MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Pace and power was what we lacked up top on Tuesday, I imagine he will go straight in tomorrow, there are some right bellends on here, I imagine nobody on this thread has seen him play so until that happens I'll reserve judgement on his ability. He could be good, might be excrement, we don't know yet but Hurst's signings have generally been good.

That'll be why we're in our lowest league position since he took over then  
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 103
Maringer
September 19, 2014, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hurst's history at bringing in/keeping strikers is hardly brilliant is it. Hearn is about the only one everyone can agree was a success.

The last two seasons, Hurst and Scott didn't need to sign a first choice striker. They were expecting Hearn to be starting most games and firing the goals in for us. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way due to his injuries.

Still not sure what happened this season. I'm pretty certain that Hurst thought that he would get Jennings and/or Bogle to sign and the fact that we were linked with them for so long would seem to indicate that it was on the cards for a long time. I seem to think that he initially sounded relatively confident about signings. When they both fell through he was back to square one and he certainly still needs to get a couple of attacking players into the squad.

Hopefully this young lad will do OK either to tide us over until we can get some other players in/back fit or to prove himself enough to earn a longer term loan move.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 103
September 19, 2014, 7:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Buckley says in his autobiography that he used to have a helluva job attracting quality strikers/players when he was managing us on Div 2 - always been regarded as an outpost, a run down depressed town, and not very appealing for some players with families etc
It's not nice to hear but it's the truth
Loan move to Woking for southern-based players has more appeal to a lot of players, for example, cos it's close to London
Even Lincoln - and I hate writing this - is a far more attractive place to work (after all that's what it is... a job);  more central, nice city, not far from Nottingham

People (footballers) have far more choice than 30/40 yars ago and that includes lifestyle choice; hence a lot of very players stay part-time and have a job outside the game to boost their salary etc

We have limited funds and Hurst tries to spend it as wisely as possible - can't be easy, hence he doesn't panic buy but takes his time

[/b]Even Lincoln [- and I hate writing this - is a far more attractive place to work (after all that's what it is... a job);  more central, nice city[b]

Why do people bang on about lincoln being so nice, am I missing something?because If you take the big church out it then becomes just another shitty town.
I often frequent the place through work and find it a grim little place, I've done a bit of shopping there and it's excrement, even shittier in the rain, as for a night out unless your the scruffy student type it really is nothing special, I'd go as far as to say that I've had a better night in scunny.
Reply: 62 - 103
September 19, 2014, 7:48pm
Guest User
There is a big strong forward  at barrow just the type the tinkerman is after, he's banging them in, maybe Hurst should look at him instead of bringing in an inexperienced kid.
Reply: 63 - 103
gtfc71
September 19, 2014, 7:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't know what a lot of very players are but the best way to get players to Grimsby is to pay them more than other clubs. It's not the most palatable scenario, but I really believe that you need to spend your way out of this league.

Very little doubt there is a strong correlation between budget and league position come May.

To be fair, we have a top 5 budget and have had each year in the conference. A top 2 budget each year would probably have cost the best part of another million pounds in total. And it's money we don't have. Are you suggesting the club should have another million in debt and risk its survival?

And remember, we went down from league 2 with  I believe one of the top 3 budgets in L2! The exception that proves the rule...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 103
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from gtfc71

Very little doubt there is a strong correlation between budget and league position come May.

To be fair, we have a top 5 budget and have had each year in the conference. A top 2 budget each year would probably have cost the best part of another million pounds in total. And it's money we don't have. Are you suggesting the club should have another million in debt and risk its survival?

And remember, we went down from league 2 with  I believe one of the top 3 budgets in L2! The exception that proves the rule...

It's a key question, risk owing 4 million instead of 3? The reward being back in the league with the likely benefit of better long term finance and ability to attract better players to play in a new stadium.

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 103
RoboCod
September 19, 2014, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 2578

Why do people bang on about lincoln being so nice, am I missing something?because If you take the big church out it then becomes just another shitty town.
I often frequent the place through work and find it a grim little place, I've done a bit of shopping there and it's excrement, even shittier in the rain, as for a night out unless your the scruffy student type it really is nothing special, I'd go as far as to say that I've had a better night in scunny.

It hasn't exactly attracted a high quality of player in the last 30 odd years or they'd have made some movement out of the basement division. It's the place where players like Alan Power come to retire.

The problem isn't Grimsby as much as non-league Grimsby I'd say.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 103
gtfc71
September 19, 2014, 8:23pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's a key question, risk owing 4 million instead of 3? The reward being back in the league with the likely benefit of better long term finance and ability to attract better players to play in a new stadium.

I'd certainly agree that a new stadium is crucial to our long term survival. Almost regardless of the league we are in. GTFC has to get new revenue streams coming into the club to be long term sustainable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 103
headingly_mariner
September 19, 2014, 8:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

Why have there been so many of them then, ?

So many comings and goings because of where I live and family commitments I can only get to a few games each season lately,

AND

Every time I have to ask Terry  Hall who is who.

To be fair, these recent seasons are the first time we have had any continuity with the squad for years, there haven't been that many changes and i stand by his signings being good.

I realise you don't see many games and I imagine that is why your opinion seems to go along with whatever way the wind is blowing on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 103
Abdul19
September 19, 2014, 9:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from 2578
There is a big strong forward  at barrow just the type the tinkerman is after, he's banging them in, maybe Hurst should look at him instead of bringing in an inexperienced kid.

I'll give you big, but I don't remember him being that strong.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Barnsley striker signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.