11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
September 16, 2014, 9:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 527
Full credit to the players for a battling point, could have been 3 as we know but in the circumstances we have to be happy! All us fans should we be saying a big well done! Onwards and upwards to saturday, the key now, more than ever! CONSISTENCY
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner21
September 16, 2014, 9:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Zzzz yay well done lads!!!!!!! FFS did you go? We was garbage most of the time. Yeah we huffed and puffed but it's not good enough. Why the intercourse do we keep accepting failure?? PH is inconsistent. His managerial reign has proved this and I can't see it changing.

Ouch ouch wants that pain in my ear???? Oh Paul is on the radio!!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 102
Hagrid
September 16, 2014, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 527
No i didnt, but jesus mate we've got a depeleted squad and we've gone away to a very tough place and by all accounts have played well? Its an opinion, and i think in this instance we should give the lads some credit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 16, 2014, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Hagrid
Full credit to the players for a battling point, could have been 3 as we know but in the circumstances we have to be happy! All us fans should we be saying a big well done! Onwards and upwards to saturday, the key now, more than ever! CONSISTENCY

Given the start we made I agree with you totally Hagrid

Can't rest on our laurels of course but a good solid point tonight

It'll make my night cap a bit more bearable - not quite a celebration but at least I won't be drowning my sorrows which could have been on the cards if we'd failed to turn up tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 102
gtfc98
September 16, 2014, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Mariner21
Zzzz yay well done lads!!!!!!! FFS did you go? We was garbage most of the time. Yeah we huffed and puffed but it's not good enough. Why the intercourse do we keep accepting failure?? PH is inconsistent. His managerial reign has proved this and I can't see it changing.

Ouch ouch wants that pain in my ear???? Oh Paul is on the radio!!

Good point with only 1 fit striker

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 102
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 16, 2014, 10:00pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Gained a point on Barnet too down to 9 points utm

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 16, 2014, 10:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Its a point at halifax which leaves us 14th in the league..

Lets keep it in perspective, hardly champagne popping.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 102
Nelly GTFC
September 16, 2014, 10:02pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Gained a point on Barnet too down to 9 points utm
That team that owned us in the first half on Saturday won yet again though.

4 points out of 15, if we get a draw on Saturday everyone will be going mad at how well we are doing still... 5 out of 18.... relegation form.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 16, 2014, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

13th Jonny - keep up!  

And until tonight Halifax hadn't dropped a point at home so not all bad this evening eh?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 102
RichMariner
September 16, 2014, 10:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Given the way the game started, that was probably a point earned rather than two dropped.

Although, having said that, I think tonight's game summed up our season so far - looked great in parts but didn't score during our best spells, and then creaked at the back when the opposition had a go.

Also, if Scott Neilson doesn't perform, the whole team doesn't perform. It's been like this since he joined the club. He tails off after Christmas, as does the whole team because, like Halifax did in the second half, the opposition realise he's the one they should mark out of the game.

We need a plan B when Neilson is subdued.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2014, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
It's a good point all things considered but the fact we are celebrating a point at Halifax just emphasises how far we have fallen under this regime.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 102
ginnywings
September 16, 2014, 10:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jonnyboy82

13th. Gone above Lincoln on goal difference. which is something. A very small something but hey ho!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 102
denni266
September 16, 2014, 10:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
good point tonight. played well and dominated  a lot of the time acording to commentary . so well played lads.   but like jonnyboy said, its not champers time by a long way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 16, 2014, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266
good point tonight. played well and dominated  a lot of the time acording to commentary . so well played lads.   but like jonnyboy said, its not champers time by a long way.

Maybe it's not but I'll be having a wee dram before I head off to the land of nod and it's going to be all the better for us having picked up a point

Cheers everyone.....so much better than jeers every time!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 102
chicaneuk
September 16, 2014, 10:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Have been out all evening in a mobile phone blackspot, so just raced up to the computer to check the score. Was extremely relieved to see we fought back from a goal behind tonight to take a point. I think given the position of Halifax at the moment, I would have gladly settled for a point so I'm glad that's what we managed. UTM.

Quoted from MuddyWaters
It's a good point all things considered but the fact we are celebrating a point at Halifax just emphasises how far we have fallen under this regime.

I don't understand comments like these. Halifax are up there in the play-offs. It may be because I'm not a life long football fan but I simply don't see the histories of teams (be they long and illustrious, or short and average) as meaning anything - at the end of the day, all it comes down to the fact we're in the same league, and they're doing better than us. This 'regime' is different to the one that got us here and now we're trying to get out of it. This 'regime' is doing no worse than those that have come before it in the last couple of years. In fact this 'regime' got us further last season than we've gotten in several years.

So I'd argue we haven't fallen under this 'regime' -  we just haven't gone anywhere better. Yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 102
Bruce Springsteen
September 16, 2014, 10:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -9
Approval: -315
people on here happy with a point, ffs the season's over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 102
Harry Haddock
September 16, 2014, 10:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Who said anything about champagne or celebrating ? We're just saying, to get a point away at Halifax is a good achievement

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 102
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2014, 10:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm not getting the bunting out just yet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 102
Harry Haddock
September 16, 2014, 10:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen
people on here happy with a point, ffs the season's over

I take it we wont be seeing you on here until next season then ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 102
Nelly GTFC
September 16, 2014, 10:30pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Can anyone remember what system Halifax played against us when they thrashed us last season there?

EDIT:  Nevermind found it, 4-5-1

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 102
LH
September 16, 2014, 10:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
"Boo we're excrement and won't get anything out of tonight!"

