7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 26, 2014, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
For me, Paul Hurst has made two massive decisions in the last week.

1. He decides to put the club captain on the bench. Now I'm not the only who has suspected that Diz has not been at his best but he did always seem to be a bit bullet proof in the managers eyes.

2. The more important decision. He has set up a team to play the way he wants to play rather than set up to counteract the opposition. I know that Doig said pre-Gateshead that they had a plan for Gateshead but it still seems a much more positive way of playing.

Full credit to whoever formulated the plan - let's hope more teams worry about us rather than the other way round,
Private Message
Maringer
August 26, 2014, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I'd tend to doubt there is any real difference in the approach to each game. As a manager, Hurst is always going to set up his team to nullify the opponents' strengths and try to hit their weaknesses. What is different is that Neilson (probably our best attacker) has returned from suspension in some good form and also Pittman is now fit enough to start games and has linked up well with LJL.

The addition of just a couple of good players can make an enormous difference to a team's performances as has been seen in the past 2 games.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
jonnyboy82
August 26, 2014, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Its only 2 games lets remember....

We played very well but its the next game now what counts and all this will be for nothing if we dont do the buisness at aldershot.

I remember when we thrashed mansfield and histon over a bank holiday and we remember how that turned out.

Full credit to hurst and the team but lets not get carried away hey.

GTFC
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
TownSNAFU5
August 26, 2014, 4:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Connell was also dropped to the bench (besides Disley).

He stuck with Shop and Clay, despite a lot of criticism.

Pittman became fit (forming a good partnership with Shop)

Neilson came back from suspension.

Hurst played 3 good CBs in defence.

Overall, Hurst kept his nerve, despite starting the season with severely weakened teams.  He brought in some very good players (some good with hindsight) and made excellent selection decisions.  He had the courage to be more adventurous at Gateshead and got his results. He should take all the plaudits due to him after 5 games. A long way to go.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
pontoonlew
August 26, 2014, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
I think he just did what many of us were crying out for, an entertaining brand of football. Not only does that draw in the crowds, it wins games if you've got the players to do it which we have. I know people were happy with 1-0 wins but at some point as we saw all too often, you come unstuck. We can still have that gritty performance in our locker but it looks like we've finally decided to play our way and not somebody elses.

Whether or not that was always the plan or he sort of forced it upon himself we'll probably never know. But the fact is that it's worked wonders the last two games and has boosted the confidence of every single person at the club.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 26, 2014, 6:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I have been a critic of PH for his tactics in the past but there has clearly been a change in thinking in the last 2 games. Last year's Hurst would have sent out a team at Gateshead to defend deep and play on the break leaving LJL isolated up front. Even playing Neilson and Pittman would not have changed that because he would have withdrawn them to support the full backs. We would have been moaning on here about the huge gap in midfield.

It may be a sign that he has got the message about being proactive and if he wants a quick passing game he has to have a pressing game too. He's not quite got the pressing part right yet but I hope he sticks with it. Let the others worry about us while we out run and out pass them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
August 26, 2014, 6:39pm
Guest User
Suppose we can debate what Hurst is, was or has been thinking all day long.

Whatever the reasons (and there's been a LOT of mitigating circumstances IMO), we've seen more energetic (and perhaps positive depending on your own definition) football from the off last 2 games.

Whether you can always do that every game in regard to the oppositions tactics or a long tough season is another matter I'd guess.

All I really know is we've hit 2 teams with energy and pace (sometimes on the counter), haven't taken our foot off the gas to coast or protect leads when ahead (not that Hurst didn't v Dover either tbf) and it's all ended up with 2 rivals getting whooped and been truly magnificent.

BP yesterday reminded me of yesteryear when we used to overraw (even the best !) teams here using the crowd to our advantage.
As long as the fans can try to emulate the positivity of the football they'd ideally like to see through the bumpier and trickier times, I firmly believe (and have always believed) the magic has always been there and we're a club with massive potential and can beat almost anyone on our day.

Being realistic about the past too though, it didn't always happen.  
Not that I guess will it every game in the future either (we can but hope !)
Just think the combination of good football and positive fans (especially at BP) are often the key to something very special indeed.
Reply: 6 - 60
MeanwoodMariner
August 26, 2014, 6:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from pontoonlew

Whether or not that was always the plan or he sort of forced it upon himself we'll probably never know. But the fact is that it's worked wonders the last two games and has boosted the confidence of every single person at the club.

I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that this was the plan. It's difficult putting a good squad together and I don't believe it just fell in to place by itself.

I think it's virtually the same as with any job, it usually takes a lot of unseen hard work to make it look easy/lucky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
August 26, 2014, 6:58pm
Guest User
Let the others worry about us while we out run and out pass them.

Suppose that's fine in open games, perhaps another challenge may be when faced with teams who park the bus or defend in numbers.

Other skills are perhaps required here.
To keep possession around the box and be creative unlocking teams in the process.
Confident it's possible and do-able though.

Also without wanting to sound downbeat about yesterday in any way, shape or form, the drive and energy on display was perhaps to the detriment of the final ball or shot on 1 or 2 occasions.
In short, noticed we were too eager for our own good once or twice when a little more composure might have been better.
Reply: 8 - 60
August 26, 2014, 7:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I remember when we thrashed mansfield and histon over a bank holiday and we remember how that turned out.

Fair enough but equally (without having a dig at anyone or their views at all) could say I remember 0-0, 0-0, 1-1, calls for the manager to be sacked, then going on to win 6-1 and 7-0.

Won't mention the dreaded P & N words, just saying perhaps it depends which bits of "the past" you want to take.
Personally I'm not a huge believer in stats as an indicator to the future anyway.

Quoted from jonnyboy82
all this will be for nothing if we dont do the buisness at aldershot.

6 point is 6 points to the total.
I'm very positive about winning at Aldershot but being realistic too, we're not gonna win every remaining game so would argue we shouldn't be itching to point the finger or say it's all gone t1ts up if we don't.
Reply: 9 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest positives

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.