Getyourfactsright
August 21, 2014, 6:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from grimps

Comparing Buckleys win ratio it forgets to mention that he was 4 division higher  

And the last spell
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
DocTower
August 21, 2014, 7:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Looking back historically is all well and good , it's 2014  . Nostalgia could be more harmful , looking and knowing what we had . Just wondering , being 60+  does it hurt me more than say someone who's 25/30 who hasn't seen or known the good times ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 21, 2014, 11:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
At least we have those memories Doc, these youngsters dont.
I remember when I was young in the 60s and 70s older friends and relatives going on about their heroes and Town in then div 2 (now championship). These were back in the dark days of Bobby Kennedy, before Lawrie.   Thank God for John Newman, George Kerr and Alan Buckley eh

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 21, 2014, 11:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
First three games of 71/72 we scored 4 in each, won all three 2 in league and one in League cup and won the league!!!

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
DocTower
August 21, 2014, 12:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
I remember when I was young in the 60s and 70s older friends and relatives going on about their heroes and Town in then div 2 (now championship). These were back in the dark days of Bobby Kennedy, before Lawrie.   Thank God for John Newman, George Kerr and Alan Buckley eh

These are the memories that can never be taken away from you or me . My cousin removing his white bed sheet and  painting "Champions of division 4" during the short Lawrie era . Getting the biggest clout from his mum .

Our first trip to Wembley , never believing I would ever see town grace the hallowed turf  . My friend saying , " Now I can die a happy man to have seen us there and win "

The years in the championship beating teams with beautiful football  . Nearly in tears now just thinking about it . I just hope we can get out of this pit of dispair before I get called up to the big main stand in the sky .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
DocTower
August 21, 2014, 12:13pm
Cocktail Drinker

Was wondering what my first match was with my dad . The first I really remember was mid 60's against Hull and Ken Wagstaff was playing . Odd these memories .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
rancido
August 21, 2014, 8:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from DocTower

Was wondering what my first match was with my dad . The first I really remember was mid 60's against Hull and Ken Wagstaff was playing . Odd these memories .

That's the season I started watching town. The highlight to me was watching us beat Hull at BP 1-0 and the draw with West Ham.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
Rick12
August 21, 2014, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GrimRob
We had 4 points from 3 games last season and got to the play-offs
We had 2 points from 3 games the season before and got to the play-offs

The number of points after 3 games in the previous 8 years were: 1,4,0,4,3,3,4,4

Some of those seasons we did reasonably well and ended in the top half, some of them we either got relegated or nearly got relegated.

The point is that the points total after 3 games has not provided a very accurate guideline as to how the season would go. The only general trend seems to be that we always start quite poorly, whoever the manager is.
Hope your right Rob.Iam an optimist so feel we will make the play offs and hopefully more come May

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
KingstonMariner
August 21, 2014, 10:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
We had 4 points from 3 games last season and got to the play-offs
We had 2 points from 3 games the season before and got to the play-offs

The number of points after 3 games in the previous 8 years were: 1,4,0,4,3,3,4,4

Some of those seasons we did reasonably well and ended in the top half, some of them we either got relegated or nearly got relegated.

The point is that the points total after 3 games has not provided a very accurate guideline as to how the season would go. The only general trend seems to be that we always start quite poorly, whoever the manager is.

Proves nothing Rob. As someone else pointed out, seasons we went up (bar 97- we had more points from early games.

The last 10 seasons ALL ended in failure IN LOW DIVISIONS.

5: stuck in tier 4 (last one by the skin of or teeth cos Luton got docked 30 points)
1: relegated from tier 4
4: stuck in tier 5

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
friskneymariner
August 21, 2014, 11:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
The point is we have dropped 4 points from games against poor opposition,games that any promotion contenders would be expected to win,those four points may prove to be very costly at the end of the season,and could be the the difference between automatic promotion and a play off place.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › After 3 games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.