KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 5:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
two play off places, a Wembley visit in past two seasons is above par in my book.

From that comment I would draw the inference that you only started following Town when we were in the Conference. But I suspect that's not the case. Coming 4th in the 5th division and not winning the non-League Cup seems below par for our history and size.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from KingstonMariner

From that comment I would draw the inference that you only started following Town when we were in the Conference. But I suspect that's not the case. Coming 4th in the 5th division and not winning the non-League Cup seems below par for our history and size.

Abso-fricking-lutely, I will be over the moon if this is our last appearance in the FA Trophy.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from TAGG

Relentless acceptance of mediocrity doesn't help.  

So -- what's your plan then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So we just need to cough up £18 a game and wait?

My understanding was that you didn't go to matches...but in any case, is your "solution" just to complain?

If you can find little to appreciate in Town, then it's entirely your own business how you choose to manifest your support. However - to me it comes across as relentless repetitive negativity.

If you do have a good plan to turn around the club and team's fortunes,  spell it out - if it's good and achievable, you might get support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So we just need to cough up £18 a game and wait?

My understanding was that you didn't go to matches...but in any case, is your "solution" just to complain?

If you can find little to appreciate in Town, then it's entirely your own business how you choose to manifest your support. However - to me it comes across as relentless repetitive negativity.

If you do have a good plan to turn around the club and team's fortunes,  spell it out - if it's good and achievable, you might get support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from nickmariners

I do go to matches, just not till the winter months or to night games. My plan is simple and probably shared by many - appoint a manager with the nous to get us back into the league, give him a budget that will attract players with the skills to achieve said goal and clarify what the clubs financial situation is. Is the clubs debt a millstone round the neck of our future or not?

Mr Fenty has come on here and been honest enough to accept that he won't fund BP indefinitely and that a new stadium is critical to the clubs future. But will it come soon enough? Do we need to be promoted for it to happen?
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 102
TAGG
September 19, 2014, 10:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from nickmariners

So -- what's your plan then?

Its not plan its just a wish.
For people at the top and some fans alike to stop accepting mediocrity. Is that a bit clearer???????????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 102
Stevie Saunders
September 19, 2014, 11:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Kingston Mariner
You are wrong - I have been supporting GTFC since the early 1980s
I have seen some great Mariners teams punch well above their weight and loved every minute but....
My point about 'above par' is purely in relation to where we are now as a club - non-league after years of depressing decline
I accept this as the reality we are living in and so any improvement is welcome; of course I'd love to see us get promoted but we are not going to find it that easy as many teams (Luton a prime example) have proved.

Any comments I make are based purely on the 'reality' of where we have found ourselves
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 102
nickmariners
September 20, 2014, 2:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Its not plan its just a wish.
For people at the top and some fans alike to stop accepting mediocrity. Is that a bit clearer???????????

????  = !!!!!

Absolutely clear -- 1) you have no plan, and 2) you think that "some fans" cheering on a good Town result away at Halifax is "accepting mediocrity" and 3) supporting good performances and trying wring some small pleasure out of following Town somehow makes "some fans" complicit in our fall from grace.

Jaysus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 102
September 22, 2014, 7:20am
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor
This mammary for tat nonsense is getting pathetic. Grow up and accept that some posters are allowed to be critical if they want to be. It's not embarrassing or negativity in most cases - there have been a lot of well considered critiques of the squad and Hurst's shortfallings from some of the so called 'Usual Suspects'.

Nothing wrong with "well considered critiques" or constructive criticism, bring em on.
Trouble is, EVERY time the "usual suspects" complain Hurst out (with some assumed vision of a Mourinho joining), the team bounces back and proves them wrong. (often in difficult circumstances !)

Course, everyone is wrong sometimes (even Hurst).
Once, twice, 3 times fine.
10-20 on the trot ????!!!  

We've heard the phrase "rose-tints" but it's the "mud-tints" who keep getting it wrong every time.
Fact is, they have a FAR worse record in recording defeats than Hurst.
By my reckoning, the next 15 kneejerk reactions need to be correct just to break even and save face !

Not having a go (or including you), but if you were a so called "rose tint", what would YOU think if the same individuals kept saying "This is how bad it is, things will never improve" then 1/2 games later it wasn't but the same kneejerk cycle kept repeating endlessly after every "disappointment" ?  
Wouldn't you wonder if those questioning were EVER gonna start to question themselves ?
Many openly accept they are "cynical", won't be happy until Town are mathematically clear (i.e. expecting too much) or just appear like they're living in the past still carrying a chip on their shoulder.

Quoted from barralad
I suggest you listen next time we win....such is the fickleness of "some" fans.

Sad but true.

Personally I don't expect some fans to be a super-predictors or see things objectively or "in depth".
But when you point out the obvious and it won't wash, I start to wonder what their agenda is.

If we ever accept we EXPECT(!) to beat Halifax, it's a simple leap to say we should beat everyone, home and away.
And truth is, some expect us to win every game !
The perfect excuse to constantly criticize throughout the entire season...
Even if that miracle happened I'd still expect to hear how we've fallen, mismanagement over the last x years etc if we lost the first few in league 2.
I may be wrong but arrived at the sad conclusion whatever happens in future, it will never be good enough for "some".  

I notice "home form" is the next buzz term. (forget "tinkering" as Oates came straight in and scored...)
As always, it's all about expecting us to win the next game...
And every remaining one after that too = some fan expectations are unrealistically unfair and crazy.
Intentional or not, fact is there's there's no easier way to fall short, be proved right and say "I told you so !"  

For me, having NO reason to ever be cheerful or hopeful until the team gets promoted defeats the whole object of being a supporter if you can't enjoy the highs along the way.
Reply: 99 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done players and gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.