"Boo! A points not good enough we're excrement!"
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 10:48pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
The players gave everything and they played to the strengths of the people on the pitch. Halifax were going to win everything in the air so Town had to pass the ball and they did so superbly on occasions with Neilson at the heart of everything. There was no way that was a team who have lost faith in the manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2014, 11:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,647
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob
The players gave everything and they played to the strengths of the people on the pitch. Halifax were going to win everything in the air so Town had to pass the ball and they did so superbly on occasions with Neilson at the heart of everything. There was no way that was a team who have lost faith in the manager.

Rob its not the players who have lost faith but many of us fans. A good result tonight and interesting point on another thread that if some golden chances had been taken, including tonight, how different things may look. From feedback tonight it appears we had the most success when we played it on the floor and that is the style, supported by the briefly seen pressing game, that will bring us success. I would like to see Pitman and Arnold down the centre playing this style but said after the Dover game that I did not think PH would ever go down that route and still not convinced.

The missed chances, although shared amongst a number of players, highlights our need for that quality striker that has eluded us since Hearn's injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 102
Fcukthescunts
September 16, 2014, 11:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Went tonight (my first game of season) honestly thought we were better team although they looked more likely to score our defence looked shaky at time then solid the next. I am not totally convinced on Hurst but if we play like that we will be up there but all about consistency now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:08pm

Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Rob its not the players who have lost faith but many of us fans. A good result tonight and interesting point on another thread that if some golden chances had been taken, including tonight, how different things may look. From feedback tonight it appears we had the most success when we played it on the floor and that is the style, supported by the briefly seen pressing game, that will bring us success. I would like to see Pitman and Arnold down the centre playing this style but said after the Dover game that I did not think PH would ever go down that route and still not convinced.

The missed chances, although shared amongst a number of players, highlights our need for that quality striker that has eluded us since Hearn's injury.

I think most of the fans still have faith in the manager. A few vociferous posters on here is a tiny fraction of fans.

There are many ways to play football. If it was an indisputable fact that paying a pressing, passing game every match was the most successful
then everyone would do it. Tonight we played to suit the personnel and system on the pitch, which is what you should do IMHO. If you have bigger forwards on then it makes sense to utilise their height more. I think it's good that we can vary our style and play different ways, it keeps the opposition guessing.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2014, 11:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Well I would guess that Fishy posters cover a fair cross section of our overall fan base, certainly where I sit in the upper findus he does not have a lot of support. We all want him to achieve but I just feel the inconsistency in results is the only constant in our results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 102
ginnywings
September 16, 2014, 11:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

I think most of the fans still have faith in the manager. A few vociferous posters on here is a tiny fraction of fans.

There are many ways to play football. If it was an indisputable fact that paying a pressing, passing game every match was the most successful
then everyone would do it. Tonight we played to suit the personnel and system on the pitch, which is what you should do IMHO. If you have bigger forwards on then it makes sense to utilise their height more. I think it's good that we can vary our style and play different ways, it keeps the opposition guessing.

Most of the fans I know don't have faith in the manager. The ones that are still going to games that is.  To say it's a few vociferous posters on here is well wide of the mark in my experience of talking to many Town fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:32pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Most of the fans I know don't have faith in the manager. The ones that are still going to games that is.  To say it's a few vociferous posters on here is well wide of the mark in my experience of talking to many Town fans.

Well we have two trust representatives on the board so I guess they are gauging opinion. I guess most people just know like-minded friends who tend to be a similar age and background, to get a truly representative poll is difficult. My impression is we are nowhere near at the stage with the crowd where we were with the other sackings of the Fenty era: Rodger, Woods and Buckley (Newell sacking was a bit different).

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 27 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:32pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Well we have two trust representatives on the board so I guess they are gauging opinion. I guess most people just know like-minded friends who tend to be a similar age and background, to get a truly representative poll is difficult. My impression is we are nowhere near at the stage with the crowd where we were with the other sackings of the Fenty era: Rodger, Woods and Buckley (Newell sacking was a bit different). Plus I feel the players totally back the manager which they didn't with some of the names I have mentioned.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 102
KK_DOG
September 16, 2014, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I am fully behind the Manager and fully behind the team. We were excellent tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 102
headingly_mariner
September 16, 2014, 11:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Quoted from KK_DOG
I am fully behind the Manager and fully behind the team. We were excellent tonight.

Completely agree, I thoroughly enjoyed our performance tonight, I think with a bit of luck with injuries and a couple of key loans we will see this team go on a bit of a run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 102
sparko501
September 16, 2014, 11:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +97
Yay let's all be negative, we were pants, sack hurst, we have no forwards, no one cares about the fans, there's no passion, players don't want it enough, LJL is poop, Disley shouldn't be playing etc etc.......

It's getting a bit boring now!

I thought it was a good point earned tonight, a hard club to face.  Next stop Kidderminster, back the players and the staff, come Christmas we will be up there, sat in 3rd with 2 new forwards and a nice home game against Lincoln to win

Our team put a lot of work in to everything they do week in week out for a conference side, which some fans forget, that we are a conference side.  Onwards and upwards!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 102
pontoonlew
September 16, 2014, 11:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Completely agree, I thoroughly enjoyed our performance tonight, I think with a bit of luck with injuries and a couple of key loans we will see this team go on a bit of a run.

The team can certainly go on a run.

