Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quick question.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 321 Guests

Quick question.

This thread currently has 1,778 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
mike_d
August 20, 2014, 10:55am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +375
Gold Stars: 4
For those of you who've stated "It's not the three games, it's since Christmas - Hurst should be more positive"

Quick thought - who of you thinks signing Arnold, Makreith, Pitman and resigning Neilson isn't positive action? Or do you think that Brown and Toto aren't positive signings?

These were made in the close season in response to the things going wrong that we could all see. We know that Jennings decided not to come to us. That's not a reflection on the effort of the management team; neither is Rodman going to Gateshead. Connell left it to the time that he wasn't being signed to come to us to try and put himself in the shop window; again, a player's choice, not the team. If we'd broken the bank to try and get someone there's potential repercussions in effects on our budget, or more pertinently team morale.

Has it been possible to play them all in the team yet? No, so the positive things done by Hurst cannot be evaluated yet, can they?

This is why people have stated it's only three games..

We don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, and it's easy with hindsight to second guess people.

Just an alternative viewpoint. Can I ask for constructive reasoned discussion rather than the one liners?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BrickTop
August 20, 2014, 11:14am

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
One thing I'd personally like to see from Paul is to make a substitution a bit earlier in the game, when a player is clearly not at the races or having a good day, I'd like to see a sub being made in say the 60th minute, rather than the 85th, which was often the case last season. Just my opinion of course.

UTM

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
headingly_mariner
August 20, 2014, 11:16am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from BrickTop
One thing I'd personally like to see from Paul is to make a substitution a bit earlier in the game, when a player is clearly not at the races or having a good day, I'd like to see a sub being made in say the 60th minute, rather than the 85th, which was often the case last season. Just my opinion of course.

UTM

1st sub on Saturday after about 65 minutes, he then went on to score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 20, 2014, 11:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Can we please stop with these decent reasoned arguments!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 20, 2014, 11:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Can we please stop with these decent reasoned arguments!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
friskneymariner
August 20, 2014, 11:28am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I think the close season signings have been excellent,as far as they have gone.There is still a concern re Pitman's long term fitness though.
Have to agree when he came on Saturday he gave a different dimension to the game,it also looked as he and LJL had an understanding and it is maybe what he needs to bring the best out of him.
To be fair to LJL there are dual expectations of him
a)to be a target man where he is for the majority of the time the lone player up front with his back to the goal.

b) the main goal scorer.

It maybe a is incompatible to b and Pitman is the person who needs to feed him.
Taken into account he is often helping the defence out,perhaps he is trying (or being told) to take on too many roles.

However must still be long terms concerns about Pitman playing 40 games a season(hope I am wrong).
But we are  still short of a top quality striker who can score goals.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
BrickTop
August 20, 2014, 11:29am

Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
Quoted from headingly_mariner

1st sub on Saturday after about 65 minutes, he then went on to score.

I did say the 60th Headingly, so what good is the 65th? . It was just something I noticed last season, don't know of anyone else thinks the same. I haven't managed to get to a game yet this season unfortunately, due to work commitments.

UTM

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2014, 12:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from mike_d
For those of you who've stated "It's not the three games, it's since Christmas - Hurst should be more positive"

Quick thought - who of you thinks signing Arnold, Makreith, Pitman and resigning Neilson isn't positive action? Or do you think that Brown and Toto aren't positive signings?

These were made in the close season in response to the things going wrong that we could all see. We know that Jennings decided not to come to us. That's not a reflection on the effort of the management team; neither is Rodman going to Gateshead. Connell left it to the time that he wasn't being signed to come to us to try and put himself in the shop window; again, a player's choice, not the team. If we'd broken the bank to try and get someone there's potential repercussions in effects on our budget, or more pertinently team morale.

Has it been possible to play them all in the team yet? No, so the positive things done by Hurst cannot be evaluated yet, can they?

This is why people have stated it's only three games..

We don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes, and it's easy with hindsight to second guess people.

Just an alternative viewpoint. Can I ask for constructive reasoned discussion rather than the one liners?

Are you 80s? That's five question marks I can see under the headline 'Quick question'!

To be serious, Toto for MacDonald looks like an improvement, Magnay for Hatton too. Arnold is a loan signing, Pittman seems to have a health warning round his neck and what I saw of Mackreth in the Bristol game, he looked more Colbeck than Rodman. Brown clearly has more to him than Kerr but likewise Clay hasn't got the ability that Thanoj had when he cared to use it.

It's been posted on other threads - PH clearly has an eye for a defender but none of his attacking signings appear to have worked. We are defensively sound but haven't scored enough goals.

I think the other thing that grates is 'the hairs on the back of y/your neck' quote - nothing that's happened since that quote (remember we'd already signed Brown, Toto and Mackreth) has inspired me at all.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
oldun
August 20, 2014, 12:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Of course we hope Pittman can regain full and lasting fitness, if so he will definitely score and set up goals. Furthermore the key player for me who we have yet to seen is Nathan Arnold, he has good pace and can both set up chances and score himself. Much for us to look forward to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
Abdul19
August 20, 2014, 12:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Arnold may well be a loan signing, but I don't see any difference in signing a player on a year long loan and signing a player on a year long contract. (if they can't recall him in Jan)

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us, always impressed me in the past.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Quick question.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.