2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
August 26, 2014, 7:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,117
Gold Stars: 131
Something that I was wondering in these two games is that what happens to our back four when Aswad returns? Personally watching Magnay I definitely prefer him at Left Back. I'd keep the same back four personally with Toto right back. Anyone else?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
cjbill
August 26, 2014, 8:20pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
I wouldn't change it based one the way the back four have been playing as long as we keep Boyce. It is going to be very difficult for Aswad to get back in the team.

At first I wouldn't have been too fussed at Boyce going back with us having Toto there ready and waiting but now and the way the back four have been playing I really hope we keep Boyce a lot longer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
StiggsGTFC
August 26, 2014, 8:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Think we need to see a couple more games against better opposition before we decide on the best back four.

Gateshead was a funny game, they could easily had 4 or 5 themselves....

I do agree about Boyce though, he looks a class above this level. Be great to get him on a season loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
August 26, 2014, 8:46pm
Guest User
Fully fit Thomas for me almost every time.
Whatever you think of Magnay whenever a right footer plays left side it's never ideal.
If Hurst was considering getting in a loan LB maybe it suggests he had concerns there too.
Reply: 3 - 12
pizzzza
August 26, 2014, 8:46pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Call me old fashioned but as much as I like Magnay I do like my left backs to be of the left footed persuasion. Hope Aswad is back asap.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
chaos33
August 26, 2014, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I've got really contrasting views on Thomas but on balancce I'd like him back at left back and I really like Magnay as right back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
August 26, 2014, 9:17pm
Guest User
I think Thomas has better attacking qualities and Magnay better defensive ones.
Reply: 6 - 12
Maringer
August 26, 2014, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,488
Gold Stars: 185
Thomas has great pace and strength which is a real asset Also, an excellent cross on him which could prove useful if we're able to get him further up the field more often this season. His weakness is that he is a bit 'clumsy' so to speak and on occasion gets himself into bad defensive positions.

When fit, I'd tend to expect that he would be first choice in the team and the balance of having a left-footer on the left is very helpful.

I feared the worst when he got injured but, thankfully, it seems our current batch of defenders are capable enough to cover all the defensive areas so hopefully we won't see any further injuries at the back for a while.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
chaos33
August 26, 2014, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from 120797
I think Thomas has better attacking qualities and Magnay better defensive ones.

Yeah I totally agree, although I do think Magnay did look good going forward against Nuneaton in that right wing back role. He's probably a steadier all round player than Thomas, and he's got better technique, but Thomas has been a great supply line to forwards in the past and will be again.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Abdul19
August 26, 2014, 9:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Thomas at left back every time, but Magnay's very good backup to have. Although I suppose this would also depend on keeping Boyce (because if Pearson and Toto are at centre back, Magnay can't play both full back positions!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Back Four

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.