3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
maxfox44
September 17, 2014, 9:15am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Guys

Genuine question, not looking to stir up the whole is LJL good enough debate.  But I'm more interested to know from those who went last night, if we actually play better and more effective football with LJL?
I saw the Welling game and we certainly played better and smarter attacking play in their half, but I wasn't too convinced, as Welling were supposed to be a poor and relegation haunted team of part-timers.  But if we as some have said were great last night, is this in part (not solely the reason) down to not being able to hit a target man with direct balls?

Are the majority of our players suited to quick passing, on the floor without a big man to "hold it up"?

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
September 17, 2014, 9:15am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
If you read the just back thread you'll find that question has been answered.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
pontoonlew
September 17, 2014, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Rough quote from Paul Hurst after the Welling game "without Lenny there we needed to play it on the ground and play smarter"

So, with him on the pitch we have to lump it up do we? None of that is Lenny's fault, just a classic example of having a big guy up top so people insisting we must just dump it up to him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
maxfox44
September 17, 2014, 10:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
Interesting that we seem to play around one player (LJL), yet without him, the others players play better together.

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Jarmo.Is.God
September 17, 2014, 10:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
if we played like we did last night, but with the shop up top, we would have won IMO, help it up, played it to a midfielder.

BUT, its too easy to just hoof it to him, play it on the floor to him and we will do alot better.

also bring Pittman in for Mackreth when fit, and we have a bloody good team.

Mackreth would be a good impact sub IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
wiggers
September 17, 2014, 10:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +460
Gold Stars: 11
If the Shop is playing why do we need to resort to hitting it long? I actually think he's quite good with the ball at his feet. I would like to see him up top on his own, play the 5 in midfield, I would swap Disley for Paddy though. Every time I've seen Town this season where they've played the passing game they've looked really good. Please PH get us playing like this all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
GrimRob
September 17, 2014, 11:08am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
The thing is songs to keep the opposition guessing. If we line up the same way every week its easier for teams to suss out our weaknesses.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 22
rancido
September 17, 2014, 11:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
The current trend , certainly in Spain, South America and Italy, is to play without a recognised target man. Unless he is exceptional in the air it is all too easy for defenders to play them out of the game when it comes to aerial battles. LJL can be very effective with the ball at his feet and last night demonstrated that we don't need to play the high ball down the throat of the opposition to get results. I hope PH has learnt from this but more importantly that the players have and keep their nerve in games as opposed to lumping it forward to relieve the pressure. The passing game from defence will always draw the opposition to the ball carrier and thus create spaces to exploit.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
RoboCod
September 17, 2014, 12:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
These arguments will always rage, especially in the madhouse that is the Conference. Once again Lincoln have an early runner in the top scorers section, Burrow, a player who I honestly have not heard anything really good about from Lincoln fans. Couple of Lincoln fans I know say he does little, and he didn't contribute a great deal to the game at Sincil Bank yet took his one chance very well.

Not very great player in a midtable-at-best team which has 5 defeats in its last 6 games and includes Mendy in its lineup has 5 goals  
Play it on the deck or hoof it, we just don't score enough goals even when the chances are made.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
GrimRob
September 17, 2014, 12:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RoboCod
These arguments will always rage, especially in the madhouse that is the Conference. Once again Lincoln have an early runner in the top scorers section, Burrow, a player who I honestly have not heard anything really good about from Lincoln fans. Couple of Lincoln fans I know say he does little, and he didn't contribute a great deal to the game at Sincil Bank yet took his one chance very well.

Not very great player in a midtable-at-best team which has 5 defeats in its last 6 games and includes Mendy in its lineup has 5 goals  
Play it on the deck or hoof it, we just don't score
enough goals even when the chances are made.

Only Barnet have scored more than us  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Without LJL

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.