Whether or not the manager will facilitate that is an all together different question. One that I think will take a lot of games to convince fans he will. The lack of consistency is a huge concern, as is the fact a Professional Football manager deems it everybody elses fault but his own for everything, including the fact he's failed to sign a striker after looking for 3 months. It's fine saying injuries haven't helped, but no team with our budget should be down to one striker at any point of the season.

He's still got time in my eyes to prove that, these good performances just shows fans that it can be done. Which is why there is a huge reaction if he makes decisions that hinder that, such as the previous few games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 102
denni266
September 16, 2014, 11:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
seems the rose tinted glasses are out again.. nothing has changed, he has to go if we want to get out of this hell hole
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 102
sparko501
September 17, 2014, 12:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +97
Quoted from denni266
seems the rose tinted glasses are out again.. nothing has changed, he has to go if we want to get out of this hell hole

And who would you prefer to be in charge? Untied of course ......

And who do you think would want to take the job?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 102
cod_head_doug
September 17, 2014, 12:11am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
if you want a straw-poll on tonights performance look no further than the 456 of us who applauded the team and manager off the pitch at the end of the game. With the exception of Paddy and Biggy, every senior player that was fit was playing, and what a shift they put in. Daft free kick and goal conceded in the first 5 minutes but the work rate after that was exceptional, as was the passing game we produced. Neilson was just class and caused them no end of problems. Clay and Brown were like terriers in midfield. We need a few players back from injury or on loan to make the difference. I think the loss of Boyce and Thomas has hit us hard. See you all at Kidderminster for another all action episode.

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 102
arryarryarry
September 17, 2014, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chicaneuk
This 'regime' is doing no worse than those that have come before it in the last couple of years. In fact this 'regime' got us further last season than we've gotten in several years.

So I'd argue we haven't fallen under this 'regime' -  we just haven't gone anywhere better. Yet.

All though I can't really speak for the Old Codger, I assume he was referring to the JF regime not just Paul Hurst's

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 17, 2014, 12:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cod_head_doug
if you want a straw-poll on tonights performance look no further than the 456 of us who applauded the team and manager off the pitch at the end of the game. With the exception of Paddy and Biggy, every senior player that was fit was playing, and what a shift they put in. Daft free kick and goal conceded in the first 5 minutes but the work rate after that was exceptional, as was the passing game we produced. Neilson was just class and caused them no end of problems. Clay and Brown were like terriers in midfield. We need a few players back from injury or on loan to make the difference. I think the loss of Boyce and Thomas has hit us hard. See you all at Kidderminster for another all action episode.

That's good to hear Doug  

There've been plenty on here tonight who think that we might as well not have bothered taking the point from what seems to have been a hard earned draw but the feedback from someone who was there witnessing the endeavours of the team (and the manager too) has a much greater bearing than anyone of us who didn't go and had to rely on radio commentary
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 9:06am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
The Usual Suspects out on here embarrassing themselves again. The only common link I can find between them is that none of them appear to have been there. I didn't speak to anyone during or after the game who wasn't impressed with the whole Town performance..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 9:07am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from sparko501

And who would you prefer to be in charge? Untied of course ......

And who do you think would want to take the job?

Sparko:- They cannot come up with a viable, available alternative with better credentials than Hurst

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 9:17am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pontoonlew

Whether or not the manager will facilitate that is an all together different question. One that I think will take a lot of games to convince fans he will. The lack of consistency is a huge concern, as is the fact a Professional Football manager deems it everybody elses fault but his own for everything, including the fact he's failed to sign a striker after looking for 3 months. It's fine saying injuries haven't helped, but no team with our budget should be down to one striker at any point of the season.

He's still got time in my eyes to prove that, these good performances just shows fans that it can be done. Which is why there is a huge reaction if he makes decisions that hinder that, such as the previous few games.

Your lack of any discernable grasp of the financial considerations for teams at our level is mind-boggling. How on earth can any team plan financially for the instance of injury to three strikers (if you include Arnold)?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 9:19am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Harry Haddock

I take it we wont be seeing you on here until next season then ?

We can but hope.....At least a decent run will have that added bonus-conspicuous by his absence when we win....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 17, 2014, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad
The Usual Suspects out on here embarrassing themselves again. The only common link I can find between them is that none of them appear to have been there. I didn't speak to anyone during or after the game who wasn't impressed with the whole Town performance..

I hope you are omitting me from any judgement you have cast down.

I am simply saying yes we got a point and it seems the 1st half was good but it needs to carried on with another result at kiddy.

we have 5 wins in the league in the last 19 matches going back to end of last season, that is poor form no matter how you look at it.

i didn't even realise it was that bad tbh.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 102
Chrisblor
September 17, 2014, 9:33am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from barralad

This mammary for tat nonsense is getting pathetic. Grow up and accept that some posters are allowed to be critical if they want to be. It's not embarrassing or negativity in most cases - there have been a lot of well considered critiques of the squad and Hurst's shortfallings from some of the so called 'Usual Suspects'. For example yes we played well last night, but if we'd had a striker who could hold the ball up then we'd probably have gone on to win. Hannah put in loads of effort last night, but it was so easy for their defenders to knock him off the ball when it was played into his feet and that led to many of our attacks breaking down. Hurst has to take some blame there because he didn't sign enough strikers, and failed to bring one in after two of them were injured. Drawing last night doesn't make up for the fact we have made stupid defensive mistakes, missed a number of clear chances and dropped points in recent games.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 102
nickmariners
September 17, 2014, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Quoted from Mariner21

Wow --  Specsavers have a deal on.  

