Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another perspective from abroad.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

Another perspective from abroad.

This thread currently has 2,337 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
geir
August 20, 2014, 4:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
In regard to the discussion on this board and among the fans, I think that it may be quite interesting to compare the goings on in Grimsby with my home-town club Rosenborg in Norway. Actually, I think there are some similarities that would be of interest.

Where Grimsby had a lot of success some years ago with Alan Buckley - the Buckley of Rosenborg is named Nils Arne Eggen. Several years ago he not only took Rosenborg to the Champions League, but he also won the Norwegian League 13 seasons in a row with the club.
After he decided to retire from the club - there has been an endless line of managers going in and out of the club, in fact there have been 11 managers since 2002. In that period of time there have been little international success, but some domestic results have been reasonably good.

Why have the managers left the club? Mostly because the fans are very demanding. After a long period of success, people will not tolerate anything else. And the trouble is - it is not enough to win the league, they have to do it in a way that is pleasing for the eye. Free-flowing attacking football is what people crave. With lots of goals.
The problem is - football have changed since 2002. The other teams have developed their style, and it is not so easy to play the football that people are "used" to. They may not even have the players for it.
In 2004 the manager at the time won the Norwegian League, but got fired because he didn`t win it convincingly enough. It wasn`t enough to the win the league on goal difference when you are used to win it at least 15 points ahead of the next team. He also got the club through to the group stage of the Champions league. No - I am not making this up. It is true. Because of fan pressure on the board.
In October 2007 - another manager got fired the day after he led the team to a 2-0 win over Valencia at home. Reason? The results in the league were not good enough. Rosenborg ended up as number 5 that season. A good result considering other circumstances. Fan pressure on the board.
The current manager of the Swedish National team, Erik Hamrèn, took over as manager for the club in the summer of 2008 and had a very successful period at the club - winning the league in 2009 and 2010. He wasn`t fired, but have recently said this about his time at the club: "It was like I was to blame if it rained in Trondheim". "Everything was wrong. The football was too boring. I was to blame for less people at the matches and for players not evolving. If we won, we didn`t score enough goals. If we didn`t win, it wasn`t good enough, and if we won huge - we didn`t score enough goals in the first half of the game."
Hamrèn lost once in the league over two seasons, but were constantly critisised for not playing "attractive enough" football.

Rosenborg recently fired yet another manager - when they were around third/fourth place in the league after half a season. The reason is yet again - for not playing the attractive football that the fans would like.
So where are we now?
Yes - we have had some degree of success in this period, winning the league five times since 2002, but there have been endless moaning from the fans over the style of football being played. So, in a way, the strategy of constantly firing managers will sometimes get you the results, but people are still unhappy.

So - considering where Grimsby Town are at the moment, the dreaded Conference, where most of the players lack almost as much technical ability as the Norwegian national team, is it reasonable to think that the "boring" football that Hurst presumably plays will get us out of this league at one time?
Or is the solution to do like Rosenborg?

Or is the problem something entirely else?

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
pontoonlew
August 20, 2014, 5:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,812
Gold Stars: 167
I'd say it's not the right comparison because we didn't win 13 league titles or play in the Champions League. I don't think we're 'too demanding' at all, too demanding would be wanting to win league 1 perhaps. Wanting to score a few goals and get into the play-offs in the 5th tier of English football isn't demanding for a club of our size, in fact I think it's a minor miracle we're all still so relatively calm about it  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Abdul19
August 20, 2014, 5:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,496
Gold Stars: 215
Geir, how good is that 15 year old who's going to get called up for the national team?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
grimsby pete
August 20, 2014, 6:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,778
Gold Stars: 221
The problem is Geir ,Paul Hurst has a plan to get us out of this league,

It does not include playing attractive attacking football,

BUT

Does that matter as long as we get out of this conference shite,

As long as we get promoted I do not care how we do it,

Once we are back in the football league we can go out and play attractive football.

Lets just get there first.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Marinerz93
August 20, 2014, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Excellent post geir but it only highlights how much more fickle most Rosenborg fans are compared to us.  We haven't won anything in over a decade and we have been watching some of the worse players go through our club since the club was formed over 136 years ago.  As you have rightly identified we are playing at our lowest level and not pulling up any trees at that.

