Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 209 Guests

Just back (to the car)

This thread currently has 3,656 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
tanga_the_indestructible
August 31, 2014, 2:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
I'm a bit puzzled by all the accusations levelled at the referee. I don't think he had any worse a game than most other officials in this league (admittedly, not terribly high in standard). LJL deserved to go. Maybe the second yellow was slightly harsh, but it looked like one of those rash challenges a player makes after being hacked down a minute earlier; a revenge challenge. He was super hyped up yesterday and I think he would've gone eventually even if the ref had been lenient for that tackle. He had already been mouthing off to the ref twice before and had had a warning before the first booking. So I can't see how anyone can really complain too much about the decision, even though it undoubtedly cost us the match.

Hurst really needs to get a lid on this dissent that seems to course through this team like the Cleethorpes in a stick of rock. Yesterday, there was McKeown and, of course, Pearson, who can't keep his trap shut. In all the years of watching football I've never once seen a referee reverse a decision based on players mouthing off, so I have no idea what any of them think they're achieving. The other thing it does is destabilise the team and the rhythm of the play.

That sense of injustice they felt on occasion yesterday needs to be channeled as it was in the Gateshead game, where it was clear they played as though still aggrieved at the play off match at the end of last season. THAT'S how you use that anger.

We lost yesterday mainly because of our indiscipline but also the fact they had a striker who knows how to shoot straight (and, it's worth noting, their own fans were calling for him to be dropped until yesterday!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
bradzmilne
August 31, 2014, 3:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
From where i was stood, the fact that LJL went in for the tackle with him already being on a yellow was barmy. Gives Hannah a chance in the team though, so potentially every cloud and all that lark. Shaun Pearson made his first major mistake in a town shirt (from my memory?) so can't really grumble about that one and i was having píss and missed the first goal so can't comment on that one ... Yes, i traveled 400 odd miles and missed a goal  
I think we'll comfortably make play offs this year, we certainly have enough about us to do that. From there, anything can happen. Any higher? I have fingers/toes/any other body part crossed but if i'm being realistic - i dont think so. UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
Maringer
August 31, 2014, 3:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,400
Gold Stars: 184
BIGChris seems to think that the referee didn't book LJL for dissent for the first one. Just a direct booking for 'persistent fouling'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
immariner
August 31, 2014, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,405
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer

The teams who have gone up as champions in recent seasons, Luton, Mansfield and Fleetwood, for example, have all ground out the results when things weren't quite going their way. We need to get into a similar groove and start getting the points by hook or by crook. Last season, we often weren't great but managed to narrowly win a number of games. With an apparently improved squad this season, we need to start doing this again if we're not playing that well but we ought to have the quality to win more of them.

They also had much larger budgets and 25-30+ man squads.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
aldi_01
August 31, 2014, 3:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
And Luton had a woeful start last year...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
UpTheMariners
August 31, 2014, 4:00pm
@Daniel_Rudd
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -6
Didn't like how some of the town fans were getting on the officials back from minute 1, before they had even made a wrong decision. The ref looked over and had a sly grin with acknowledgment. I'm not saying he's now going to go out of his way to make us lose the game but it certainly doesn't help matters. Look at it from the refs point of view if you're getting abuse from a team you're not exactly going to help them out in 50/50 situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
Mariner Ronnie
August 31, 2014, 4:17pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from aldi_01
And Luton had a woeful start last year...

champions;
2013 - 14 season luton, after 6 games W2 D3 L1 Goals for 5 against 2 points 9
2012 - 13 season mansfield after 6 games W3 D0 L3 goals for 12 against 15 points 9
2011 - 12 season fleetwood after 6 games W2 D2 L2 goals for 3 against 6 points 8

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Mariner Timsky
August 31, 2014, 4:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
So will Hannah be in for LJL v Welling? And LJL back for the Lincoln show??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Garth
August 31, 2014, 6:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
So will Hannah be in for LJL v Welling? And LJL back for the Lincoln show??

If Hannah and Pitman score four between them on Saturday No!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
louth_in_the_south
September 1, 2014, 3:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Hannah is a fringe player at best .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.