God knows what stratospheric standards you apply to football, but we were most definitely not "garbage".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 102
headingly_mariner
September 17, 2014, 9:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think it is fair to say he has been unlucky with injuries so far this season and has not always been able to play as he would like, I tend to agree with him that i don't see any point in signing someone just to boost the numbers of the squad, they have to be good, the players that we have brought in this season look to have real quality and Paul clearly has an eye for a player, a lot on here were furious that he signed Clay and to be honest from what i have seen if he continues to play as he is, he will be the best central midfielder we have had since being at this level.

A striker will come in and i have confidence that he will sign a good one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 9:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Sparko:- They cannot come up with a viable, available alternative with better credentials than Hurst

You are absolutely right Barra. Obviously JF isn't going to take any action without a better available alternative unless the side fails to win for a good number of games and slides away from the play off places. Even then he will hang on until the last minute.

That doesn't mean we should be satisfied with what we've got, on the back of one point away from home after two bad defeats, does it?

We always seem to be making the best of a bad job. So many false dawns, so many rose tints. I'm afraid it has got to the stage after all these years of mismanagement and disappointment that I will only believe this club is seriously on the mend when we are 4 points clear at the top of the Conference with a game to play. Until then, my cynicism will withstand all these one-off "we've turned a corner" type performances.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 102
Rick12
September 17, 2014, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Hagrid
Good to read.With hard work and dedication a lot can be achieved.Hopefully come end the end of the season we are in the playoffs or even winning the league although I admit its a tough call given we are a bit of the pace already

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 102
pontoonlew
September 17, 2014, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from barralad

Your lack of any discernable grasp of the financial considerations for teams at our level is mind-boggling. How on earth can any team plan financially for the instance of injury to three strikers (if you include Arnold)?

Arnold's primary position isn't up front though is it? Anybody could see that 3 strikers (one with a history of injuries) wasn't going to be enough. In fact Hurst knows that himself yet has spent 3 bloody months failing to find one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Praised the performance on another thread, but as I've said before, celebrating a point at Halifax is hardly a ringing advert for the Fenty regime is it?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 102
brad_gtfc
September 17, 2014, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from pontoonlew

Arnold's primary position isn't up front though is it? Anybody could see that 3 strikers (one with a history of injuries) wasn't going to be enough. In fact Hurst knows that himself yet has spent 3 bloody months failing to find one.

Hurst definitely should've gone and bought another striker, but if there isn't one out there who's going to better our squad then its pointless.
I know Hurst has had his faults, nobody is perfect but he hasn't half being unlucky. The recall of Boyce was a big blow, losing Thomas another. Going forward whoever is in the side we look good, just surprisingly, silly defending seems to have cost us recently. You can't legislate or blame Hurst for that, there is only so much he can do from the sidelines.
Also, Arnold has said his favoured position is upfront.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 102
Cott_Mike
September 17, 2014, 12:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +14
First game of the season for me last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. What impressed me most was seeing us having a decent midfield for the first time in a long time.

We also played some nice passing football.

Disley gives you a goal threat, but it looks like his legs have gone.

Like the look of Clay and Brown, plus the lad at left back Magnay.

Overall an encouraging performance.

Will definately be going back (beats the rubbish you see week in week out in the premier league).
Finally big shout out to the 450 town fans, made some great noise and got behind the team for the full 90 minutes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 17, 2014, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Good to read.With hard work and dedication a lot can be achieved.Hopefully come end the end of the season we are in the playoffs or even winning the league although I admit its a tough call given we are a bit of the pace already

Thought I'd even out your scores with a tick seeing as though the red x phantom seems to be out and about again  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 102
kingster72
September 17, 2014, 1:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Yes a good point maybe last night, but so everyone says it should have be 3.  It wasn't, so another 2 points missed and therefore its not a good point after all!  
Everyone says in the circumstances, so we are full-time, Halifax part-time, so should we not be beating part-timers?
Time to get real, it's been an awful start, just 3 wins from 10, with one of the biggest budgets.
I'll give the players credit for a better performance last night, but time for a manager to inspire wins, not draws and defeats against teams with much poorer resources.
#HURSTOUT  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 102
Rick12
September 17, 2014, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Thought I'd even out your scores with a tick seeing as though the red x phantom seems to be out and about again  
Nice gesture thanks.All opinion though isn't it so I take it with a pinch of salt  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:05pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I hope you are omitting me from any judgement you have cast down.

I am simply saying yes we got a point and it seems the 1st half was good but it needs to carried on with another result at kiddy.

we have 5 wins in the league in the last 19 matches going back to end of last season, that is poor form no matter how you look at it.

i didn't even realise it was that bad tbh.

LOL you make it sound almost biblical...Actually I wasn't including you because I hadn't read anything that you'd written...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 17, 2014, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

LOL you make it sound almost biblical...Actually I wasn't including you because I hadn't read anything that you'd written...

May you be reprieved from any satanic act I had presumed  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:33pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Chrisblor

This mammary for tat nonsense is getting pathetic. Grow up and accept that some posters are allowed to be critical if they want to be. It's not embarrassing or negativity in most cases - there have been a lot of well considered critiques of the squad and Hurst's shortfallings from some of the so called 'Usual Suspects'. For example yes we played well last night, but if we'd had a striker who could hold the ball up then we'd probably have gone on to win. Hannah put in loads of effort last night, but it was so easy for their defenders to knock him off the ball when it was played into his feet and that led to many of our attacks breaking down. Hurst has to take some blame there because he didn't sign enough strikers, and failed to bring one in after two of them were injured. Drawing last night doesn't make up for the fact we have made stupid defensive mistakes, missed a number of clear chances and dropped points in recent games.