The problem has been;
not bringing in the right personnel for pre season,
for dropping players who have performed very well and putting a player in his position who struggles to play there,
not getting certain players coaching over the summer break to make them better,
for issuing pre match statements that are negative and turning fans away,
for negative, too defensive football
players apologising on social media for poor performances

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
August 20, 2014, 7:00pm
Guest User
Some fair and good comments in there Marinerz.

I won't sound like a cracked record or be picky, but bit confused about the 1st and 3rds ones.

As for the rest if you add them all up, are we expecting perfection, mistakes never to happen or perhaps just maybe too much ?
Just wondering...
Reply: 5 - 17
Marinerz93
August 20, 2014, 7:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 120797
Some fair and good comments in there Marinerz.

I won't sound like a cracked record or be picky, but bit confused about the 1st and 3rds ones.

As for the rest if you add them all up, are we expecting perfection, mistakes never to happen or perhaps just maybe too much ?
Just wondering...

Thanks 80's,
1st  - not bringing in the right personnel for pre season; This has been were we have been very slow for years, we knew what players we needed to strengthen the squad in February.  These players should have been targeted before, even if it meant paying a fee.  The reason why we are always slow to start is because we are used to waiting for the scraps.  I am aware that certain agents can fudge things up, the early bird catches the worm so to speak.  Now we are waiting for players to gel because they haven't played together in a competitive match.

3rd - not getting certain players coaching over the summer break to make them better; players that have ability are worth investing in, players who you deem an integral part of your team need any weak areas addressing.  One or two current players come under that category and yes LJL would be one of them.  He works hard and deserves investing in, some players only grow with the right mentor.

We will never get perfection but the same mistakes over and over again are costing us promotion points.  If you seriously want to get out of this league you have to beat the weaker teams, especially at home.

We know BP can be a fortress and intimidating for visiting teams, we have had the stuffing knocked out of us for years now with very little to get us going.  The players need to realise the sort of backing they can get, the sort of noise we can create for them, they just need to deliver winning performances, especially at home.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
LondonMariner43
August 20, 2014, 8:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
An interesting perspective.

I've supported Town for about 35 years and we've always moaned.  I used to stand in the Constitutional Avene corner as a boy and the old blokes moaned even when Dave Booth took us within a whisper of division one.

In the Buckley era we were too fancy, never scored enough goals and the boo boys shouted 'Shoot' accompanied with swearwords of choice when Rees and Woods made pretty triangles outside the box.

Then when Russell Slade almost took us back up, we were too direct and didn't play enough pretty football. I also think some fans thought we were too good for Slade - who was he to manage Town?  He went on to greater things and we went down.

I don't know if Town fans are unique though.  I sometimes take my son to watch his team (Chelsea).  In recent years they have sacked managers for winning the league but not winning the Champions league or for winning the Champions league but being too boring.  This is a team that we used to play in the 2nd tier but now their fans are unhappy if they don't win everything and win in style.

All football fans are fickle moaners and we are no different.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Maringer
August 20, 2014, 9:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,368
Gold Stars: 183
Quoted from LondonMariner43

All football fans are fickle moaners and we are no different.

Yep. Geir's post is a great example of the lack of common sense shown by footy fans the world over.

A few years ago, we used to mock 'Massive' Wednesday fans for their arrogance and belief they were too good for the League they found themselves in. Now, we have some berating the players and management for not getting us out of what is described as a 'tin pot' League and for failing to beat part-time teams who have worked hard to lift themselves into the Conference. 180 degree role reversal.

Ach. I've wasted too much time on the current nonsense on the board this week. How embarrassing.

Let's hope we've got something to celebrate come Saturday evening. If not then, a victory on Monday would be nice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
geir
August 20, 2014, 9:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Abdul19
Geir, how good is that 15 year old who's going to get called up for the national team?

You mean Martin Ødegaard. He is one of a kind. He is technically brilliant and has a very strong body compared to most 15-year olds.
He has the possibility of being one of the best players from Norway ever. Only time will tell.

Here is a video showing some of his skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8d1yoqryTU

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another perspective from abroad.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.