August 20, 2014, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from 120797

Can you elaborate here ?

Not trying to pick you apart, just genuinely interested cos I don't remember.

Terrible left foot, not technically gifted at all & bad attitude are the things that stood out. There was more, though i'm not sure if I could manage to find the actual recording.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
headingly_mariner
August 20, 2014, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pontoonlew

Terrible left foot, not technically gifted at all & bad attitude are the things that stood out. There was more, though i'm not sure if I could manage to find the actual recording.

I think that is a massive exaggeration, I'm sure he said he was surprised where he had ended up and didn't think he was technically gifted.

For the record I think it was a crime to let him go and it comes down to the offer made to him by the club, he had already demonstrated at 18 that he was more than capable of playing at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
August 20, 2014, 6:27pm
Guest User
FWIW I'm guessing we should have kept him too.
In any case what you CAN say for sure is central defenders don't appear to be a major problem right now.
Reply: 13 - 22
aldi_01
August 20, 2014, 6:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Has our back four improved since he left?? Simple answer is yes.

There seems to be a huge obsession with players that are no longer with us than the ones that are here at present.

Move on, the lads got a club, he's earning a wage and he may get in their first team at some point. More likely after this season when they've been relegated...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
HackneyHaddock
August 20, 2014, 10:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Good for him.  I remember PH being asked about him in the fans' forum (I think the question was about whether we could get some sort of payment for him) and I thought his response, questioning his technique and doubting his ability, was chippy, bitter and lacking in class.  It was embarrassing to listen to something like that coming out of the football club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
gtfc82
August 21, 2014, 8:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from aldi_01
Has our back four improved since he left?? Simple answer is yes.

Thank you aldi_01 for bringing some sense into the thread! I'anson is not IMHO big enough or strong enough to cope with the strikers in the Conference! He reminds me of Simon Ramsden! He had similar issues when we were in League Two!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Rick12
August 21, 2014, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Good to see a bit of press coverage to one of our former players

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
KingstonMariner
August 21, 2014, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from oldun
My god, we would rather support players who are no longer here than get behind those that are. Good luck to him but he is not relevant to the present squad and will have no effect on our efforts to get promotion.

He isn't relevant but one of the people who thought he wasn't good enough is highly relevant.

Even I could tell he was a talent worth keeping.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
HackneyHaddock
August 21, 2014, 11:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
No point saying "we should have kept him", or for that matter "should have kept Cameron Jerome" or "Should have kept Ryan Bennett" or "Should have kept John Oster".  Quality players will move on.

Maybe his football style was more suited to Spain than Conference Hoofball.  This is part of the reason we have this conversation every two years about why England don't produce decent technical footballers: "Not strong enough", "Needs to fill out/beef up", "Too fancy".

No-one's messed up or done anything wrong.  He moved on, developing his game in one of the top leagues in the world, and he's done well.  I really hope he gets back into La Liga soon and that more young English players try their hand abroad (although Spain isn't really abroad for I'Anson!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charlie I'Anson On BBC Football website

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.