Cheers for your judgement on my maturity. The people I was referring to are a. those that didn't make any well considered critiques because b. they weren't there. I came back from Halifax on a bit of a "high" because I'd witnessed what I believed to be a very competent performance from a team that was up against it due to injuries and had suffered a bad defeat on Saturday. I came on here hoping for some decent debate regarding the performance and found thankfully loads of it. I don't really have to justify myself but will say I've got no problem at all with people who don't agree with my view on the current situation and acknowledge the well thought out nature and validity of some of the posts listing the short comings in the current set up regularly. What I find embarrassing is people hi-jacking threads about last night's game with comments demeaning the achievement of a point away at one of our main rivals whilst adding nothing of use to the discussion when they haven't attended the game. As freedom of speech works both ways I will reserve my right to criticise them for it whatever others may think of it.
As for the rest of your post I couldn't personally agree more with the majority of it although would take issue with the view that Hurst hasn't signed enough strikers as I believe four should be adequate for any team at our level. The fact that the injuries only happened on Saturday made it very difficult for Hurst to actually get "someone in" before last night's game-as indeed he stated in yesterday's Telegraph. But that, as I'm sure you will agree, is what opinions are all about

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:37pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from kingster72
Yes a good point maybe last night, but so everyone says it should have be 3.  It wasn't, so another 2 points missed and therefore its not a good point after all!  
Everyone says in the circumstances, so we are full-time, Halifax part-time, so should we not be beating part-timers?
Time to get real, it's been an awful start, just 3 wins from 10, with one of the biggest budgets.
I'll give the players credit for a better performance last night, but time for a manager to inspire wins, not draws and defeats against teams with much poorer resources.
#HURSTOUT  

Can I just say...I didn't think it "should have been three" I thought a draw was a fair result....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 3:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Can I just say...I didn't think it "should have been three" I thought a draw was a fair result....

You were there and I wasn't but the commentary and reports suggest you are spot on in your assessment of last night's game. The two sides were reasonably evenly matched.  It means we played as well as the opposition.

The question I would ask though is why people accept that to be a fair result. Logically it makes no sense. For a "big" full time club visiting a part time club, a win would have been the expected result. A performance that results in a draw in those circumstances must surely be considered a below par performance, or else the opposition played above themselves. Well, Halifax certainly didn't do that did they? So that leaves us not playing well enough to do what we ought to be expecting, get 3 points.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 102
TAGG
September 17, 2014, 4:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from GrimRob

Head in sand or up somewhere else if you think "most fans still have faith in the manager"
Look at the polls on her and try listening to the fans.
On the way out the ground & in the pub after Saturdays game not one voice did I hear in his support in fact most wanted him out.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 4:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

As for the rest of your post I couldn't personally agree more with the majority of it although would take issue with the view that Hurst hasn't signed enough strikers as I believe four should be adequate for any team at our level. The fact that the injuries only happened on Saturday made it very difficult for Hurst to actually get "someone in" before last night's game-as indeed he stated in yesterday's Telegraph. But that, as I'm sure you will agree, is what opinions are all about

Are we suggesting that Arnold is our 4th striker? I don't believe a strike rate of around 50 goals in nearly 300 games makes him a striker does it? That said, it's better than Lennies!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 102
cannylad68
September 17, 2014, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
To gain promotion from any league, you have to win away games against the top teams in the league.
Whilst due to circumstances, last night was a good result, statistics say that we need 3 points from these games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 17, 2014, 5:29pm
Brandy Drinker
We also need to acknowledge that we have good players and throughout the season we will have a number of " highs" and good results/performances. Those of us who are less supportive of PH just do not believe there will be enough of these to get us out of this league.

I am always happy when we play well just wish it was more often with a more consistent set of results that return 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 7:27pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from TAGG

Head in sand or up somewhere else if you think "most fans still have faith in the manager"
Look at the poles on her and try listening to the fans.
On the way out the ground & in the pub after Saturdays game not one voice did I hear in his support in fact most wanted him out.

I suggest you listen next time we win....such is the fickleness of "some" fans.

Do we have any Poles on here?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

No, but there's always some cracking Polish totty in Asda in Boston.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 102
oldun
September 17, 2014, 8:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from pontoonlew

But the ones he was interested in did not want to come here. Not a lot he could do about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 102
kingster72
September 17, 2014, 8:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7

Yes the 456 die hards applauded the manager off the pitch, but stick with Hurst and they'll be just 456 at BP soon. 3 wins out of 10 is not good enough, a draw when we've put in a good display is not enough.  The difference between winning does not rely on injured players coming back, or loanees coming in, but Hurst going out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 102
Maringer
September 17, 2014, 9:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,405
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are we suggesting that Arnold is our 4th striker? I don't believe a strike rate of around 50 goals in nearly 300 games makes him a striker does it? That said, it's better than Lennies!

A strike rate of 50 in 300 isn't bad for a winger - which is the position he has generally played throughout his career.

I've certainly read that he claims he can play as a striker. Whether or not this is the case remains to be seen, but you can't say a player hasn't scored enough goals to be a striker when he has mostly been playing on the wing!

When Arnold (eventually) gets fit, I reckon we may well see him playing in a 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 at times (Neilsen playing in 'the hole').
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 9:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from oldun

But the ones he was interested in did not want to come here. Not a lot he could do about that.

Why didn't they want to come? Why is this forward thinking and ambitious club not incredibly attractive to players who can't get a game where they are?

