Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Southernboy
September 1, 2014, 10:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Second booking looked from where I was stood as though he pulled the player over, either way it was daft and really cost us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
pontoonlew
September 1, 2014, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Ridiculous choice to actually send him off but the way LJL was acting it almost seemed like it was coming. I get the feeling the ref just wanted to send him off and used the first available opportunity to do so. To send him off for that and change the game the way it did just ruined it, typical of refs down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
September 1, 2014, 6:23pm
Guest User
Was struck me most about the highlights was we played some really good stuff 1st half and looked unlucky not to score.
Reply: 13 - 22
Bruce Springsteen
September 1, 2014, 7:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -9
Approval: -315
John Moore

a catalogue of disasters..............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
moosey_club
September 1, 2014, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
LJL clearly sarcastically applauded the ref for the free kick for which he was eventually booked, he did exactly the same motion when he got sent off and in the background you can clearly see see Hurst ranting and pointing to the ref and mouthing something at him..several times...not a great example to set the players.

We need to learn and quick.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Teestogreen
September 1, 2014, 8:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
I've just studied those 2 Lenny incidents and come to the conclusion that the ref. wanted to send some one off. Lenny - believed his shirt was pulled for the 1st yellow card and the foul should have been his way - hence the clapping (not in the referees direction) from 20 yards. Second yellow was for an honest challenge in trying to win the ball back - he knew immediately the red card was coming - as he knew he had been targeted - and clapped again when it was produced.

This ref.  has been around for a while and doesn't usually appear to be controversial. He was criticised a couple of weeks go (12 08 14) (at Barnet) for not sending a Bristol Rovers player off (not even giving a yellow) for a red card offence. This was a mistake that needed to be repaired.

As he is Essex based, then he has now repaired / re-established his bond with southern based clubs - i.m.o.

Will be interesting to see how he fares, if he gets any other Grimsby away games in the south east this season - and if we are doing well in the league.

(Studying for a degree in referee psychology)  

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Grimal
September 1, 2014, 9:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Teestogreen
I've just studied those 2 Lenny incidents and come to the conclusion that the ref. wanted to send some one off. Lenny - believed his shirt was pulled for the 1st yellow card and the foul should have been his way - hence the clapping (not in the referees direction) from 20 yards. Second yellow was for an honest challenge in trying to win the ball back - he knew immediately the red card was coming - as he knew he had been targeted - and clapped again when it was produced.

This ref.  has been around for a while and doesn't usually appear to be controversial. He was criticised a couple of weeks go (12 08 14) (at Barnet) for not sending a Bristol Rovers player off (not even giving a yellow) for a red card offence. This was a mistake that needed to be repaired.

As he is Essex based, then he has now repaired / re-established his bond with southern based clubs - i.m.o.

Will be interesting to see how he fares, if he gets any other Grimsby away games in the south east this season - and if we are doing well in the league.

[/b](Studying for a degree in referee psychology)  
[b]

I don't think anyone in the world will ever gain a degree for that,you have more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar down Cleethorpes seafront.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
TonySmith
September 1, 2014, 9:57pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
I honestly think that any player who gets booked for something totally avoidable such as comments to the ref, sarcastic clapping, celebrating in the crowd,or waving his shirt over his head, and then gets sent off for whatever reason should be fined by his club. It's irresponsible and unfair on your team mates who have to pick up the slack for your lack of self control. It's the sort of stuff that ends up costing points ( as we saw on Saturday )and can even end up costing promotion. I know players are human beings with emotions, but they are also professionals and need to see the big picture.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
headingly_mariner
September 2, 2014, 8:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TonySmith
I honestly think that any player who gets booked for something totally avoidable such as comments to the ref, sarcastic clapping, celebrating in the crowd,or waving his shirt over his head, and then gets sent off for whatever reason should be fined by his club. It's irresponsible and unfair on your team mates who have to pick up the slack for your lack of self control. It's the sort of stuff that ends up costing points ( as we saw on Saturday )and can even end up costing promotion. I know players are human beings with emotions, but they are also professionals and need to see the big picture.

But I thought it had been made clear that his first booking was for repeated infringements and not for backchat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sending off on Mariners Player

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.