Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another perspective from abroad.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 215 Guests

Another perspective from abroad.

This thread currently has 2,353 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
ackomariner
August 20, 2014, 10:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from geir

You mean Martin Ødegaard. He is one of a kind. He is technically brilliant and has a very strong body compared to most 15-year olds.
He has the possibility of being one of the best players from Norway ever. Only time will tell.

Here is a video showing some of his skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8d1yoqryTU

Good player you've got there for someone so young. If there good enough, play em.....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Abdul19
August 20, 2014, 10:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from geir

You mean Martin Ødegaard. He is one of a kind. He is technically brilliant and has a very strong body compared to most 15-year olds.
He has the possibility of being one of the best players from Norway ever. Only time will tell.

Here is a video showing some of his skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8d1yoqryTU

Good stuff, thanks Geir. Looks a real prospect, hopefully he'll stay in Norway a while longer rather than hoovered up by Chelsea or Man City.

He's not as good as Knut Anders Fostervold though

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
August 20, 2014, 11:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93
The reason why we are always slow to start is because we are used to waiting for the scraps.

True or not, you do kind of get that impression about player recruitment over the years !
Just hoping we targetted Pittman (and others returning) and they'll come up trumps.
Quoted from Marinerz93
We will never get perfection but the same mistakes over and over again are costing us promotion points.

Well if you ask me, guess what's happened is (rightly or wrongly)...
Hursty "took a point" at Bristol (see Clay coming on 88th min ?) thinking we'd be fine with 2 home games coming up.
Then Nuneaton parked the bus, players missed chances, causing disappointment and extra pressure on Dover.

Come Dover (their players and fans really "up for it" after 2 losses), the general vibe in the stands was fairly glum.
Not blaming the fans here at all but obviously it doesn't help (yet were still arguably unlucky & worthy of the win)

See how the downward cycle might happen if your lucks out ?
Quoted from Marinerz93
We know BP can be a fortress and intimidating for visiting teams

Completely agree it's where we need to be (or close as we can !)
Quoted from Marinerz93
we have had the stuffing knocked out of us for years now with very little to get us going.

Again, completely understand fans need something to feed off. (or maybe they actually don't but it sure helps !)  
All I'd say is, other teams often defend like mad.
That's why I don't generally buy the "negative football" thing at home last game - generally it's THEM not us !

So it's not easy (and mngr/players need to step up) but equally fans need to do all they can to raise their game too.
You've only got to look at the away support to see how it can be done.
Where are they when we need them ?  
That said, I'm a hippocrite - I sit in the Upper for a better view.
Hats off to the ponny lot though !
Don't know the practicalities but how about this suggestion of moving to the Osmond ?
Quoted from Marinerz93
The players need to realise the sort of backing they can get, the sort of noise we can create for them, they just need to deliver winning performances, especially at home.

Completely agree !!!
As Scunny and Huddersfield show we can almost beat anyone when everyone is up for it.  

Trouble now is, it's all a bit chicken and egg isn't it ?

Players certainly need to buckle down on Monday and grow an extra pair leaving no stone unturned there's no doubt !

Equally if fans really want the best chance of success, at some point (hopefully now !) they've got to recognize there's danger of a downward spiral (whoever is at fault) and do all they can to HELP inspire the players.

Like I said I'm a hippocrite playing football manager in the Upper.
But if I didn't have people I went with and the mood WAS dire, I'd be moving to the ponny in a flash making as much racket as I could.

Not really trying to knock or defend any moans and groans in the Upper here...
But if it bothers those fans I strongly suggest they move to the ponny and let rip !  
Reply: 12 - 17
Marinerz93
August 20, 2014, 11:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 120797

Players certainly need to buckle down on Monday and grow an extra pair leaving no stone unturned there's no doubt !

Equally if fans really want the best chance of success, at some point (hopefully now !) they've got to recognize there's danger of a downward spiral (whoever is at fault) and do all they can to HELP inspire the players.

Like I said I'm a hippocrite playing football manager in the Upper.
But if I didn't have people I went with and the mood WAS dire, I'd be moving to the ponny in a flash making as much racket as I could.

Not really trying to knock or defend any moans and groans in the Upper here...
But if it bothers those fans I strongly suggest they move to the ponny and let rip !  

Some good points in your post 80's and I firmly believe the sooner we start winning and, winning consecutively the sooner a large part of our fan base can get out of this rut we seem to be in.  This is were the players step up as you rightly say and play their part.

You've almost got me positive  

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/15f5gtg.gif[/IMG]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
August 21, 2014, 12:29am
Guest User
Good lad !  

Who knows what gonna happen Marinerz, I certainly don't.  
But I do take some minor comfort we've bounced back when the moods looked doom and gloom during the season before.

End of the day the major responsibility lies with the manager and those out on the pitch.
Reply: 14 - 17
MeanwoodMariner
August 21, 2014, 9:38am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete

Does that matter as long as we get out of this conference shite,

As long as we get promoted I do not care how we do it,

Once we are back in the football league we can go out and play attractive football.

Lets just get there first.

I am not in the "Hurst out" group but I think this kind of thinking is seriously flawed, Pete. Just because the football is bad does't guarantee promotion. I know you haven't claimed it does but that raises the question as to why boring football becomes acceptable at all?

I do agree that promotion would make it all worthwhile but the cold reality is we will probably not get promoted this year. We will have to improve significantly to make the play offs and then have roughly just a 25% chance of success. Given that, surely the quality and excitement week to week becomes extremely important.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
Mariners_15
August 21, 2014, 10:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from geir

Nice little video, you've certainly got a player on your hands there Geir!

As someone else said 'if they're good enough, play em'. Youngsters need the chance if they're good enough or you'll never know...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
geir
August 22, 2014, 4:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mariners_15

Nice little video, you've certainly got a player on your hands there Geir!

As someone else said 'if they're good enough, play em'. Youngsters need the chance if they're good enough or you'll never know...

Totally agree with this. And even if the youngsters may not be "complete" players, they have a drive and desire that many of the older players lack and that compensates for any possible short-comings in other areas.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another perspective from abroad.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.