Private Message
Reply: 69 - 102
cod_head_doug
September 17, 2014, 10:09pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from kingster72

Yes the 456 die hards applauded the manager off the pitch, but stick with Hurst and they'll be just 456 at BP soon. 3 wins out of 10 is not good enough, a draw when we've put in a good display is not enough.  The difference between winning does not rely on injured players coming back, or loanees coming in, but Hurst going out!

I disagree, if Paul Hurst is such a bad manager answer me this, how did we manage the two great victories over Gateshead and Alfreton ?
With the limited squad available last night it was a good point and was nearly three. On the other hand we could have lost it, such are the fine margins between victory and defeat. I too am disappointed that we are not at the top of league, but I am a realist, so far this season we have seen the highs with the two great victories with a full squad to choose from and the lows, drawing with dover, etc with a depleted squad. I hope you were at Halifax to see the effort and commitment from the players, it will come good, just keep the faith

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 102
Stevie Saunders
September 17, 2014, 10:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
I don't know if it was this thread where someone referred to posters who get excited when we win as 'smug twa*s' but I find that really offensive and typical of some of the ignorant and disrespectful attitude from a few regulars.
No doubt the response will be "it's a forum mate and I'm entitled to my opinion" and I agree - but there is no reason to be so vitriolic and abusive.
95% of the time my cup is half full with Hurst, GTFC and sticking with the team through thick and thin; two play off places, a Wembley visit in past two seasons is above par in my book.
I admit my patience has been tested in the past few games and I have begun to doubt if we are going to do the business this year (the business being play offs minimum) and have 100% respect for those who want Hurst to be sacked as long as it's well thought out, rational and presents a good argument.
But to slag posters off as 'smug twa*s' when they come on Fishy to express their pleasure at a good point gained at one of the top teams in Conference - the league (or 'hell hole' as it is so calmly referred to), we play in cos we have been 'like a pub team' for several seasons (if that's the language you want) - then that is bang out of order.
The poster who made a derisory comment about 456 people who went last night being 'the number at BP if things continue' is not only similar to the ranting of a right-wing nutjob but also a complete slap in the face to those loyal, devoted fans who made the journey to watch a team who needs all the support it can get.

Before anyone starts... I'm not in tears as I write this, don't have a dummy to spit out, couldn't care less if someone accuses me of wearing rose-tinted glasses, won't be leaving the Fishy if I get criticised, and will be looking forward to Saturday and (dare I say it) three points at Kiddy

Perhaps some posters are incapable of being rational and respective - it's a shame cos it's the club we all love (I think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 102
chaos33
September 17, 2014, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from cannylad68
To gain promotion from any league, you have to win away games against the top teams in the league.
Whilst due to circumstances, last night was a good result, statistics say that we need 3 points from these games.

That may be so, but I'll tell you what you need more than that for promotion - to win your f***ing home games. We've already lost our unbeaten status in less than a month and have failed to beat either of two lesser sides in Nuneaton and Dover. That's much more of a fundamental flaw IMO. For instance, it's no good turning over Barnet or Wrexham at their place if you're then going to lose to Telford, Southport and Altrincham, and draw with Dover and Dartford etc. More than anything, for me, we need to be winning all, or nearly all of our home games and improving significantly on last season, and starting in 2 weeks against Chester. Takes immense pressure off you away, and you'd be surprised how the 'on the road' results crop up positive when you're not under so much pressure.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 17, 2014, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker

I disagree, if Paul Hurst is such a bad manager answer me this, how did we manage the two great victories over Gateshead and Alfreton ?
With the limited squad available last night it was a good point and was nearly three. On the other hand we could have lost it, such are the fine margins between victory and defeat. I too am disappointed that we are not at the top of league, but I am a realist, so far this season we have seen the highs with the two great victories with a full squad to choose from and the lows, drawing with dover, etc with a depleted squad. I hope you were at Halifax to see the effort and commitment from the players, it will come good, just keep the faith

if paul is such a good manager answer me this.....

Why are we still in this league !!

I am still waiting for it to come good nearly 4 years later.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 17, 2014, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Whoopie! We got a point at part time Halifax! We are the club that punched above its weight at Championship level not so long ago, yet now we are happy if we get an away point from mid table 3 leagues lower. As previous, I get no pleasure from defeat, I just want to see progress from our lowest ebb, yet I see none, a reduced budget yet still 3000 loyal fans propping up a club with over 3 million debt, benign or otherwise.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 102
Stevie Saunders
September 17, 2014, 10:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Dear Old Codger

Whoopie! We got a point at part time Halifax!
Yes, a club higher than us and in the same league

We are the club that punched above its weight at Championship level not so long ago
Yes, but we don't now

Yet now we are happy if we get an away point from mid table 3 leagues lower.
Yes, a club higher than us and in the same league

As previous, I get no pleasure from defeat
Really?

I just want to see progress from our lowest ebb
Agree

Yet I see none
Not strictly true - two play off spots and a Wembley final

A reduced budget yet still 3000 loyal fans propping up a club with over 3 million debt, benign or otherwise.
Remarkable isn't it that these loyal fans support their club so passionately and GTFC hasn’t gone the way of Darlington, Rushden etc despite not being able to attract investment and still remaining remarkably competitive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 102
TAGG
September 17, 2014, 10:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I do listen win lose or draw.
It would be good if the Trust guys start listening and putting forward the concerns of the majority of the fans.  
It may be that I dont get in or around the Directors box every game that I don't hear a good word to be said about Hurst
Hurst will never get this club promoted.

