaps too late) or don't accept it living in cloud cuckoo land wagging rhe finger, putting management under even more unnecessary pressure.

The latter will only make things worse IMO.

Quoted from chaos33
Personally I yearn to come on here and eulogise about flowing football, fantastic results and performances, and the clubs single-minded and ambitious march to victory and promotion.

Well "ambition" is a mainly a club/board matter ?

While you can question Hurst's "ambition", it's why I think he deserves more credit than he's getting for working off a smaller playing budget.

You can set your expectations through the roof but it's simply unrealistic (and unhelpful !) IMO.

Reason being if your expectations are say League 1, no amount of frustration or want is suddenly gonna turn you into a League 1 side playing in the BSP overnight.

You can "think" yourself to be as good as you like !
What we need are small (supportive of management) steps that help us grow and gain confidence, leads to bigger steps leading to success and serious momentum.

Not oversized expectations that make any chance of INSTANT flowing football, thrashing Dover 7-0 etc almost impossible. (IMO)

Perhaps the only "expectations" that should really matter are arguably those derived from looking at the playing budget.
For that reason, I'm being realistic thinking playoffs, not automatic promotion by 25 points !
Reply: 18 - 37
barralad
August 20, 2014, 8:32am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 120797

Put it this way....

For me possibly the major point in the LJL "love him or loathe him" debate. As I said I wasn't there on Saturday but a lot of people I've spoken to about the game (most don't post on here AFAIK) credited LJL with having a decent game. That is not reflected at all by his vociferous detractors on here leaving one to wonder what he would have to do to get recognised. His miss at Brizzle was a shocker but if those that went on Saturday are to be believed Brown's was at least as bad if not worse.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
acko338
August 20, 2014, 8:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
WHY do we all post on here?

Because whichever type of fan you are, you want to see Grimsby Town back playing in the Football league and the kudos at work wherever you are in the UK to defend your team.

Currently not much to shout about, over the last three seasons, improvement that has has the team knocking on the play offs door.

We have been found out on each playoff game to date - fact !

On paper, we now have the strongest team squad in the last three years, but three games in, we haven't played the strongest team as yet.... whatever that team evolves into ???

The next two months will define if Hurst is up to the selection job, and can motivate whoever he picks... that's what he's there for !

We are there to put the fans and supporters perspective of our expectations from paying money each home game and also the brillaint following away entourage that every club needs for their team.

The Forum - everyone is entitles to an opinion... how that isd expressed in print can be monitored by the Mods on here, so there is an acceptable standard to uphold.

Other than that, the banter on here can make my day, and I will sometimes throw something into a new thread to see what a reaction can be gained from those on here.I

If Fenty and the manager do come on here in reality or have people monitoring this site, then they should know that promotion at all costs is the prime requirement from everyone posting.

Crowds and cash flow will only improve if results and game play keep people interested - 23 x 1-0 wins would satisfy Arsene Wenger in his early days, but look at the style he has tried to put into his current teams, likewise with Brendan Rodgers - games to get the blood flowing, exciting to watch, terrifying if the results go wrong, but always worth talking about in regard to adventurous play and skill - should be at the wages given out.

We have to adopt a fifth tier expectation, but at the top of that tier for this season.

Hurst must produce a side that gives little away but can attack at speed when all of the squad is fit and available. we do still need to be somewhere around the top five places by lucky wins and grabbed points , assuming the style of play remains the same, but at Xmas, the judgement must be made if we are going to make the jump required to make the top spot our priority.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
MeanwoodMariner
August 20, 2014, 9:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to say the Fishy has got too negative. Or are we now saying anyone who criticises anything is having a tantrum?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
ackomariner
August 20, 2014, 9:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to say the Fishy has got too negative. Or are we now saying anyone who criticises anything is having a tantrum?

Just don't need to tell people that your not posting anymore because of people having "different opinions"

That's what a forum is all about.  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
moosey_club
August 20, 2014, 9:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from marinernige

GONE!!!!  
For someone who is bored of the fishy and the current topics on board then using tabloid tactics of a dramatic enticing headline only to reveal a bland personal statement of you are leaving because you dont like the current content is pretty ironic.

Regardless of content (well most of the time) or viewpoint i like reading other peoples opinions and i can remember there was this one time that someone actually made me think i may not be correct in my own view, on reflection i was right but it did make me think.    

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Getyourfactsright
August 20, 2014, 9:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Marinerz93

NOOO!!!! They will find something to have ago at probably me.

Go with that if were winning UTM
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Hagrid
August 20, 2014, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
we'll win saturday, got a good feeling about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
GrimRob
August 20, 2014, 10:07am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Hagrid
we'll win saturday, got a good feeling about it

It'll be like the Mary Celeste on here if we do win - nothing to moan about  .

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 37
Marinerz93
August 20, 2014, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

What's with all the kisses John, have you been on those happy pills you were talking about the other day  

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Les Brechin
August 20, 2014, 10:48am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174

Don't worry John, I'll be in a position to buy the club out soon.

I just can't believe all these long lost relatives I have living in Africa who have sadly died and all the random people who have recently chosen to trust me with their inheritance. Just added up the total of the money I'm due when I get a reply from my emails and I'm looking at inheriting over $150m.

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.    

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
mike_d
August 20, 2014, 10:57am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from supertown
Muppet

And why do you think that helps?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
mike_d
August 20, 2014, 10:58am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GrimRob

It'll be like the Mary Celeste on here if we do win - nothing to moan about  .

Not a big enough goal difference?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
FishOutOfWater
August 20, 2014, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from supertown
Muppet

Show?

[youtube]Gd68vkkY0ng[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 37
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 20, 2014, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
We got rid of Waldorf, only statler left

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 4:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Shouldn't you be saying when we're winning?  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
grimsby pete
August 20, 2014, 4:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I can understand anybody getting a bit down on all the negative posts on here lately,

BUT

If all all positive types left , the board will be full of negatives,

All will change when we win a game or two,

Do not give up yet.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Nelly GTFC
August 20, 2014, 4:28pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Show?

[youtube]Gd68vkkY0ng[/youtube]
Should play that everytime we lose and everyones moaning as they walk out lol, kinda reminds me of "Always look on the brightside of life."

"Why do we always come here?  I guess we'll never know! It's like a kind of torture to have to watch the show!"

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Getyourfactsright
August 20, 2014, 5:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
We got rid of Waldorf, only statler left

We've still got a few icebergs on the fishy though  

Floaters is the term seafarers use. Sorry Wozo couldn't resist.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
Teestogreen
August 20, 2014, 9:49pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
Could be a term applied to Grimsby's fishing industry.

Good programme on telly just now about trawlermen - (the Peterhead ones).

The loss of the fishing industry in Grimsby must have knocked the stuffing out of the town - many of us must have had relatives working at sea for a living - and not always surviving.

Coming back to port to watch the Mariners must have been what some of them lived for - creating a great atmosphere.

Politics isn't a strong point. but if we came out of the EU and had negotiations with Iceland to expand the current UK fishing industry, the UK (including) Grimsby might enjoy the same freedoms as Norway and Iceland in terms of fishing and cause a re-vitalisation to the 'heart' of the town through the 'new' fishing industry.

This could benefit the likes of GTFC - maybe.

I understand that the town has a good industry related to imported fish but, surely, it's not the same as catching your own.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gone!!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.