TAGG
September 17, 2014, 4:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from GrimRob

I think most of the fans still have faith in the manager. A few vociferous posters on here is a tiny fraction of fans.

There are many ways to play football. If it was an indisputable fact that paying a pressing, passing game every match was the most successful
then everyone would do it. Tonight we played to suit the personnel and system on the pitch, which is what you should do IMHO. If you have bigger forwards on then it makes sense to utilise their height more. I think it's good that we can vary our style and play different ways, it keeps the opposition guessing.

Head in sand or up somewhere else if you think "most fans still have faith in the manager"
Look at the polls on her and try listening to the fans.
On the way out the ground & in the pub after Saturdays game not one voice did I hear in his support in fact most wanted him out.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

As for the rest of your post I couldn't personally agree more with the majority of it although would take issue with the view that Hurst hasn't signed enough strikers as I believe four should be adequate for any team at our level. The fact that the injuries only happened on Saturday made it very difficult for Hurst to actually get "someone in" before last night's game-as indeed he stated in yesterday's Telegraph. But that, as I'm sure you will agree, is what opinions are all about

Are we suggesting that Arnold is our 4th striker? I don't believe a strike rate of around 50 goals in nearly 300 games makes him a striker does it? That said, it's better than Lennies!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 102
cannylad68
September 17, 2014, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
To gain promotion from any league, you have to win away games against the top teams in the league.
Whilst due to circumstances, last night was a good result, statistics say that we need 3 points from these games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 17, 2014, 5:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
We also need to acknowledge that we have good players and throughout the season we will have a number of " highs" and good results/performances. Those of us who are less supportive of PH just do not believe there will be enough of these to get us out of this league.

I am always happy when we play well just wish it was more often with a more consistent set of results that return 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 7:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from TAGG

Head in sand or up somewhere else if you think "most fans still have faith in the manager"
Look at the poles on her and try listening to the fans.
On the way out the ground & in the pub after Saturdays game not one voice did I hear in his support in fact most wanted him out.

I suggest you listen next time we win....such is the fickleness of "some" fans.

Do we have any Poles on here?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

I suggest you listen next time we win....such is the fickleness of "some" fans.

Do we have any Poles on here?

No, but there's always some cracking Polish totty in Asda in Boston.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 102
oldun
September 17, 2014, 8:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from pontoonlew

Arnold's primary position isn't up front though is it? Anybody could see that 3 strikers (one with a history of injuries) wasn't going to be enough. In fact Hurst knows that himself yet has spent 3 bloody months failing to find one.

But the ones he was interested in did not want to come here. Not a lot he could do about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 102
kingster72
September 17, 2014, 8:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Quoted from cod_head_doug
if you want a straw-poll on tonights performance look no further than the 456 of us who applauded the team and manager off the pitch at the end of the game. With the exception of Paddy and Biggy, every senior player that was fit was playing, and what a shift they put in. Daft free kick and goal conceded in the first 5 minutes but the work rate after that was exceptional, as was the passing game we produced. Neilson was just class and caused them no end of problems. Clay and Brown were like terriers in midfield. We need a few players back from injury or on loan to make the difference. I think the loss of Boyce and Thomas has hit us hard. See you all at Kidderminster for another all action episode.

Yes the 456 die hards applauded the manager off the pitch, but stick with Hurst and they'll be just 456 at BP soon. 3 wins out of 10 is not good enough, a draw when we've put in a good display is not enough.  The difference between winning does not rely on injured players coming back, or loanees coming in, but Hurst going out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 102
Maringer
September 17, 2014, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are we suggesting that Arnold is our 4th striker? I don't believe a strike rate of around 50 goals in nearly 300 games makes him a striker does it? That said, it's better than Lennies!

A strike rate of 50 in 300 isn't bad for a winger - which is the position he has generally played throughout his career.

I've certainly read that he claims he can play as a striker. Whether or not this is the case remains to be seen, but you can't say a player hasn't scored enough goals to be a striker when he has mostly been playing on the wing!

When Arnold (eventually) gets fit, I reckon we may well see him playing in a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 at times (Neilsen playing in 'the hole').
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 9:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldun

But the ones he was interested in did not want to come here. Not a lot he could do about that.

Why didn't they want to come? Why is this forward thinking and ambitious club not incredibly attractive to players who can't get a game where they are?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done players and gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.