Send me some lines for the typo  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 102
friskneymariner
September 17, 2014, 11:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
My mates missus is Lithuanian thats near Poland.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 102
oldun
September 18, 2014, 7:18am

Whiskey Drinker

Why didn't they want to come? Why is this forward thinking and ambitious club not incredibly attractive to players who can't get a game where they are?

That's a fair question and I don't know the answer, but those at the club will know and I am sure they did their best to sign PH's targets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 102
oldun
September 18, 2014, 7:19am

Whiskey Drinker

That's a fair question and I don't know the answer, but those at the club will know and I am sure they did their best to sign PH's targets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2014, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stevie Saunders

As previous, I get no pleasure from defeat
Really?

Yet I see none
Not strictly true - two play off spots and a Wembley final

A reduced budget yet still 3000 loyal fans propping up a club with over 3 million debt, benign or otherwise.
Remarkable isn't it that these loyal fans support their club so passionately and GTFC hasn’t gone the way of Darlington, Rushden etc despite not being able to attract investment and still remaining remarkably competitive

I want us to win every game and every defeat means an increased likelihood of staying in this league. Play off spots mean nothing if they don't result in promotion and the Wembley final is a final that wouldn't be available if we weren't in the Bananarama league.

Also, it's remarkable that Darlington and Rushden always get mentioned whilst other clubs that haven risen from the ashes (Rotherham, Luton, Oxford and others) don't. Truth is that nobody knows what would have happened if we had gone into administration.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 102
barralad
September 18, 2014, 2:46pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from TAGG

I do listen win lose or draw.
It would be good if the Trust guys start listening and putting forward the concerns of the majority of the fans.  
It may be that I dont get in or around the Directors box every game that I don't hear a good word to be said about Hurst
Hurst will never get this club promoted.

Send me some lines for the typo  

I can only assume you have me mixed up with someone else. I go nowhere near the Directors box. As for your views being the views of "the majority of fans" it is questionable whether those views are shared by a majority of posters on here-never mind the fan base as a whole.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 102
nickmariners
September 18, 2014, 9:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Look at the polls on her and try listening to the fans.

Your view doesn't reflect that of the majority of the fans that I know - most of whom are reasonable and realistic about where we are and what PH is doing.

To be fed up with Town's plummet down the Leagues is common to all fans, and to be concerned about us turning it all round again is a universal feature of being a Town fan. Having accepted that shared starting point, constant moaning doesn't strike me as being insightful, helpful or supportive.

Personally, I try to enjoy each game as it comes, and get behind the team. Without a credible "regime change" plan, relentless complaining doesn't help the team, the club, or anyone.

Wake up at the back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2014, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

Your view doesn't reflect that of the majority of the fans that I know - most of whom are reasonable and realistic about where we are and what PH is doing.

To be fed up with Town's plummet down the Leagues is common to all fans, and to be concerned about us turning it all round again is a universal feature of being a Town fan. Having accepted that shared starting point, constant moaning doesn't strike me as being insightful, helpful or supportive.

Personally, I try to enjoy each game as it comes, and get behind the team. Without a credible "regime change" plan, relentless complaining doesn't help the team, the club, or anyone.

Wake up at the back!

So we just need to cough up £18 a game and wait?
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 102
ivanosandwich
September 18, 2014, 9:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes, because as fans, supporting the team on the pitch is all we have control over.

We don't pick the team, we don't attend training, we don't buy players.

As fans, all we can do is turn up, spend £18 and support the team, who incidentally often comment on how the support can and does make a difference.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 102
TAGG
September 18, 2014, 10:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

Wake up at the back!

Relentless acceptance of mediocrity doesn't help.  

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2014, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ivanosandwich

Yes, because as fans, supporting the team on the pitch is all we have control over.

We don't pick the team, we don't attend training, we don't buy players.

As fans, all we can do is turn up, spend £18 and support the team, who incidentally often comment on how the support can and does make a difference.

Propping up mediocrity and the debt that no-one wants.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 102
Stevie Saunders
September 18, 2014, 11:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Mediocre? Yes
Propping up debt? Yes
But what the hell can you do about it other than stop going which I have no intention of doing
I've been 'married' to Grimsby Town for over 30 years and, for better for worse, you don't walk out on your 'spouse' when the going gets tough

Support is vital to any partnership

UTM!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 19, 2014, 5:12am
Vodka Drinker
Mediocre? Yes
Propping up debt? Yes
But what the hell can you do about it other than stop going which I have no intention of doing
I've been 'married' to Grimsby Town for over 30 years and, for better for worse, you don't walk out on your 'spouse' when the going gets tough

UTM!

What about if you feel that spouse has so much potential but keeps leading you a merry dance ?

You want a divorce but cant say goodbye..

Welcome to GTFC.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 102
rancido
September 19, 2014, 4:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Mediocre? Yes
Propping up debt? Yes

UTM!

" God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
  Courage to change the things I can,
  And the wisdom to know the difference ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 102
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 5:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
two play off places, a Wembley visit in past two seasons is above par in my book.

From that comment I would draw the inference that you only started following Town when we were in the Conference. But I suspect that's not the case. Coming 4th in the 5th division and not winning the non-League Cup seems below par for our history and size.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

From that comment I would draw the inference that you only started following Town when we were in the Conference. But I suspect that's not the case. Coming 4th in the 5th division and not winning the non-League Cup seems below par for our history and size.

Abso-fricking-lutely, I will be over the moon if this is our last appearance in the FA Trophy.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Relentless acceptance of mediocrity doesn't help.  

So -- what's your plan then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My understanding was that you didn't go to matches...but in any case, is your "solution" just to complain?

If you can find little to appreciate in Town, then it's entirely your own business how you choose to manifest your support. However - to me it comes across as relentless repetitive negativity.

If you do have a good plan to turn around the club and team's fortunes,  spell it out - if it's good and achievable, you might get support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 102
nickmariners
September 19, 2014, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My understanding was that you didn't go to matches...but in any case, is your "solution" just to complain?

If you can find little to appreciate in Town, then it's entirely your own business how you choose to manifest your support. However - to me it comes across as relentless repetitive negativity.

If you do have a good plan to turn around the club and team's fortunes,  spell it out - if it's good and achievable, you might get support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 102
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

I do go to matches, just not till the winter months or to night games. My plan is simple and probably shared by many - appoint a manager with the nous to get us back into the league, give him a budget that will attract players with the skills to achieve said goal and clarify what the clubs financial situation is. Is the clubs debt a millstone round the neck of our future or not?

Mr Fenty has come on here and been honest enough to accept that he won't fund BP indefinitely and that a new stadium is critical to the clubs future. But will it come soon enough? Do we need to be promoted for it to happen?
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 102
TAGG
September 19, 2014, 10:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

So -- what's your plan then?

Its not plan its just a wish.
For people at the top and some fans alike to stop accepting mediocrity. Is that a bit clearer???????????

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 102
Stevie Saunders
September 19, 2014, 11:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Kingston Mariner
You are wrong - I have been supporting GTFC since the early 1980s
I have seen some great Mariners teams punch well above their weight and loved every minute but....
My point about 'above par' is purely in relation to where we are now as a club - non-league after years of depressing decline
I accept this as the reality we are living in and so any improvement is welcome; of course I'd love to see us get promoted but we are not going to find it that easy as many teams (Luton a prime example) have proved.

Any comments I make are based purely on the 'reality' of where we have found ourselves
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 102
nickmariners
September 20, 2014, 2:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Its not plan its just a wish.
For people at the top and some fans alike to stop accepting mediocrity. Is that a bit clearer???????????

????  = !!!!!

Absolutely clear -- 1) you have no plan, and 2) you think that "some fans" cheering on a good Town result away at Halifax is "accepting mediocrity" and 3) supporting good performances and trying wring some small pleasure out of following Town somehow makes "some fans" complicit in our fall from grace.

Jaysus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 102
September 22, 2014, 7:20am
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor
This mammary for tat nonsense is getting pathetic. Grow up and accept that some posters are allowed to be critical if they want to be. It's not embarrassing or negativity in most cases - there have been a lot of well considered critiques of the squad and Hurst's shortfallings from some of the so called 'Usual Suspects'.

Nothing wrong with "well considered critiques" or constructive criticism, bring em on.
Trouble is, EVERY time the "usual suspects" complain Hurst out (with some assumed vision of a Mourinho joining), the team bounces back and proves them wrong. (often in difficult circumstances !)

Course, everyone is wrong sometimes (even Hurst).
Once, twice, 3 times fine.
10-20 on the trot ????!!!  

We've heard the phrase "rose-tints" but it's the "mud-tints" who keep getting it wrong every time.
Fact is, they have a FAR worse record in recording defeats than Hurst.
By my reckoning, the next 15 kneejerk reactions need to be correct just to break even and save face !

Not having a go (or including you), but if you were a so called "rose tint", what would YOU think if the same individuals kept saying "This is how bad it is, things will never improve" then 1/2 games later it wasn't but the same kneejerk cycle kept repeating endlessly after every "disappointment" ?  
Wouldn't you wonder if those questioning were EVER gonna start to question themselves ?
Many openly accept they are "cynical", won't be happy until Town are mathematically clear (i.e. expecting too much) or just appear like they're living in the past still carrying a chip on their shoulder.

Quoted from barralad

Sad but true.

Personally I don't expect some fans to be a super-predictors or see things objectively or "in depth".
But when you point out the obvious and it won't wash, I start to wonder what their agenda is.

If we ever accept we EXPECT(!) to beat Halifax, it's a simple leap to say we should beat everyone, home and away.
And truth is, some expect us to win every game !
The perfect excuse to constantly criticize throughout the entire season...
Even if that miracle happened I'd still expect to hear how we've fallen, mismanagement over the last x years etc if we lost the first few in league 2.
I may be wrong but arrived at the sad conclusion whatever happens in future, it will never be good enough for "some".  

I notice "home form" is the next buzz term. (forget "tinkering" as Oates came straight in and scored...)
As always, it's all about expecting us to win the next game...
And every remaining one after that too = some fan expectations are unrealistically unfair and crazy.
Intentional or not, fact is there's there's no easier way to fall short, be proved right and say "I told you so !"  

For me, having NO reason to ever be cheerful or hopeful until the team gets promoted defeats the whole object of being a supporter if you can't enjoy the highs along the way.
Reply: 99 - 102
arryarryarry
September 22, 2014, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

????  = !!!!!

Absolutely clear -- 1) you have no plan, and 2) you think that "some fans" cheering on a good Town victory away at Halifax is "accepting mediocrity" and 3) supporting good performances and trying wring some small pleasure out of following Town somehow makes "some fans" complicit in our fall from grace.

Jaysus.

Erm, we haven't won at Halifax.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 102
nickmariners
September 22, 2014, 1:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, we haven't won at Halifax.

sodomist it.  senior moment!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 102
arryarryarry
September 22, 2014, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners

sodomist it.  senior moment!

Don't worry I have them all the time.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 102
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done players and gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.